[WC] PC gamers experiencing crashes with 13/14th gen Intel Core i9 CPUs | UP: Intel issues microcode update - update your BIOS now!

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

New microcode patch is out. Based on community testing it does what it's supposed to : limits VID requests above 1.55V.

Personal opinion that's still way too high, but maybe CPUs will stop degrading within a month and last a few years. Imo I wouldn't be comfortable with anything higher than 1.45V.

Varied impressions ranging from no performance loss to 10+% performance impact depending on the application.

• Informative
Reactions: Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

New microcode patch is out. Based on community testing it does what it's supposed to : limits VID requests above 1.55V.

Personal opinion that's still way too high, but maybe CPUs will stop degrading within a month and last a few years. Imo I wouldn't be comfortable with anything higher than 1.45V.

Varied impressions ranging from no performance loss to 10+% performance impact depending on the application.
All this install now! install now! Dont wait!!! Is making me wait. 🧐

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
How do I find out what gen my i9 is? I bought my laptop in 2020.
Isn't usually the name is on the laptop?
Just open specs of laptop, check the name of the processor, cross check it on internet.

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
This microcode update is kind of bullshit. The voltage spikes that were happening before which were degrading the silicon are still happening, they’re just shorter. Apparently they will only noticeably degrade the silicon once the warranty period has ended now. Great job, Intel.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
How do I find out what gen my i9 is? I bought my laptop in 2020.
Craptor Lake released in 2022, you're safe

This microcode update is kind of bullshit. The voltage spikes that were happening before which were degrading the silicon are still happening, they’re just shorter. Apparently they will only noticeably degrade the silicon once the warranty period has ended now. Great job, Intel.

frame chasers is a bullshit peddler. you can't catch the dangerous voltage spikes with software because the voltages spikes are shorter than the polling window of most software. >1.4V will degrade silicon under high heat scenarios, but the intel chips don't get that high under load. The problems happen when transitioning between idle and loaded or when initiating a demanding boost clock. They were getting short 1-5ms spikes to >1.6V, which have been sort of addressed in this update. IMO they should have limited it to 1.45 but maybe they would have lost too much performance. Also the lifetime average voltage doesn't matter, Voltage under 1.4V won't degrade the silicon no matter how long you run it. The dangerous times are the spikes of voltage above 1.45V, the more heat and load and time the more it degrades above that threshold.

Last edited:
Reactions: arvfab

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Craptor Lake released in 2022, you're safe

frame chasers is a bullshit peddler. you can't catch the dangerous voltage spikes with software because the voltages spikes are shorter than the polling window of most software. >1.4V will degrade silicon under high heat scenarios, but the intel chips don't get that high under load. The problems happen when transitioning between idle and loaded or when initiating a demanding boost clock. They were getting short 1-5ms spikes to >1.6V, which have been sort of addressed in this update. IMO they should have limited it to 1.45 but maybe they would have lost too much performance. Also the lifetime average voltage doesn't matter, Voltage under 1.4V won't degrade the silicon no matter how long you run it. The dangerous times are the spikes of voltage above 1.45V, the more heat and load and time the more it degrades above that threshold.
Not sure if you watched the video or not but he’s just testing the CPU and watching the spikes in HWiNFO, and it’s catching them, both before and after the microcode update. Instead of just writing him off as a bullshit peddler, how about addressing his findings…

Dude has been team Intel for the longest time and takes any opportunity to shit on AMD.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not sure if you watched the video or not but he’s just testing the CPU and watching the spikes in HWiNFO, and it’s catching them, both before and after the microcode update. Instead of just writing him off as a bullshit peddler, how about addressing his findings…

Dude has been team Intel for the longest time and takes any opportunity to shit on AMD.
he's a bullshit peddler because of his other videos, not just this one. HWinfo only polls as fast as 20ms increments, and at that speed it starts to interfere with the actual processes on the CPU so you're not getting reliable readings, and besides he hasn't even set the polling rate below 0.5-1s per tick. You can literally see that his hwinfo isn't updating except every second or so. That's not enough to pick up spikes, we already have other people like buildzoid who have hooked up a professional oscilloscope to the CPU and measured 1.54V spikes which is far higher than the 1.46 or whatever that framechasers saw.