We may be on the Verge of Microsoft abandoning Xbox hardware

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022

If past trends hold true, we may see Microsoft move away from Xbox consoles, which they have never really succeeded at. Even the 360 generation saw the rrod debacle engulf their entire hardware production.

Now looking back on the windows phone, a trend seems to emerge.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Everything is possible. I just don't see a company like MS gifting 40 or so million gamers hooked on Xbox gratuitously to Sony just because "MS is tired of throwing money away and not being number 1".

Copium has a higher probability.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not if Sony can help it. They need Xbox alive to release MLB on Gamepass and Marathon there.

Xbox situation is pretty dire but for Xbox to abandon the console market it would take was for Sony to also hurt Xbox back by cutting them off some key games but so far they have done none of that while allowing Xbox to do it to them. MS smells blood now and before giving up they'll probably try to kill PlayStation on last time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
View attachment 1886

I can't find that one!
Let's make it official then. I'm calling a meeting and bringing an expert.

Walter White Walk GIF by Breaking Bad

• Surprised
Reactions: Jim Ryan

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Not if Sony can help it. They need Xbox alive to release MLB and Marathon there.
Eventually all Sony first party GAAS games as well. Why not? Remember "Go where the gamers are" "When we all play we all win" "Sony is making money" " anything > $0" "Sony will make more money to make single player games".

When the retarded talking points are lined up like that it's truly something to behold.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Eventually all Sony first party GAAS games as well. Why not? Remember "Go where the gamers are" "When we all play we all win" "Sony is making money" " anything > $0"
That's how it went with PC.

Long are the days of E3 2013~E3 2016 where Sony had a clear drive to make PlayStation sucessful. Now Sony just accepts their constant PR beatings, MS/Activison mud slinging and then offers the other cheek while pretending they haven't noticed anything. It's all about short term for Jimbo, reducing costs where possible (unless we are talking about GaaS/mobile/PC).

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I thought it was an actual article from the Verge. Oh well.

NPD for August and September will be interesting. The showcase didn't help much for June in UK, their second biggest market. Judging by the awful sales in Spain and Japan, things are still the same.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think it's possible that they do move away from xbox hardware if they're allowed to put gamepass on other storefronts (e.g. Apple, PS, Steam)

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
They have at least one more gen in them. I do expect them to become very aggressive this fall with pushing console sales.

16 Feb 2023
Honestly I don't see Microsoft pulling out of the gaming business at this point, assuming Activision closes they're in too deep. I can see them pulling a Sega though and just exiting the hardware business, it's not causing the growth in gamepass that they expected, costs a lot in R&D and has very little synergy with the rest of the business. Yes there is some synergy with Azure but it mostly taking up server racks which would be put to use with hardware which does synergise with machine learning and cloud computing so there's a definite opportunity cost there.
With gamepass canaballising third party sales and gold undercutting the cost of gamepass without providing meaningful growth I can see them cutting their loss leader hardware if they're still losing market share against ps5 and switch 2 by the end of the gen.
Ultimately it comes down to the figures on how much the hardware is costing them versus what they're getting from third party sales cut and xbox gold and given we don't get the numbers it's a guessing game and my guess would to be not to count MS out just yet,

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, that be just before the release of the next generation of consoles.