Why are video games seen as a waste of time, but binge watching Netflix is considered normal?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Was having this debate with my gf the other day. She dislikes video games and I said ‘why though? How are they different to films or TV series? In fact I’d argue they’re better as you’re actually engaged with it’ She weren’t having it

Going to the ballet, attending a concert, listening to a lecture, etc. all involve sitting in your chair and having accomplished "nothing". If this is the standard people are going to use, then they need to broaden the scope to include anything entertaining that doesn't involve active input from the entertained.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
To be fair, Netflix is a waste of time too.

It's pretty obvious what your gf wants in her life:
Summon Video Game GIF by Square Enix

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Anything out of the house is better, but I agree games get a bad rap compared to watching the latest Marvel movie or mediocre Netflix series. There's not much point in making a logical argument about it tho, it's cultural conditioning.

I think a big factor is that most of the biggest games are basically combat-focused. My wife might be halfway interested in the story of GOW Ragnarok or Horizon, but isn't interested in 40+ hours of great fighting mechanics.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I only play what I really want to, I usually play things that have a great and memorable story and experiences you'll never forget. So I never found it to be a waste of time.
Now.... walking around in circles in Minecraft with no particular goal and stuff like that, I have no time for that.

I don't pay for Netflix, Disney- or any other trash streaming service...I hate them all and the quality of content and target audience just offends me constantly.

Reactions: VillaiN

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
If you enjoy a hobby is not a waste of time.

Now I'm going to say something more controversial but that you just said is something I've seen a lot, it's like women don't want men to be happy 😅 they can spend 2 or 3 hours watching tik toks but the moment they hear you turning on the Playstation they want you to do something.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Going to the ballet, attending a concert, listening to a lecture, etc. all involve sitting in your chair and having accomplished "nothing".

If you listened to a lecture you probably came away with more than you did from the ballet or listening to live music.

Netflix and games are both wastes of time, they aren't productive. We all enjoy some non productive activities.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Female nature. She ll hate any hobby u have.

They dont like u giving attention to other things or spending money on those things.

They want to be center of your attention and all your money. Just ignore her. If shes pain in the ass, just dump her

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If you listened to a lecture you probably came away with more than you did from the ballet or listening to live music.

Netflix and games are both wastes of time, they aren't productive. We all enjoy some non productive activities.
That's so reductive. As if life was exclusively about being productive and everything else is a waste of time.

Even if your objective is to maximize how productive you are, it would probably still include some downtime for most people to achieve that optimally.

Reactions: Box

Nym

21 Jun 2022
That's so reductive. As if life was exclusively about being productive and everything else is a waste of time.

I specifically said we all enjoy and engage in activities that are not productive. But OP should not get defensive when his time wasting hobby is called out as such. The correct response to the gf is you waste your free time too so stfu

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I specifically said we all enjoy and engage in activities that are not productive. But OP should not get defensive when his time wasting hobby is called out as such. The correct response to the gf is you waste your free time too so stfu
Entertainment is not a waste of time necessarily, no more than a "lecture" can also be. I've seen enough "worthless" lecture for a lifetime.

Here are few lectures for you:

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's my time, I'll waste it how I like. Deal with it. If the girl doesn't like it she doesn't have to be around.

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Entertainment is not a waste of time necessarily, no more than a "lecture" can also be. I've seen enough "worthless" lecture for a lifetime.

Here is a lecture for you:

It's my opinion that things which are not productive are time wasters by definition, if your goal is to simply "enjoy yourself" with an activity, to me that is wasting time you could be using on productive things. Which isn't necessarily a judgement, as I said we all engage in these things and enjoy them from time to time, but we shouldn't lie to ourselves and think that there is a lot of value in the act enjoying media, certainly I don't see how dumping hours into videogames is inherently any more valuable than dumping hours into a netflix series.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's my opinion that things which are not productive are time wasters by definition, if your goal is to simply "enjoy yourself" with an activity, to me that is wasting time you could be using on productive things. Which isn't necessarily a judgement, as I said we all engage in these things and enjoy them from time to time, but we shouldn't lie to ourselves and think that there is a lot of value in the act enjoying media, certainly I don't see how dumping hours into videogames is inherently any more valuable than dumping hours into a netflix series.
In my opinion you are wrong and this discussion is probably a waste of time.

Enjoy your life chasing only productivity above anything else, let me know how that turns out, seems extremely unwise.

I also never suggested in any way that playing games is more or less valuable than watching series/movies.

Nym

21 Jun 2022
In my opinion you are wrong and this discussion is probably a waste of time.

Enjoy your life chasing only productivity above anything else, let me know how that turns out, seems extremely unwise.

Videogame forums are a waste of time absolutely. No need to be so triggered about my opinion on the value of entertainment media, as though I am claiming I only pursue productive things. I play a lot of videogames man, they're not really doing a lot for me.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Videogame forums are a waste of time absolutely. No need to be so triggered about my opinion on the value of media, as though I am claiming I only pursue productive things. I play a lot of videogames man, they're not really doing a lot for me.
The only person who seems triggered here is you. You need to go watch a lecture on text interpretation so you stop wasting our time by misconstruing my points.

Boston Celtics What GIF by NBA

Nym

21 Jun 2022
The only person who seems triggered here is you. You need to go watch a lecture on text interpretation so you stop wasting our time by misconstruing my points.

Isn't there a videogame I could play to learn that why are you talking about lectures

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Isn't there a videogame I could play to learn that why are you talking about lectures
You can play FFXVI and understand that life ain't about being a slave and it's about living on your own terms.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I always use this point whenever someone questions why I enjoy games so much, even at 25 years old. The same way you just binged an entire show on your da off, is the same way I can binge FFXVI over the weekend. No difference at all, one is just more socially acceptable than the other.