What developer will be shut down by Microsoft next?

What next developer will be shut down by Microsoft?

• Rare

Votes: 2 3.4%

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Zenimax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Activision Blizzard

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Ninja Theory

Votes: 35 59.3%
  • Bethsda

• The Coalition

• ID Software

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • The Initiative

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Machine Games

• Total voters

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Yeah damn wtf is initiatives game!

It appeared yesterday on the news:

Microsoft's Perfect Dark reboot reportedly in "a very rough state" and a "big, protracted mess"

And in good Xbox Studios' fashion, it's been mishandled like hell.

Microsoft's Perfect Dark reboot was initially being developed by the company's Santa Monica-based The Initiative studio, but 2021 hinted at troubles for the project when it was revealed Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics had been brought in to assist. An exodus of key staff - including the game's design director, lead level designer, principal level designer, and principal world builder - was reported the following year.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
16 Feb 2023
I voted for the initiative, Ninja theory will hang on till after award season/completion of the PS5 port at which point they'll try to pitch a new game and get closed down. The initiative I suspect will be closed down first, too long working on an IP which doesn't really have any resonance with a lot of money being paid to external development teams. In addition recent rumours suggest perfect dark is in a troubled state if they're looking for cost savings this would be it.
Who knows however none of Xbox's recent moves have really made any sense to me at least.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I voted for the initiative, Ninja theory will hang on till after award season/completion of the PS5 port at which point they'll try to pitch a new game and get closed down. The initiative I suspect will be closed down first, too long working on an IP which doesn't really have any resonance with a lot of money being paid to external development teams. In addition recent rumours suggest perfect dark is in a troubled state if they're looking for cost savings this would be it.
Who knows however none of Xbox's recent moves have really made any sense to me at least.
I think those you mentioned are all fair play and can go at any moment Ninja Theory included.

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Ninja Theory and Obsidian probably, right after their games release lol

Also, WTF at people saying a certain Xbox Game Studios game "didn't sell". Of course it fucking didn't, it's on Game Pass, that's the whole point of Game Pass, you absolute geniuses

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Also, WTF at people saying a certain Xbox Game Studios game "didn't sell". Of course it fucking didn't, it's on Game Pass, that's the whole point of Game Pass, you absolute geniuses
Yeah bcus Micro is shady like tht. Wouldn't surprise me.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
One thing I'll always remember were Xbots hyping Project Mara, something that amounted to pretty much Ninja Theory scanning their office.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Wait, but Phil said, gamepass helps to sell more games???

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
The initiative, ninja theory, double fine, undead labs, and compulsion are all going to get closed before the gen ends.

they gave them all AAA budgets and their games will make pennies on gamepass. PS5 ports could save some of these studios though, but i doubt it. MS is ready for that cod and fallout money to roll in.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The initiative, ninja theory, double fine, undead labs, and compulsion are all going to get closed before the gen ends.

they gave them all AAA budgets and their games will make pennies on gamepass. PS5 ports could save some of these studios though, but i doubt it. MS is ready for that cod and fallout money to roll in.
Machinegames games aren't save too, if IJ won't move big numbers.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Machinegames games aren't save too, if IJ won't move big numbers.
they are going to the cod machine. we can also assume that obsidian is going into the ES/fallout machine,

Whichever companies that don't close, will be absorbed.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
they are going to the cod machine. we can also assume that obsidian is going into the ES/fallout machine,

Whichever companies that don't close, will be absorbed.
Those still will be closed then. Some part of those studios wouldn't be needed. So firing more people.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Lmao an hour ago. Same source;

image.png

We wont have to wait long then : p
Seems you have a pretty accurate source 👀

iconera with another easy prediction.

• haha

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Lmao an hour ago. Same source;

image.png

We wont have to wait long then : p
Stole my thunder but I had the same three on my non-insider list. Ninja Theory lost their lead and have expensive low-selling games, Double Fine games never sell despite the quality (love Schafer), and IT I'm assuming is The Initiative, who have had 6 years to produce zilch.

Wouldn't have thought Obsidian due to Grounded. I thought inXile as the fourth.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Double Fine is a no brainer because they never have really made AAA games. The closest was Brutal Legend that was published by EA. Double Fine makes AA games and prior to being bought by Xbox their games were kickstarted. Obsidian being shut down would be insane and will cause the internet to explode. If I was Obsidian I would be looking to get out before the axe hits.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
They're already poised to kill Ninja Theory. Look how little they're even marketing their game that's like, a week away. Sony has done more to market their PC ports, and those are almost exclusively done through social media posts.