What if Sony purchases Valve?

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Don't think they're gonna spend that lol.

That's already going on iirc.
looking at sony's acquisitions, they don't seem to want to buy IPs, they want to buy resources, just like EVO and Crunchryoll, i think Valve would be an acquisition they would pay premium for, they would literally add 12B+ of revenue every year if they got Valve

• brain
Reactions: Snes nes
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
and btw bring back Vaio and this time make the best Gaming Laptops in the market
393e79bc886fd4e75fa4bb69f58740f127550.jpg

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its entirely possible that Valve would be of a similar value to Sony if it were listed on the open market (or, at least, would be worth over half of it, bearing in mind that Sony is worth roughly 120 billion dollars on the market today.) Valve has, as far as I can tell, very few actual employees and yet controls pretty much the only viable way to sell PC games in the modern day. Its other products are so small in the face of steam itself that nobody mentions them but even then, if taken on their own, CS:GO and Source, Steamdeck and TF2 would all be valuable products on their own. Or to put it another way, Hogwarts Legacy, a non-Valve game, sold 24 million copies. Assuming that 5 million units were sold on Steam at a reduced 20 percent cut (and bear in mind, the standard is 30), thats the equivalent of one of Valve's own games selling one million units, without Valve having had to pay anything for development or marketing. Its "free money" and while HL is the biggest game of the year its not like it makes up the lion's share of game sales, and the vast majority game purchases on PC go through Steam with Valve taking a similar, or bigger, cut.

We really don't know what Valve is valued at but I bet its more than most people think.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
their launcher will never be as big as steam, people already built their digital libraries on Steam they resist going to any other launcher, that's why it's the perfect opportunity
It don't need to be big.
It needs to have PlayStation exclusives.
The only option to buy them.

I believe Sony make an experimental research releasing titles on Steam and saw the numbers are so low for 90% of the titles that is better to have it own store and who wants to play these games buy there.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
SteamOS is like a compatability layer for linx gaming, is that a fair enough layman's interpretation?

If Steam were to sell itself back to MS, in typical Elop/Nokia fashion, wouldn't that set linx gaming back even further because any forward strives would be SteamOS focused?

Reactions: Snes nes

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
looking at sony's acquisitions, they don't seem to want to buy IPs, they want to buy resources, just like EVO and Crunchryoll, i think Valve would be an acquisition they would pay premium for, they would literally add 12B+ of revenue every year if they got Valve

Hmm. Idk evo is a waste of money to begin with. That's not very valuable and crunchyroll is a decent enough service. Valve is a entire storefront for pc gaming but I'd rather companies remain independent. Also if I'm remembering right this means they will also inherit valves monopoly.

24 Jun 2022
Problem was th that is regulator scrutiny would be insane. Ps would have the biggest digital market place for games on console and pc. Two essential wall gardens regulators are becoming less comfortable with. Also Gabe has an anti ps bias. At the start of the gen he said Xbox series x was better than ps5 and he’s downplayed ps at other times. As long as he is alive and healthy doubt he would sell unless it’s for an huge ass premium. Sony locking down console and pc gaming could be argue as monopolizing the premium games market.

I love how new random definitions just come out of nowhere into existence mainly for the purpose of further compartmentalization for regulatory purposes. Seriously, when was "premium games" used to describe game sales in prior generations?

It's the same as the "high-end console market" term; loaded term that was only spun up by regulators to exclude Nintendo in market share comparisons between PlayStation and Xbox. Now I see tons of people on all sides using the term like it's legit; it was literally invented a year ago to describe a market segment that already had a term for it previously (home consoles) which came organically, not out of a regulatory reviewal processs.

But back on track to the thread topic..OP no I don't think Sony makes a move to buy Valve and I don't think they are interested in doing that anytime soon if ever. The day Sony prioritizes a PC launcher/storefront is the day they have to start preparing to substantial drop-off of home console sales, as they'd inevitably need to prioritize Day 1 availability of their 1P games on said launcher.

Giving more reason for hardcore and core enthusiasts, who are almost always early adopters, to go PC for future hardware and not buy PlayStation consoles. Meaning that's a decent chunk of hardware sales revenue gone overnight. Sony would have to find a way to replace that through the launcher/storefront, with a mix of ad-supported/sponsored tiers and customer-pay sub tiers with various levels of content and perks tied to them, respective of the tier.

Honestly it's not a reality Sony have to consider until at least 10 years out from now; even then I think they'd be better off "microcomputer-izing" the PlayStation systems before finally shifting a key component of the ecosystem stack to an open platform they can't have any standardization of control over.

Reactions: Umar
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Sony got away with purchasing Crunchyroll and Funimation, they control the majority of the Anime market and regulators did nothing

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
2 points.
Gabe loves MS, so he will sell to them
Sony already has PSN, That is on the level of Steam so ftc won't allow them to be bough.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Please no. Sony has to concentrate on their own, custom hardware and stop supporting additional platforms. We already have very long dev times, imagine having to bring your games to Windows and Linux, and why not, Mac?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Jim Ryan

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I don’t want everyone to buy everyone. I want a bunch of different (likable) companies competing and putting out interesting things all their own. Not like three companies that own everything.

No doubt that it would be an amazing deal, but the amount of consolidation in the hobby right now concerns me.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It would be a great move, but I think isn't realistic: as of now probably it would be too expensive, Gabe Newell doesn't want to sell (but he could do it once he decides to retire) and regulators may block it because Sony already dominates consoles and related console submarkets (console VR, game subs / cloud etc).

Gabe loves MS, so he will sell to them
No. He did work at MS and left. MS already tried to buy Valve and Gabe said no to them.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don’t want everyone to buy everyone. I want a bunch of different (likable) companies competing and putting out interesting things all their own. Not like three companies that own everything.

No doubt that it would be an amazing deal, but the amount of consolidation in the hobby right now concerns me.
The moment Gabe kicks it or loses interest Steam will be put on sale and one of these big tech companies will pay a fortune for it.

Please no. Sony has to concentrate on their own, custom hardware and stop supporting additional platforms. We already have very long dev times, imagine having to bring your games to Windows and Linux, and why not, Mac?
Very few devs do native ports for Linux at this point, they just rely on Proton.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Don't we already have a thread on acquisitions? Also Valve would never sell to Sony

Arc

5 Sep 2023
The moment Gabe kicks it or loses interest Steam will be put on sale and one of these big tech companies will pay a fortune for it.

Very few devs do native ports for Linux at this point, they just rely on Proton.
Unfortunately, unless preparations are made, this seems likely.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom