Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scientology

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
What are your religious beliefs?
Do you believe in God? Why/why not?

I am a non denominational Christian. I believe the 66 book Holy Bible, (particularly the KJV) is the inerrant Word of God. I grew up in a Christian home since about the age of 5 when my parents found and accepted Jesus. Later in life when I hit my late teens I became curious and sought my own answers and truth. What I found through study was an overwhelming amount of evidence for the Bible that demonstrates that it is the real deal.

What do you believe in?

Reactions: Arc and Snes nes

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I'm a Marxist. I think there is a long running conflict between the mass of workers who produce a social surplus, and a small minority ruling class which appropriates the social surplus for themselves. Through struggle with the ruling class, the workers organize themselves into a fighting force of opposition to corporate and liberal state governance. Then the wealth of society can be allocated democratically based on social need.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I'm a Marxist. I think there is a long running conflict between the mass of workers who produce a social surplus, and a small minority ruling class which appropriates the social surplus for themselves. Through struggle with the ruling class, the workers organize themselves into a fighting force of opposition to corporate and liberal state governance. Then the wealth of society can be allocated democratically based on social need.

So an atheist I presume?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
So an atheist I presume?
Definitely yes, but atheism is not an interesting worldview on its own. Marxism puts religion in its proper place as both a tool of the oppressing class ("suffer in this life, your reward comes in the next"), and a salve for the oppressed class (aka "opiate for the masses, the heart in a heartless world").

Some liberal atheists make the error of taking religious doctrine seriously and ranking scriputures as more or less rational. The so-called 'new atheists' were mostly exceptional islamophobes. Marxism sees the particular expression of any religion as produced by underlying material conditions. That's how the same Christian doctrine produces American megachurches in one context, and Mennonite 'plain people' in another.

• brain
Reactions: teezzy and Snes nes

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Both the thread title and poll question do not allow for Atheism to be an answer since Atheism is neither a religion nor a religious belief.

However, in what I believe is the intent for this thread: I'm an agnostic atheist.

Now, one may ask: Why agnostic atheist? Because I'm a person of science and I cannot be 100% sure a god does or doesn't exist until definitive proof is provided. However, the existence or lack thereof of god does not impact my life, nor does not change how I conduct myself daily - it's completely inconsequential.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Both the thread title and poll question do not allow for Atheism to be an answer since Atheism is neither a religion nor a religious belief.

However, in what I believe is the intent for this thread: I'm an agnostic atheist.

Now, one may ask: Why agnostic atheist? Because I'm a person of science and I cannot be 100% sure a god does or doesn't exist until definitive proof is provided. However, the existence or lack thereof of god does not impact my life, nor does not change how I conduct myself daily - it's completely inconsequential.
I would imagine I am sort of similar to this take in some ways,

As for religion and its inception, I don't like the whole interpretation of basically good versus evil or even the notion of heaven or hell.

I do however believe that Faith is needed as it is extremely important facet in not only comforting but offering people hope in the most stressful of times.

My motto in life is to try to treat everyone with respect and with common courtesy.

There @Falcs, i posted here, HAPPY NOW, slave driver

Last edited:
  • party
Reactions: Falcs

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
Pretty sure im an atheist who wishes he was still Catholic. I have a lot of respect for religious people. I envy their faith

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
What's stopping you from believing in Christ?

Lack of evidence
My belief in evolution
The fact that so many other religions exist which dont recognize Christ, including ones which predate Christianity
Not being able to directly relate to what ive read of the Bible

Lost some family members and fell back into going to mass but quickly fell back out

Idk, it just doesn't make sense to me. Faith takes effort, and i feel like im defying logic if i push towards it. I feel like a fraud when i try and be religious

Tldr - imposter syndrome

• thinking_hard
OP
OP
Falcs

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
Lack of evidence
My belief in evolution
The fact that so many other religions exist which dont recognize Christ, including ones which predate Christianity
Not being able to directly relate to what ive read of the Bible

Lost some family members and fell back into going to mass but quickly fell back out

Idk, it just doesn't make sense to me. Faith takes effort, and i feel like im defying logic if i push towards it. I feel like a fraud when i try and be religious

Tldr - imposter syndrome
If you research enough you can find out:

1. Jesus was a real person in history.
2. There is evidence that he raised from the dead.

Ancient religions are irrelevant if Jesus raising from the dead is true.

Also being religious is very different to believing in Christ. Believing in Jesus takes no effort other than having an open mind.

In my opinion it takes more faith to believe that everything simply came into existence randomly, as opposed to believing that an intelligent designer who exists outside of our reality created everything.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If you research enough you can find out:

1. Jesus was a real person in history.
2. There is evidence that he raised from the dead.

Ancient religions are irrelevant if Jesus raising from the dead is true.

Also being religious is very different to believing in Christ. Believing in Jesus takes no effort other than having an open mind.

In my opinion it takes more faith to believe that everything simply came into existence randomly, as opposed to believing that an intelligent designer who exists outside of our reality created everything.

There's no proof Jesus was raised from the dead. In fact, Christianity is a sect of Judaism, pretty much. Then we have it that a lot of the "lore" for Abrahamic religions comes from "pagan" religions which were polytheistic. I do agree that believing in Jesus (as the son of God, mind you) takes no effort, the same way believing in the tooth fairy takes no effort - as you say it, it's a matter of faith.

When it comes to creation, while I cannot discard a creator or some sort of creator led event, no, it doesn't take more faith to believe that a random event triggered existence. In fact, all evidence points to that, and so far, there's not one iota of proof that supports the theory of god creating the universe.

Faith can be a very important part of some people's lives and I fully respect that, but your opinion above is borderline fundamentalist, since not only it pretty much "shits" on many other religions and belief systems, but also tries to frame the scientific method as a belief system (your last paragraph).

Hell, the difference between you and me is that you believe in one god among thousands of them, and I believe in none.

Edit: I have no problems whatsoever that people believe in whatever god(s) they choose.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
There's no proof Jesus was raised from the dead. In fact, Christianity is a sect of Judaism, pretty much. Then we have it that a lot of the "lore" for Abrahamic religions comes from "pagan" religions which were polytheistic. I do agree that believing in Jesus (as the son of God, mind you) takes no effort, the same way believing in the tooth fairy takes no effort - as you say it, it's a matter of faith.

When it comes to creation, while I cannot discard a creator or some sort of creator led event, no, it doesn't take more faith to believe that a random event triggered existence. In fact, all evidence points to that, and so far, there's not one iota of proof that supports the theory of god creating the universe.

Faith can be a very important part of some people's lives and I fully respect that, but your opinion above is borderline fundamentalist, since not only it pretty much "shits" on many other religions and belief systems, but also tries to frame the scientific method as a belief system (your last paragraph).

Hell, the difference between you and me is that you believe in one god among thousands of them, and I believe in none.

Edit: I have no problems whatsoever that people believe in whatever god(s) they choose.
@Falcs is such a Tom Cruise wannabee.

baroness von sketch GIF by IFC

• they're_right_you_know

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
I feel like religion was a very beneficial way to get humans to stop acting like animals in the past

Every sin i can think of a way of either avoiding acting like a barbarian or something to avoid disease like not mixing the milk and meat of an animal. Eating a cheeseburger is a sin, literally. Mixing certain fabrics is another. It doesnt always make sense in our modern world. Theyre grest guidelines to be followed loosely however

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I feel like religion was a very beneficial way to get humans to stop acting like animals in the past

Every sin i can think of a way of either avoiding acting like a barbarian or something to avoid disease like not mixing the milk and meat of an animal. Eating a cheeseburger is a sin, literally. Mixing certain fabrics is another. It doesnt always make sense in our modern world. Theyre grest guidelines to be followed loosely however

I disagree. If anything, religion, especially the organised kind, is one of the main culprits for many wars, genocides, and terrorism. We had agriculture and husbandry before organised religion. We were hunter gatherers that worked in community to survive before religion.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: teezzy

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023

Agnostic- a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God
Atheist- a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods
You cannot be both. By your last few sentences, you are agnostic.
Atheists refuse any possibility that gods exist, agnostics believe that they cannot prove that god does or does not exist, leading them to be neutral on the matter.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Satoru