What are some tech companies that (in your opinion) could succesfully enter the video game console market?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
We all know that getting into the video game industry is not easy and many companies have failed. If a company is looking to get involved in videogames or hop into an industry established for decades without building a fanbase , getting developers on board, and having a lengthy rollout campaign they are setting themselves up for failure and they’l be one more failed Game Console. Microsoft for good or bad was the last conpany to do it and even they have relatively failed by many metrics.

With all that being said what company do you think can or would be a succesful fit in the traditional gaming hardware industry?

1713880159162.png

1713880239105.png (Luna aside)
1713880327801.png

Possible others?

I don't think Samsung is interested at all but i think they wouod bring alot of forward thinking, innovation and more if they did.

Attachments

• 1713880177962.png
    1713880177962.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 0

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I feel like Disney could be a force, but they've dipped in and out of the gaming biz through subsidiaries like Virgin Interactive, or owned studios and shut then down and license-out IP instead, so many times its rediculous and current Disney would probably be too gunshy. It's like shit or get off the pot for good, Mickey.

Edit: I know you said tech companies. I think Disney/Pixar animation tech could work well for games' usage. In fact I 'know' this, looking at the superior version on MegaDrive of Aladdin.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I feel like Disney could be a force, but they've dipped in and out of the gaming biz through subsidiaries like Virgin Interactive, or owned studios and shut then down and license-out IP instead, so many times its rediculous and current Disney would probably be too gunshy. It's like shit or get off the pot for good, Mickey.

Edit: I know you said tech companies. I think Disney/Pixar animation tech could work well for games' usage. In fact I 'know' this, looking at the superior version on MegaDrive of Aladdin.
Didnt even think of Disney, thnks.

Reactions: ksdixon

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Valve. The only angle left in console-like PC with free online and Steam.

Other companies like Epic or MS could try it but there is no indication they would be able to finally learn from Steam and be ready with their solution in time.

I think Amazon, Google, Apple, etc, would all fail miserably unless they were to buy either Nintendo or PlayStation.

Meta has shown with the Quest that they at least understand the VR gaming market better than Sony.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
As a platform holder? None.

Barrier to entry is way too high these days.

You need minimum 4 years and an experienced studio to make a banger game to make people pay attention to your console, and likely several. Then you need the management experience and directorial experience to vet the game pitches, and the foresight to predict the market 4 years from when you begin your project. Also you need to partner with likely AMD, who is the only one who can supply parts at reasonable rates with reasonable specs, and they're already very busy.