Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Although slightly different it's odd because this is definitely a competing product. I can't believe Sony thinks thy will sell tons of Q Lites, but who knows.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The main reason I was initially preferring the q is I don't want to use my phone as notifications coming in whilst playing is annoying, and I prefer small phones so battery life is usually not good on phones that I carry.

But considering the q allegedly has 3-4 hours battery life, using an LCD screen and Sony does overprice some other consumer electronics. Maybe it's better to stick with a phone, or even get a cheap xiaomi phone as a dedicated remote play device.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The main reason I was initially preferring the q is I don't want to use my phone as notifications coming in is annoying, and I prefer small phones so battery life is usually not good on phones that I carry.

But considering the q allegedly has 3-4 hours battery life, using an LCD screen and Sony does overprice some other consumer electronics. Maybe it's better to stick with a phone, or even get a cheap xiaomi phone as a dedicated remote play device.
Pricing will also play a big factor. We know "Backbone" is $100 so it'll most likely be a cheaper option. If q lite is over $200 it's doa. Some ppl will pay the extra $100 for a screen and DualSense features embedded in the q lite but past that, I don't think so.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume that there will be several reasons:
  • Proper analogs position
  • Same analogs, dpad, buttons, bumpers and triggers as the DualSense ones
  • Haptic feedback and adaptative triggers support
  • I assume Project Q will have wifi6 to take full advantage of the PS5 wifi6 streaming, your phone/tablet maybe doesn't support it
  • Display may be bigger than your phone/tablet
  • (who knows if the chip that PS4 and PS5 use to decompress streamed video too, or if there is other hardware/OS/driver specific optimizations)
  • Its price may be expensive (almost $300), but cheaper than buying separatedly a wifi6 8" screen tablet + Backbone or DualSense + adaptor to plug them together
But in any case they are different options for different tastes or needs.

If as an example you altready have a 8" or 10" tablet with wifi 6, prefer the other analogs layout, don't care about haptic feedback and the buttons/analog/etc quality of Backbone is enough for you, then maybe Backbone is a better option to you.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
  • I assume Project Q will have wifi6 to take full advantage of the PS5 wifi6 streaming, your phone/tablet maybe doesn't support it
Wouldn't the biggest limiting factor be your network anyway?

I mean wifi 6 is nice assuming you have a router capable and it will probably make a difference if your internet connection isn't limiting you, but if your network latency isn't great and speeds aren't consistent then wifi 6 won't change much.

24 Jun 2022
Some of Sony's hardware decisions of late are reminding me of Sega during the late 16-bit era. Potentially too many devices being focused on at once with some eating into the other (this PS phone backbone and Project Q, for example).

Time will tell if they're spreading themselves too thin with potentially self-inflicted conflicting interests with software on platforms that eat into one another, which is a problem Microsoft have today in addition to the aforementioned hardware one.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
There's 0 downside to backbone or q. it's not like launching a PSP/Vita or PSVR. It doesn't need software support. if it fails, the people who bought it will still be able to play ps5 games remotely for the life of the system.

D

Deleted member 417

The only time Sony put the sticks in the right place and it's for this shit?

The last console manufacturer to clout chase this hard was xbox with motion controls and, spoiler alert, it turned out terrible.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wouldn't the biggest limiting factor be your network anyway?

I mean wifi 6 is nice assuming you have a router capable and it will probably make a difference if your internet connection isn't limiting you, but if your network latency isn't great and speeds aren't consistent then wifi 6 won't change much.
Your internet connection doesn't affect a direct connection between your console and another and this one.

Wifi6 not only improves things like speed, latency or distance. It specially improves how it manages using multiple downloads/uploads at the same time inside that LAN.

Being in the same or the next room or so, one where the wifi has full coverage, using a wifi6 router and device should mean a big improvement over wifi5 and previous.

Reactions: Swift_Star