"We just can't say that" (the truth) - Phil Spencer to Tim Stuart (Xbox CFO) regarding exclusivity of Zenimax (aka Bethesda) titles.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022

"We can't say that" (the truth, hence lie or omit).

Those were the words of Philochio Spencer in a conversation between Spencer and Stuart regarding Zenimax IPs exclusivity.

Tim Stuart: Wish we could just go out and say we were taking it all exclusive at this point.
Phil Spencer: Your words sure did stir up a lot of stuff.
Phil Spencer: We can’t say that.

Lawyers press Stuart: This was when Spencer made the decision on exclusivity. Stuart to a colleague: "Not just new IP but ALL games going forward? Wow."

Lawyer: "You wrote 'wow' because that would be a very big decision communicated to you that Spencer made, right?

Stuart: "I suppose so."

----------------------------------------
Now why is this important? Naturally we all know if you're a platform holder you acquire IP's to make them exclusive to your platform to help your platform differentiate from the competition and sell more of your platform. Standard. The problem is as always with the lies and the cover up. When you have execs, like Philochio Spencer going out to the media to squash "potential consumer backlash" by using lies and deceit and creating wrong expectations that were never meant to be lived up to.

Case in point remember these talking points: "on a case by case basis" and "legacy IP"...ALL BS from a professional bullshitter :ROFLMAO::D. Caught in 4k, 30 fps. Not to mention misleading regulators at large, including the corrupt EU commission that loves to be "mislead" somehow, again and again.

Elders Scrolls VI on PS... bye bye.

#WOW

Last edited:

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Oh, this was about Bethesda titles? I thought it was about Minecraft only. What a load of crap.

24 Jun 2022
Was always the right assumption on my part. Next DOOM, next Elder Scrolls, next Quake, next Wolfenstein, etc. would be Xbox console exclusives.

If MS hadn't virtue-signaled about being "pro-consumer" and pushing out Nice Guy Phil™, and just been truthful about intentions from the jump, there probably wouldn't have been so much pushback. But add them being hypocritical on top of that, and it's just a recipe for disaster.

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
Nice guy Phil act backfired on them. None of this would have happened if they were honest about exclusivity from the get go. Buying Bethesda and making all their games exclusive while pretending to be “pro-consumer” and against exclusivity is what has landed them in this tough spot now. Bunch of idiots.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Wow GIF

Dare people to tweet 'Wow' at Phil!