WB will focus more on Live-Service games going forward - David Zaslav, Q3 Earnings Call

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Are they really competing that much? Sony doesn't even have a streaming service. TLOU is made by HBO. Marvel is Disney so Sony is neutral with DC.

Maybe WB artists are competing with Sony Music on Spotify I don't know 🤷‍♂️

They didn't work with Sony for Mortal Kombat 1 and it shows. Very little hype and marketing cycle. Not sure who made that decision. Ed Boon is friend with Phil so maybe he didn't want to work with the enemy.
Sony Pictures Core and a large stake in Tubi are both streaming services, last I checked. Sony also still owns a perpetual license for Spider-Man movies until and unless they go ten years without making another one.

You should do a little research now and then.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Our focus," he continued, "is on transforming our biggest franchises from largely console and PC based with three-four year release schedules to include more always on gameplay through live services, multiplatform and free-to-play extensions, with the goal to have more players spending more time on more platforms.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Oh well, if that's their way forward, I will "focus" spending my time and money on games of other publishers.

Reactions: Sloane_Ranger

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony Pictures Core and a large stake in Tubi are both streaming services, last I checked. Sony also still owns a perpetual license for Spider-Man movies until and unless they go ten years without making another one.

You should do a little research now and then.
None of that changes anything for WB. Bravia Core is not really a streaming service. You buy movies individually.

I fail to see why WB would refuse to work for Sony because they have a Spider-Man license. Ridiculous.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
None of that changes anything for WB. Bravia Core is not really a streaming service. You buy movies individually.

I fail to see why WB would refuse to work for Sony because they have a Spider-Man license. Ridiculous.
Because businesses in the same line of business don't collaborate with the competition. IT's silly/insane to think two corporations that have so much overlap would even want to partner.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They are not competing In the Game Space though? They are partners in the streaming space. In-Fact they just gave MAX the worldwide streaming rights to Twisted Metal.

They should definitely be aligning more in the gaming space and that can't be debated. It's simply beneficial to both

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

It's a movie streaming service, there are no two ways about it.

Their own promotion (from the web site)

Experience Pure Stream™, the highest in streaming picture quality5​

BRAVIA CORE features Pure Stream™, which can stream HDR movies at up to 80Mbps – similar to 4K UHD Blu-ray6– on a wide range of content. This means significantly more detail, color and contrast than conventional 15-25Mbps streaming content.

It must look amazing, I'll probably give it a spin.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Seriously I can't believe I have to explain this 🤦

I meant something like Netflix or Disney+ with monthly subscribers. I'm sure WB is worried about Tubi and Bravia Core 🙄
I can't believe you are such a magical combination of naive and thick-skulled that you don't get why COMPETITORS don't co-operate.

Seriously, dude. WTF.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I can't believe you are such a magical combination of naive and thick-skulled that you don't get why COMPETITORS don't co-operate.

Seriously, dude. WTF.
Giant corporations can have cooperative relationships in some aspects of their business while they compete ferociously in the rest.

From an old Harvard Business School article:
General Motors and Toyota assemble automobiles, Siemens and Philips develop semiconductors, Canon supplies photocopiers to Kodak, France’s Thomson and Japan’s JVC manufacture videocassette recorders.
This happens all the time.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Seriously, dude. WTF.
??? They cooperate plenty with Hogwarts, TLOU HBO and Suicide Squad.

Let's drop it because it's really not that serious. I'm done with this subject.

real housewives nene GIF

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
He's not wrong though. For example Sony buys QD-OLED panels from Samsung for their TVs despite competing with them in smartphones AND TVs.
Different parts of the company that operate almost like seperate entities, Just like Sony Pictures. Vs Sony camera sensors etc. Apple buys Samsung panels too.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
That’s more of a seller-buyer interaction in the majority of cases.
What about MS selling windows licenses even though they are selling complete computers now?

Or different companies participating in Open Source software projects while they compete with the final products (edge and chrome use the same base these days).

Or all the gas stations communicating to set gas prices at the pump?

My grandfather had a racing team, even these people kept helping each other's teams before the races, slightly different but the same spirit.

This list goes on and on.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty