Water is wet moment. Mat Piscatella: "Alan Wake II would have likely benefitted from having a physical release imo"

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It's the perfect time for these companies to learn but they wont, will they?

It's always amazing to me how determined some companies, especially in gaming are to deny what consumers want and push in the opposite direction. To try and push things no consumer asked for...

Time to listen. IMO
They make more money and score brownie points for “saving the earth”, so there’s nothing to listen to.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
They make more money and score brownie points for “saving the earth”, so there’s nothing to listen to.
Imagine how many sales channels you miss out on. It’s not just about the disc, it’s about being on a shelf at the store you visit, it’s about being on Amazon, etc. etc. Market penetration.

I’m adamant Xbox lack of success is their diminished retail presence. It looks small and insignificant next to the PS offering. It has a brand effect.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
But this doesn't go against what I stated above either. Can't really argue with the data. The vast majority of games are sold digitally, so adding physical wouldn't turn a sales clunker into a hit ... correct?

Physical games still have a pretty large market. It’s not insignificant.

The point is it would have sold more if there was a physical option.

The vast majority of games are sold digitally mostly because of smaller independent games. The bigger games all get physical releases. Those digital only independent games are included into the percentage different with physical. The thing is there aren’t any physical only games in comparison.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
It's somewhere here in the forum, can't be arsed to go and find it.

I do find it weird that people keep clapping for the loss of physical though.

You’re taking about the sales info that showed new games selling 50% physical.

I believe I quoted it. I’ll find it.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Thank you, this is it.

I sincerely don't get where the "most people buy digital anyway" when talking about consoles. Yes, Sony reports like a 30/70 split for example, but there's a fuckload of games, especially indies, that are digital only. Games that are available physically usually sell really well in that medium.

Seems like so many people want a future of console gaming without physical, as if others owning a piece of plastic that allows them to resell or collect, if they want to, somehow impacts on their life.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Thank you, this is it.

I sincerely don't get where the "most people buy digital anyway" when talking about consoles. Yes, Sony reports like a 30/70 split for example, but there's a fuckload of games, especially indies, that are digital only. Games that are available physically usually sell really well in that medium.

Seems like so many people want a future of console gaming without physical, as if others owning a piece of plastic that allows them to resell or collect, if they want to, somehow impacts on their life.
It impacts the bottom-line of the daddy figure companies they're hopelessly fanatical about. It's all massively idiotic from low IQ morons.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
We have another thread saying less than 10% of Playstation games sold are physical... Assuming this game is going to sell best on PS5, it's going to sell best on PS5 digitally. Maybe the game isn't selling because Epic is a lousy publisher bad at marketing?
I think you mistook the other thread.
That was revenue and included digital games only (these have bigger revenue due no retail cut and less aggressive promotions).

At average for titles with both the difference is around 40% physical + 60% digital… some even are 50/50.
But that weird thread failed to understand that.