WHO advises against use of artificial sweeteners

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I've been suspicious of this stuff since I was a little kid accidentally drinking my mom's diet coke or Crystal Light. This year, there have been a series of alarming headlines about the risks associated with artificial sweeteners. A study of erythritol showed significantly higher rates of heart disease and stroke. Now the WHO is advising against all forms of artificial sweetener, and generally avoiding added sweetener:

"NSS are not essential dietary factors and have no nutritional value. People should reduce the sweetness of the diet altogether, starting early in life, to improve their health."

WHO also noted that “potential undesirable effects from long-term use” of NSS, such as an increased risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The results of the review also suggest that there may be other dangerous consequences such as the increased risk of premature death among adults.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Always said it, never drank any of the sprite zero or coke zero stuff.... that is worse than the sugary version by far.

Even though sugar is bad too.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nym
OP
OP
flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yeah, it doesn't just taste bad, it tastes *wrong* like nothing else. It's wild to me that people drink diet sodas and don't find them repulsive.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I have recently completely dropped pop altogether which is a pretty big deal for me, I was a Dr. Pepper addict.

I have been able to cut the pop thanks to this sparkling water brand we have up here that has soda flavours. I am kind of amazed the big pop pushers haven't put out sparkling water versions of their biggest flavours, this grocery store root beer sparkling water is fucking wizardry.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
What a week, first warnings about Artificial intelligence and now they are after the sweeteners.