Which did you all enjoy more? The State of Play or Direct?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Personally for me it was the State of Play due to that insane GOW trailer, and stuff like Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin.

High lights of the Direct for me:
1. Crisis Core release date
2. Fatal Frame 4 happening and is multi platform (Multiplat announcement was after the direct.)
3. Goldeneye007 announcement
4. Pikmin 4 first look after 7 years of waiting.

Highlights of the State of Play:
1. God of War
2. Rise of the Ronin
3. Stellar Blade
4. Tekken 8

Unfortunately insiders hurt the direct for me with having me think Metroid Prime Remake, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess ports happening and being a no show hurt it for me Also that Pikmin 4 teaser was so short after 7 years of waiting! While the leaks about a possible Resident Evil 4 Remake demo no showing the State of Play it wasn't enough to hurt my enjoyment of the show!

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Both very good.

The Nintendo Direct was longer and therefore had more games I'm interested in (although many of them I will probably get on PlayStation where available), but also many more I don't care about at all. Far too many life-sim RPGs.

The SoP final was epic, Stellar Blade and Ronin looked great.

If the Pikmin 4 trailer had been longer, I might have given the edge to the Direct, but as it is, the SoP has a slight advantage.

Reactions: Umar

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Both companies did very well.

PlayStation had more that suited my taste and the GOWR trailer was phenomenal.
Stellar, Ronin, Tekken and Ishin were all exciting for me too. 8 / 8.5 out of 10

Nintendo had some great games but they didn't really have that hype or excitement. 6.5 / 7 out of 10

IMO

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
State of Play.

I went with absolutely 0 expectations; I presumed it was gonna suck because they'll be keeping the good stuff for a first-party showcase. But it was amazing.

Even without GOW, the Rise of Ronan and Stellar Blade looked fantastic. Tekken 8 also looked great. It was already a good State of Play, but then that epic God of War trailer just pushed it to another level altogether.

Best trailer I've ever seen!

Reactions: arvfab
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
State of Play.

I went with absolutely 0 expectations; I presumed it was gonna suck because they'll be keeping the good stuff for a first-party showcase. But it was amazing.

Even without GOW, the Rise of Ronan and Stellar Blade looked fantastic. Tekken 8 also looked great. It was already a good State of Play, but then that epic God of War trailer just pushed it to another level altogether.

Best trailer I've ever seen!
the troll of showing off the controller like it was going to be the last thing was perfect also!
PlayStation still be remembering Chad Warden with stuff like that and how the PS5 future of gaming reveal in 2020 opened with GTA V

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
the troll of showing off the controller like it was going to be the last thing was perfect also!
PlayStation still be remembering Chad Warden with stuff like that and how the PS5 future of gaming reveal in 2020 opened with GTA V
Haha, yes, PlayStation has been trolling for a while now.

- Opening with GTA V
- Showing the chessboard ad full of hidden easter eggs
- Starting the Returnal showcase in the first-party person mode in the corridor, hinting at a Silent Hill reveal.
- Showing Spider-Man 2, hinting at a possible InFamous game.
- Then immediately after Spider-Man 2, showing Wolverine by Insomniac that no one would expect because they just saw an Insomniac game.

And now this GOW Ragnarok controller thingy lol.

• brain
Reactions: Hobbygaming

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
- Then immediately after Spider-Man 2, showing Wolverine by Insomniac that no one would expect because they just saw an Insomniac game.
Other way around, but yeah they are a tease :whistle:

tease GIF

• haha
Reactions: AniWeeb

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’ll ignore both Zelda and GoW trailers at first…

Everything else at Nintendo’s show was cringe jrpg content and indie stuff… Sony’s show had less of that or better quality.

Sony’s showcase was definitely more appealing.

I’m very well aware Zelda is all Nintendo fanboys need to see but even then; they didn’t show anything too interesting — so the god of war hype was better.

Reactions: Heisenberg007

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ill go with the Direct.
Nintendo showed me at least 2 new games from there 1st party we hadn’t seen before. Fire Emblem and Pikmin 4.

The state of play was better than previous.
Showed 1 new exclusive ( Ronin ), the rest was VR ( not interested ) repeated ( Stellar blade, Hogwards, God of War ) or multiplatform games

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think both had good stuff but I personally prefer action games over (2nd tier, and many multiplatform) JRPGs, strategy, a walking game and rythm games.

Tekken 8, Yakuza Ishin remade and released in the west, GoWR gameplay, Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin are for me.

I assume I'll also love the Zelda game but I still didn't see enough gameplay to be 100% sure.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Both had things I want to play.
But as a PS fan I wanted to see more from State of Play while for Nintendo whatever they did was fine for me.