We now have concrete details as to the contract MS has with Sega and how they weaseled their way into Yakuza/Persona ports

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Microsoft signed a 'parity' clause with RGG studio, which states that if RGG studio (or likely Sega entirely?) release a game for PlayStation, they must also release it for Xbox. I'm unsure if this extends beyond Yakuza games, (The documents were about RGG studio/ Yakuza Like a Dragon specifically) but it makes sense as to why Xbox is getting Persona ports and Unicorn Overlord from Vanillaware, but is skipped on Switch exclusives likes Etrian Odyssey collection and SMTV.

Nintendo's Sega exclusives weren't targetted or included in the clause, just PlayStation's.

With this news, Xbox will most likely be getting Persona 6 day one. It also goes to show MS's mentality: Undermine and destroy PlayStation's 3rd party relationships, by FORCING developers to support Xbox too, if they support PlayStation

This is a pretty damned devious deal and must have cost Xbox hundreds of millions of dollars. MS also sweetens the deal by paying a lump sum for gamepass inclusion, which negates the possible (and let's be honest -- likely) sales failures of these games on the Xbox platform.

Well, there it is.

F6l-RKQeb0-AAfiv-L.jpg

TL,DR: Microsoft has signed a Parity clause with Sega moving forward from ~2020 that states if Sega develops a game for PlayStation, they must also develop it and release it for Xbox.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I guess that's why they push for Rent Pass, since that 5 copies on Shitbox definitely not worth the effort.

To be fair, I was about to get Persona 3R after the leaks, but after hearing the price of 9000 yen and Rent Pass, yea it is a no.

Same for Gaiden, too many game this year.

Probably getting after 2500 yen firesale.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I guess that's why they push for Rent Pass, since that 5 copies on Shitbox definitely not worth the effort.
it is exactly the situation peter moore outlined in the 360 days, they pay 100's of millions upfront to prevent PS exclusivity.

There is no natural home or audience for these games on Xbox, so this is what they have to do.

It sucks seeing two of my favourite franchises devalued into gamepass fodder like this, it makes me so angry lol

oh well

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Also, I just wished Sony fought harder to keep these games off of Xbox. They were two very important up and coming franchises for PlayStation and their entire 20+ year history was there.

How they let MS walk away with this parity clause, I have no idea...

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
MS also sweetens the deal by paying a lump sum for gamepass inclusion, which negates the possible (and let's be honest -- likely) sales failures of these games on the Xbox platform.
The lump sum might negate the sale failure on Xbox but it doesn't help with the lost sales on Playstation and Steam. MANY people won't buy the game even if they don't have game pass or Xbox.

It devalues the IPs into cheap subscription fodder. Sega will regret making so many deals with Xbox, even for marketing. That company is so dumb, self-sabotage all the time.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Microsoft signed a 'parity' clause with RGG studio, which states that if RGG studio (or likely Sega entirely?) release a game for PlayStation, they must also release it for Xbox. I'm unsure if this extends beyond Yakuza games, (The documents were about RGG studio/ Yakuza Like a Dragon specifically) but it makes sense as to why Xbox is getting Persona ports and Unicorn Overlord from Vanillaware, but is skipped on Switch exclusives likes Etrian Odyssey collection and SMTV.

Nintendo's Sega exclusives weren't targetted or included in the clause, just PlayStation's.

With this news, Xbox will most likely be getting Persona 6 day one. It also goes to show MS's mentality: Undermine and destroy PlayStation's 3rd party relationships, by FORCING developers to support Xbox too, if they support PlayStation

This is a pretty damned devious deal and must have cost Xbox hundreds of millions of dollars. MS also sweetens the deal by paying a lump sum for gamepass inclusion, which negates the possible (and let's be honest -- likely) sales failures of these games on the Xbox platform.

Well, there it is.

F6l-RKQeb0-AAfiv-L.jpg

TL,DR: Microsoft has signed a Parity clause with Sega moving forward from ~2020 that states if Sega develops a game for PlayStation, they must also develop it and release it for Xbox.
What game is the screenshot referring to? Something that didn't release in Japan?

Either way, pathetic from Microsoft. They have to pay to have no one buy a 3rd party game. Doesn't hurt the sales on PS5, but it does weaken the IP by allowing it on GP.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
What game is the screenshot referring to? Something that didn't release in Japan?

Either way, pathetic from Microsoft. They have to pay to have no one buy a 3rd party game. Doesn't hurt the sales on PS5, but it does weaken the IP by allowing it on GP.
Yakuza: Like a Dragon for Bone/Series X does not exist in japan, because PlayStation has Yakuza exclusivity still, in Japan only as of now.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Yakuza: Like a Dragon for Bone/Series X does not exist in japan, because PlayStation has Yakuza exclusivity still, in Japan only as of now.
I think that's like one game.

I just check the Shitbox jp store, P5 definitely there?

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I think that's like one game.

I just check the Shitbox jp store, P5 definitely there?
Pretty sure it's just Yakuza that is still a PS exclusive in Japan.

Persona is on Switch physically and digitally as well, and on xbox digitally only.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

Well, there it is.

F6l-RKQeb0-AAfiv-L.jpg

I don't buy the stuff about "They didn't have a PS5 version ready" AT ALL. They are deliberately giving PlayStation players the inferior version of games because how long does it actually take to get games like Persona 3 and 4 running at 120fps? I'm positive that it was part of their contract with Xbox. Hopefully Infinite Wealth doesn't have this issue, but Xbox has marketing rights to it so it's possible.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

Well, there it is.

F6l-RKQeb0-AAfiv-L.jpg

🤷🏽‍♂️ Microsoft should pay to keep all of sega stuff exclusive that way Sega will completely die and the Japanese games industry can learn to stay the Fck away from Microsoft. I’m willing to sacrifice sega just to prove that point

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Pretty sure it's just Yakuza that is still a PS exclusive in Japan.

Persona is on Switch physically and digitally as well, and on xbox digitally only.
I mean like bloody hell, 5 people who have the shitbox would be devestated because they can't the next LaD games, or they could get a PS4 for the price cheaper than a salmon.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I mean like bloody hell, 5 people who have the shitbox would be devestated because they can't the next LaD games.
I'm hopeful the deal expires and this happens.

Deals are usually 3-5 years. We're approaching year 4.

Let's hope there's a future where this deal can be renegged and Yakuza and Persona stop coming to Xbox.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I'm hopeful the deal expires and this happens.

Deals are usually 3-5 years. We're approaching year 4.

Let's hope there's a future where this deal can be renegged and Yakuza and Persona stop coming to Xbox.
Depends on how they earned.

I think P5 and LaD/Yakuza got benefits from Sony's Western marketing.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS
OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Depends on how they earned.

I think P5 and LaD/Yakuza got benefits from Sony's Western marketing.
well, as of right now, it's literally impossible for Sony to get a Sega exclsuive due to this parity clause.

until it runs out or is abolished, every game sega makes for PS5 has to come out on xbox as well.

The only hope is that Nintendo starts to sign deals with sega that exclude both PS and Xbox. That's the only way we'll get sega games off of Xbox.