When did Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo stop taking public jabs at each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
So I have been on a early 2000s nostalgia trip lately rewatching some old E3's and I saw at Nintendo's 2002 E3 at the beginning Nintendo took a jab at Sony for Getting Gamecube's UK Shipment numbers wrong at their 2002 press conference.
At E3 2003 Sony claimed the console wars were over saying the war for second place was between gamecube and xbox since PS2 was easily in #1
At E3 2005 Reggie talked about EU's PSP numbers saying "Thats Sony's Problem, Not Mine"
At E3 2008 Reggie brought up a graph showing the DS outselling other systems like PS3/360/and PSP!

You remember the days back when Sega (A company running out of Money during the Dreamcast Era) spend money on ads mocking Sony for Not Having Enough PS2 stock to sell?
Like are they mocking Sony for Not wrecking them hard enough lol? What happen to this culture of executives at these companies mocking their competition on a global stage lol?
Or that messed up Final Fantasy VII ad that made fun of the N64 for having Cartridge's? (Even tho that ad didn't directly say N64 but I believe it was the only console stiill being sold in 97 that used cartridge's

Ever Since 2010 or so It seems these guys stop mentioning each other directly at press conferences and save that shit for twitter. Look at Sony's No DRM or $399 announcement at E3 2013, no mention of Xbox One, just using terms like "Unlike out competitors" and stuff like that instead of just directly calling out the xbox one! Even the "how to share used games on PS4" video posted after E3 didn't directly mention Xbox like I feel they would of if this was done in the early 2000s!
Now it's just tweets here and there (Maybe Podcast Quotes) from executives taking jabs at the competition with occasional interviews from sites like IGN like how back in 2013 Reggie shat on Xbox One's and PS4's launch Line up when literally both the 3DS and Wii U had shit line ups in 2011 and 2012! https://www.escapistmagazine.com/reggie-fils-aime-says-meh-to-ps4-xbox-one-line-ups/

Anyway can anyone pinpoint the shift of these companies not talking about each other directly at big events or why they stopped doing it? PR reasons?

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I think alot of it has to do with who took over each company. Phil does his whole nice guy passive agressive thing, Jimbo just doesn't give a shit and Bowser just does whatever Japan tells him to do.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think alot of it has to do with who took over each company. Phil does his whole nice guy passive agressive thing, Jimbo just doesn't give a shit and Bowser just does whatever Japan tells him to do.

Yeah, microsoft has still thrown shots at sony since this generation began also. The whole turning your console sideways thing, and smart delivery….phil also threw shots at sony for their pc release strategy

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
MS never stopped. They always reference other products when promoting their own "most powerful console ever", "best deal in gaming", "we are beating PlayStation in NA", "look, look, we won the prestigious PoTY!". Not to mention all the passive aggressive remarks.

Sony and Nintendo don't direct compete against each other so there isn't much incentive there, neither would look good doing it, so they just ignore each other.

Dunking on Xbox would probably make Sony look bad or at least that's what they seem to believe because they go out of their way to not make Xbox look as bad as they could.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru
Status
Not open for further replies.