What's the one series you used to love that you have now completely lost interest in?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Got hit with a bit of nostalgia here, so wanted to make this thread.

As one does while browsing youtube, I randomly ran into some Assassin's Creed trailers. It just reminded me of how much I adored the series. Watched every trailer and hunted for every little scrap of new info on a new entry.

And then when AC4 was revealed, I lost interest. They started moving away from that Assassin lore a bit more and it felt like a pirate simulator more than anything.

It wasn't until Origins was announced that I decided to give the series one last time. So leading up to release or Origin, I played 4 and Unity. Decided to skip Syndicate as it seemed like something I wouldn't like based on the setting.

And while I enjoyed both 4 and Unity, they reminded me of what AC lost. The stories just weren't there.

And then Origins just cemented my opinion on the series being dead to me. I liked Bayek as a character but everyone else felt disappointing. Not to mention how they just threw away the hidden blade lore. It's just one tiny detail in one scene but it felt like the confirmation of them abandoning the lore and just going for generic stories. (The scene in question was Bayek using the blade for the first time and losing a finger for it because he used it through a closed fist. The actual lore states that the blade can't be used by any means without sacrifising a finger. It's since become a sign of the assassins and a commitment to the cause. it wasn't until Altair redesigned the blade centuries later, that it could be used without hurting the user.)

Ever since then I completely lost interest, to the point I wouldn't even watch any trailers. I recently tried Valhalla for a few hours and man, is it bad as an AC game.

I'm playing Rogue through Plus now since I heard it had a great story and I wanted some of that old AC kick. But it's such a shame what the series became and how my once highly anticipated series just dropped from my radar completely.

Feel free to share.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nym

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Ghost Recon: I used to absolutely love GRAW and GRAW2, I actually bought a 360 after playing the first game at a friends house. The games after Graw 2 were just terrible, totally lost the feel and fun.

Splinter Cell: After Double Agent, I really didn't like the more action oriented direction of the newer games.

Arkham series: The first two games were so good and three was almost great but just made a lot of decisions that wore me down...the tank bits were too long and drawn out for instance.

COD: Ever since MW2 2009 I really feel the franchise has been getting worse and worse, with one or two games that were decent but generally most of them were terrible.

Reactions: catchew and Zzero

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Zelda (all Nintendo stuff)
Phantasy Star
Sonic... well pretty much all Sega stuff as well I guess.

Not so sure about the ones that are still alive, I tend not to get into bad series to begin with I guess 🤷.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Arkham for me. They just never topped the first release for pure gameplay quality.

Couple others....

Civ. Uncharted. Sonic, (going back to the early 90s for that one, 3D Sonic has never held my interest.) Gears (woof, those modern GoW games are dogs and that series used to lead the way in next gen gameplay 17 or so years ago.) Quake. Smash.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Johnic

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Arkham for me. They just never topped the first release for pure gameplay quality.

Couple others....

Civ. Uncharted. Sonic, (going back to the early 90s for that one, 3D Sonic has never held my interest.) Gears (woof, those modern GoW games are dogs and that series used to lead the way in next gen gameplay 17 or so years ago.) Quake. Smash.
While I do think Gears took a dive for the worse, my main issue is the story. They seemingly ran out of ideas and just rehashed the same story for 4 and 5. The characters just aren't as interesting.

And the atmosphere from the original trilogy is just not there anymore.

• they're_right_you_know

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Definitely MK, used to love that shit when I was a kid. Now I prefer fighting games with competent mechanics, and that aren't afraid of boobs.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Star Wars

Ass Creed

Similar too....

I tried to give the new one a go.... I finished it but it's more of an Uncharted clone than anything. The lightsaber combat isnt that good and you don't feel powerful.

The powers are underwhelming.

Ass Creed after the Ezio trilogy, I just lost interest.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'd be open to anything good, but Mass Effect and Star Wars have been mentioned here and I would have to agree on those.

Could still win me over with something great though.

• brain

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
You know what's weird.... I think we all agree more on what we don't like as opposed to what we do like!

Like, it seems more universal.

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
Assassins Creed.
Not a huge fan of the new direction for God Of War.
I kinda fell off PSO2 after waiting for updates for so long, haven't logged in like 3 to 4 months now.
Yu Gi Oh, though I did come back for some time, Pendulum was trash, but link was more bearable.
Fate series in general, though I'll probably pick up Samurai Remnant like some sort of beaten housewife coming back to my alcoholic husband.
Dynasty Warriors.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You know what's weird.... I think we all agree more on what we don't like as opposed to what we do like!

Like, it seems more universal.
This is how I connected with my gf! 10 years ago!

We wend for coffee on our first date and made fun of the other people there, that must have made us feel superior or something because that worked out well.

However, she still likes Mario for some reason.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This is how I connected with my gf! 10 years ago!

We wend for coffee on our first date and made fun of the other people there, that must have made us feel superior or something because that worked out well.

However, she still likes Mario for some reason.

You gotta watch out for those plumbers man!

What were the games you both didn't like? Give us one at least...

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You gotta watch out for those plumbers man!

What were the games you both didn't like? Give us one at least...
She's not a gamer, so this may be why she still likes Mario 🤷.

She did comment on TLoU when she first saw it on PS3, but never showed any interest in watching for too long or even taking the controller.

• brain