What is your first experience to games online services

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
My first experience with games online services, unfortunately, is the PSN. Holy shit that was bad, really unforgettable experience.

So I got a copy of Resistence along with my PS3 at launch, after I played through the singleplayer I wanted to play the multiplayer.

Welp, turn out you need an PSN account. So just enter your username and password to sign up, after that it asked for either your phone or email to confirm. Easy right?

But it asked for the phone-line, while here back then we used email address for messages, and phone lines for voiceover, both attached to each other.

Except when you choose to enter email they say that email provider is not valid because fuck know why.

How did Sony not acknowledge this in their home region was beyond me. And they didn't fix that shit until 2-3 months later. In the end, I still never got to play Resistence multiplayer...

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I remember playing Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS around 2006 - 2007 but can't say for sure if that was the first?
I got a wii in early 2007 (maybe it was very very late 2006 , like December 30th - 31st, I can't remember) and bought some N64 games on the Wii VC but in terms of online play I think Super Smash bros brawl was the first game I played online on the Wii.

Also I played Resistance online for a little bit but resistance 2 was an amazing online experience

Reactions: Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Gemstone 3 on AOL. I was a kid so I wasn't able to afford the monthly sub but it was a free game when you paid for AOL dialup. But my parents didn't want to pay for AOL so I would hoard the discs they sent people in the mail to get a free month trial of AOL.

Reactions: laynelane

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
Dark Age of Camelot, early 2000s. My older sister and her then-boyfriend played, and let me make my own character. Being a kid, I couldn't pay a subscription myself, so opportunities to play were limited, but that was my first ever experience with online gaming. Otherwise, I was a console kid and my first actual SERVICE experience was PSN, then Xbox Live, then I made a Steam account later.

I actually kinda liked PSN in the early days with that bright blue menu/UI. Just felt simpler to navigate and stuff. Granted, I only ever cared about demos and never played online.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
It was Resistance Fall of Man though to be honest I didn't play it much as I was still stuck on playing PS2 games even on PS3 way into 2007...

But it was Warhawk that truly converted me

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast

Me and my friends bought it at launch, played till the 3rd level. Then got on a 3way call to talk about how amazing it was playing online. We were hooked

I do believe I played Unreal Tournament and Ultima online but it was quick bursts at a family friends house

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
PSN. Tried a bit of GTA online, for 10 minutes, to test the connection then jumped into Metal Gear Online 2, which I played constantly for years.

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
PSN with a demo for Resident Evil 5. I remember being nervous when people would talk over their mic (my inglish b bad). One guy showed me how to throw a grenade at a sign where it bounced of and destroyed the chain on a door at the ground floor on the building we were in, it also prevented a wawe of enemies from spawning.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Probably some flash based free multiplayer game or Runescape on the pc in the early 2000s.

On psn it was fight night round 4.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Demon's Souls on PS3. I really liked reading the messages left by players and seeing what others were up to in the areas I was exploring. Wasn't a huge fan of being invaded, though lol.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
We used to play counterstrike in pc cafes for $3 an hour but…

Halo 2. Played the pirated Brazilian copy pre-release… hated it. Halo 2 campaign sucks don’t give a shit it’s true…

Loved PvP. Still playing bungie PvP because of it. XBL was game changing at the time. Fell in love with online games thereafter and ditched playing single player games as heavily as I used to.

2nd gen of online gaming for me was SF4’s release and the rebirth of fighters. Thousands of hours online.

3rd gen was destiny’s vault of glass… that was as revolutionary as Super Mario 64 for me at the time.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Grew up playing on PC so multiplayer was always a thing, free and with dedicated servers. First one I tried was probably Quake but the first one I remember playing regularly was Half-Life and later CS.

CS was an absolute phenomenon in Brazil, pretty much unparalleled to anything else. For a few years, anywhere you went there would be a LAN-house close by where you could play it.

Last edited:
  • Shake
Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I think it was Quake 3 Arena...

It was definitely PC where I played online first. Wasn't until 360 that I started online games on console... GRAW was big for me then.

Reactions: Sloane_Ranger

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
PC used to be my thing waaaay back - Quake and Half-Life baby!

For console it would have to be PS2 with the network adaptor that let me play Burnout and SOCOM! Man I loved those games!

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
CS was an absolute phenomenon in Brazil, pretty much unparalleled to anything else. For a few years, anywhere you went there would be a LAN-house close by where you could play it.
I was thinking more along the lines of systems that I owned, but I also spent a ton of times in internet clubs playing CS. Good times.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Master dungeon on the Atari ST with a friend around 1988

He used to handle the navigation and me the fighting and inventory.

After that master system then mega drive then branched on to quake, duke, red alert, blood etc

Best gaming years of my life.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Master dungeon on the Atari ST with a friend around 1988

He used to handle the navigation and me the fighting and inventory.

After that master system then mega drive then branched on to quake, duke, red alert, blood etc

Best gaming years of my life.
Lies, your first game was leisure suite Larry

• haha
Reactions: Sircaw