Which jobs are AI proof?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I hate to admit it, but tradies are looking real good over the next decade at least.

Boomers retiring + No automation = big paychecks. It's over for tech.

Anything else?

Reactions: GameCritic

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Executive positions, the ones who screw up the most.

I honestly think the best role for AI is in adding detail and perfecting work that has been created by a human.

Like... An artist does a concept of a character and just does it to a basic level and then the AI might be able to add more texture levels, detail to hair and face... Like beauty spots, freckles etc etc.

It COULD help save a lot of time and expense but I don't want to see people lose jobs or opportunities due to AI and I guess what I'm saying could definitely result in some job cuts or less hiring.

It's a bit of a moral dilemma... Especially with costs increasing so much.

Reactions: Sircaw and Box

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well, basically being a capital owner is the only irreplaceable "job". If you're not born rich, it's going to become exceedingly hard to find security.

For trades, nursing and patient care. Masseuses. Social services. Cosmetics. Government jobs. But I have doubts as to how well those trades will fare when no one has money to pay for the services.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Executive positions, the ones who screw up the most.
Yep.

I honestly think the best role for AI is in adding detail and perfecting work that has been created by a human.

Like... An artist does a concept of a character and just does it to a basic level and then the AI might be able to add more texture levels, detail to hair and face... Like beauty spots, freckles etc etc.
Agreed
It COULD help save a lot of time and expense but I don't want to see people lose jobs or opportunities due to AI and I guess what I'm saying could definitely result in some job cuts or less hiring.
The thing is, any time and expense saved won't go to people's pockets, it will go to shareholders and investment funds pockets. People will be fucked in the end, as they always have. We should be working 5 or 10h per week considering where productivity was at the beginning of the 20th century vs today, yet we're working the same "40h" that became standard early last century.
It's a bit of a moral dilemma... Especially with costs increasing so much.
What moral dilemma? AI is replacing people, and more and more will not be able to survive as jobs get replaced. Meawhile, companies will keep on growing and consolidating.

People have been defending unchecked capitalism for decades, and now we're all paying the price. It is what it is, I can only hope for nuclear war or an asteroid to reset this shitty society we live in.

Well, basically being a capital owner is the only irreplaceable "job". If you're not born rich, it's going to become exceedingly hard to find security.
This. If you don't have a good spawn point in life, you're fucked.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yep.

Agreed
The problem we have is that AI is replacing the easiest jobs and least skilled workers first, so there is no chance for the up-and-coming generations to gain experience and skill being employed in the industry. Eventually the expertise will die out.

It's like how the civilian airlines are having problems recruiting pilots with the requisite number of flight hours because the military has transitioned many recruits to piloting drones instead of jets.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The problem we have is that AI is replacing the easiest and least skilled workers first, so there is no chance for the up-and-coming generations to gain experience and skill being employed in the industry.

Don't buy into this "skilled" or "least skilled". Software developer jobs are being replaced faster than Restaurant jobs. A job is a job, and the definition of skilled and unskilled was created by those at the top so that the lower classes fight amongst themselves. I've read this before, and I'll be paraphrasing, but the biggest win capitalism has pulled is to have the guy that makes 50k argue that the guy that makes 20k shouldn't make more because he's unskilled, while the guy that makes multiple millions doing fuck all laughs all the way to the bank.

To add to this, the plan seems more and more clear:
  1. First, industries start consolidating, which reduces the pool of employers
  2. Then, they automate a lot of jobs, lowering salaries while increasing their own revenue and productivity metrics (we are here)
  3. Thirdly, the companies at the forefront of AI will consolidate even further
  4. Finally, companies will start adding rooms / beds to their offices, so that the very few that can have a job have to be forced to stay in their workplace all day. This will be achieved as property markets worldwide are being gobbled by private equity / investment funds, a lot of times the same funds that own substantial percentages of the same companies pushing for all this bullshit.
People better brace themselves for what is coming.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yep.

Agreed

The thing is, any time and expense saved won't go to people's pockets, it will go to shareholders and investment funds pockets. People will be fucked in the end, as they always have. We should be working 5 or 10h per week considering where productivity was at the beginning of the 20th century vs today, yet we're working the same "40h" that became standard early last century.

What moral dilemma? AI is replacing people, and more and more will not be able to survive as jobs get replaced. Meawhile, companies will keep on growing and consolidating.

People have been defending unchecked capitalism for decades, and now we're all paying the price. It is what it is, I can only hope for nuclear war or an asteroid to reset this shitty society we live in.

This. If you don't have a good spawn point in life, you're fucked.

I suppose at the large corporate level it's going to be explored very badly but do you think for smaller size, indie style and up to medium passion project developers, might use it to be more effective with the small head out they would have?

I agree completely with your concerns.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I suppose at the large corporate level it's going to be explored very badly but do you think for smaller size, indie style and up to medium passion project developers, might use it to be more effective with the small head out they would have?

I agree completely with your concerns.

Not everyone is a developer. Passion projects are cute, but a lot of them only get of the ground because people have some disposable income. Once all our world is ruled by subscription services, and only 2 or 3 companies dictate what we can have... Add to that salaries falling as AI rises, and disposable income will be non-existent.

The capitalist dream. I for one can't wait.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Not everyone is a developer. Passion projects are cute, but a lot of them only get of the ground because people have some disposable income. Once all our world is ruled by subscription services, and only 2 or 3 companies dictate what we can have... Add to that salaries falling as AI rises, and disposable income will be non-existent.

The capitalist dream. I for one can't wait.

Like indentured servitude, it's perverse and I can definitely feel things being pushed that way.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Don't buy into this "skilled" or "least skilled". Software developer jobs are being replaced faster than Restaurant jobs. A job is a job, and the definition of skilled and unskilled was created by those at the top so that the lower classes fight amongst themselves. I've read this before, and I'll be paraphrasing, but the biggest win capitalism has pulled is to have the guy that makes 50k argue that the guy that makes 20k shouldn't make more because he's unskilled, while the guy that makes multiple millions doing fuck all laughs all the way to the bank.

To add to this, the plan seems more and more clear:
  1. First, industries start consolidating, which reduces the pool of employers
  2. Then, they automate a lot of jobs, lowering salaries while increasing their own revenue and productivity metrics (we are here)
  3. Thirdly, the companies at the forefront of AI will consolidate even further
  4. Finally, companies will start adding rooms / beds to their offices, so that the very few that can have a job have to be forced to stay in their workplace all day. This will be achieved as property markets worldwide are being gobbled by private equity / investment funds, a lot of times the same funds that own substantial percentages of the same companies pushing for all this bullshit.
People better brace themselves for what is coming.
You definitely do learn on the job, experience is valuable. other than that I agree.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Like indentured servitude, it's perverse and I can definitely feel things being pushed that way.
I feel like we're headed towards a cyberpunk future except no one has augments except a very few hyper wealthy individuals, and the rest will be consigned to either death or scraping by because it will be illegal to even try to subsist as all the property will be owned and defended by a self-producing army of robots. That's if the world doesn't go through complete ecological collapse first.

• they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I feel like we're headed towards a cyberpunk future except no one has augments except a very few hyper wealthy individuals, and the rest will be consigned to either death or scraping by because it will be illegal to even try to subsist as all the property will be owned and defended by a self-producing army of robots. That's if the world doesn't go through complete ecological collapse first.

I really don't know how it will go but these corporations need to be brought to heel, of it's not too late.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I really don't know how it will go but these corporations need to be brought to heel, of it's not too late.
I don't know if it's possible anymore, the kind of public will to do that doesn't seem to exist. Too many people arguing over sideshows and politics feeling self-righteous when the iceberg to our Titanic is right in front of us.
It's kind of sobering to consider the potential extinction of our species when looking at the context of all the other species that have gone extinct on the planet, and all were powerless to stop it.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You definitely do learn on the job, experience is valuable. other than that I agree.
I never said you don't learn on the job. But there's no such thing as a skilled or unskilled job. All jobs are skilled.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I never said you don't learn on the job. But there's no such thing as a skilled or unskilled job. All jobs are skilled.
Landlord is an unskilled job. Capital owner is an unskilled job. Rent seeker is an unskilled job.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Any analogue job is safe, all digital jobs are not.

By analogue I mean those interactions between Machine+People, People+People, and People+Environment, have a varying set of unpredictable outcomes.

Digital jobs are the jobs which only have a yes/no, true/false, black and white set of answers - mainly those tied to laws; Health and Safety, HR, and all entertainment/information roles; marketing, strategy and PR.

Not to give the game away, but AI won't replace jobs, it will consolidate them. Think of how a supermarket once employed 15 check-out staff, now they employ 5 and ask you, the customer, to do the job yourself by using 'self-checkout' services.

That's what the future office will look like; a central hub of AI generated information which will do 80% of the donkey work, while the remaining couple of staff do the 20% hands-on tasks.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

GameCritic

20 Jan 2024
I still can't believe over 250000 jobs were lost last year :eek:

Source: https://everyonegaming.com/the-convergence-of-ai-and-industry-layoffs/

jobs-lowest-risk-automation-ai.png

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw