What do you think Gaming will look like in 10 years?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Will the PS6 be the dominate console in the middle of its cycle?
or will it stumble like nintendo's 6th console the Wii U?

Will Xbox Consoles stll be relesaed or will gamepass just be a service?
Will Nintendo still be making hardware hybrid or will they change it up?

Will VR become so much more mainstream or will it always represent a much smaller audiences compared to other gaming sectors?

So what do you think Gaming will look like in 10 years?

24 Jun 2022
VR/AR gaming will be mainstream and a default feature with at least every PS6.

We'll see more ML-powered AI programming models to help accelerate production of content in parts of the development pipeline.

I see Microsoft stepping away as a traditional console platform holder, rebranding Xbox into Windows PC NUC-style gaming devices, opening them up to Steam, EGS, GOG etc. and being a more full-on 3P publisher. They're really just in it for expanding revenue but since they need the audiences of OTHER platforms to do that, why continue to create friction where it's counter-intuitive to your growth goals (and your own advertised corporate message)?

In spite of that, I don't see anyone really "replacing" Microsoft, either. Although I think Apple will try making a big play for some fully integrated VR/AR headset gaming platform with their own silicon, that could be a sort of competitor to Sony & Nintendo.

Either that, or Nintendo makes a "Switch 3" that's basically the Virtual Boy but actually good.

Reactions: Kokoloko and arvfab

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Gayer

Last edited by a moderator:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Still not expecting anyone to care about vr. It’ll be the same as it has been for the last 40 years… with a controller and TV.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
10 years will be the middle of the ps6 generation, so I expect gaming to look largely the same as today - ps6 is likely already in the planning stages so the tech won't be too different than what's possible today. It's possible that controller tech will evolve drastically as I think the next step up from dualsense is vr/ar style haptic gloves. Would be interesting to see the return of the power glove lol.
Ps6 - don't see ps6 changing too much tbh, I think the criticism sony got over back compat at the start of this gen will inform their choices going into ps6.
Xbox series next - too early to tell. If they manage to acquire abk and gamepass takes off I could see them trying to go dedicated streaming.
Nintendo - the most interesting one as 2032 should be the console that comes out after switch 2, I could see Ninty fully embracing AR (VR has too many problems to be mainstream imo)

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
10 years... I think it depends on the tech advancements of the time. The timing might not line up exactly, but PS4 - PS5 2013-2023 seems like so much less of a jump than PS2-PS3 2003-2013.

I'd expect a digital only console to become status quo, eventually consume consoles with disc trays, and USB disc drive attachments will prove cumbersome after a gen.

I'd hope that other things like load time and other improvements could start being applied to game design/structure, like not needing loading elevators and wall squeezes. And cutscenes using real models so they reflect model skin changes, as standard.

I'd hope the digital eventual takeover reignites the idea of backwards compatibility more fiercely, but honestly that looks like it might be left to the realm of emulation and hacking now. I'm kinda getting sick of waiting for big corps to get the picture. I never mind paying for quality of life services which are worth it. It's accessibility or choice, not money, when you're old enough to afford.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
James Franco GIF

PlayStation and Nintendo still doing their thing

GPU's under power consumption regulation, leading to PC gaming suffering and lower numbers on that platform.
Along with higher budgets for games only being able to be funded by 1st party and a handful of publishers.... leaving PC dependent on ports (if they even get them)

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Not much different from now. I hope Sony keeps pushing the vr medium on consoles maybe Ps6 will have VR included from the start. Nintendo will still be stuck in their own world doing their thing. Microsoft might just go strictly software on consoles.

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
Sony will go third party because it will not be able to compete with Nintendo or Xbox/PC. Sega will join Microsoft in sticking the final knife in Sony for revenge for Dreamcast & Saturn. "Heh nothing personnel kid"

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge