Why do you love PlayStation?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I know SEGA CD had some kind of memory for saves built-in, hell if I can remember correctly thesedays.

But in terms of saving game progress easily? PS1 feels like the first time that was done "right".

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Basically, because they are -according to my personal tastes- the ones who consistently perform better in all fronts:
  • They make most of my favorite 1st party games every generation
  • They have most of my favorite exclusives every generation
  • Their console is the one with the best 3rd party multiplatform support, many games aren't on Switch or Xbox but always in PS
  • Their console offers high end visuals at a decent price every generation
  • Their console has my favorite default gamepad every generation because I have symmetrical hands
  • Their game sub is my favorite one:
    • The biggest -and my favorite catalog in the market- for the game sub and its cloud platform
    • Best game streaming in the market (it features not only 4K 60fps, but also HDR and 3D audio)
    • Discounts that almost every year saved me more money than what the yearly game sub did cost me
  • They are normally the first console to support certain innovations like DVD, Bluerays, cross-buy, cross-play, cross-save, remote play, cloud gaming, modern VR, etc.
After all these generations I'm confident that they'll deliver a top tier catalog of great games with top tier 1st party and 3rd party support, in a machine that will have great horsepower for a decent pricing, and also leading great innovations or uniqueness.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
I know SEGA CD had some kind of memory for saves built-in, hell if I can remember correctly thesedays.

But in terms of saving game progress easily? PS1 feels like the first time that was done "right".

Technically speaking the NEO-GEO was the first system with memory card support...but that system was also $699. The cool part tho was you could use the card between home and arcade versions of games.

Anyhow, to the thread's question...what I've always liked about PlayStation was that they always seemed to best understand the market and meet the needs of developers and customers, as far as platform holders go. And always seemed able to provide the best balance of innovation, unique software variety (both 1P and 3P), branding, marketing, communication, power, price and showcase/industry-leading software creating total long-lasting value proposition.

However, I can't say that PlayStation of current is necessarily executing on all of these fronts as effectively as in the past. There are business models they could be introducing to foster more B2P sales but they aren't. There are features they could be adding to better match gaming experiences on other platforms like Steam but they aren't. They have very few genuine 1P or 3P exclusives for their console as most of the 1P slate this gen has been ported to PC or will be by the end of this year, and it seems exclusivity windows for big 3P exclusives is shortening (i.e FF7 Rebirth).

They've had very poor communication with fans in online enthusiasts spaces in a relatable means, and similar with media & press. They don't have mascots like Kevin Butler or events like PS Experience anymore. They've had very few 1P or 3P exclusives really flexing the power of base PS5 ahead of the Pro's launch. They've raised prices on things like PS+ without providing sufficient explanation or manifestation of added value proposition to justify it to most customers.

And, while very high-quality games, stuff like GOW Ragnarok, Spiderman 2, HFW etc. feel a lot like iterations of game design ideas mostly solidified with prior gen installments; i.e in ways outside of production values it's prob fair to say Sony's current-gen AAA releases haven't had big innovations or industry-leading game design influences the way a Baldur's Gate 3, Elden Ring, or Tears of the Kingdom have had. Or for that matter, like The Last of Us had back in the PS3 generation.

So yeah, there are many reasons I heavily enjoy the PlayStation brand, but there are a lot of things they could be doing better at this generation, maybe more than some even recognize.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I really like the first 12 years of the brand (PS1 PS2 PSP)

PS1 is a top 3 console. Maybe top 1. The sheer quantity and quality of games. Lots of experimental and hidden gems I am discovering to this day. Decent graphics, standardized controller scheme for the next 30 years.

That's my favourite ps console although in theory it should be the PS2 since it's all that plus a top 5 all time console. But my caveat with the PS2 was that it should have had better specs , all games should have been 480p and 16:9 for future proofing. PSP maybe pound by pound the most advanced console ever.

Not a fan of what came next, bar some exceptions.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I do love them. Yall need to embrace the love lol.

For me the consoles have always been great, from the style, controller, games, adverts, to the weirdness and uniqueness of there games and marketing. The mature tone etc.

And of course most importantly, the exclusives. From the exclusives of PS1/PS2 days like MGS, RE2, Tekken, Onimusha, God of War, Shadow of the Collosus, Crash, Jak n Daxter, GT, RRType 4, FF7-12.

And the 1st and 3rd party exclusives of PS3/PS4 and how the PS studios became some of the greatest developers of all time with games like Uncharted 2-4, TLOU1/2, Demons Souls, Bloodborne and God of War 3-2018, Ghost of Tsushima just to name a few

Reactions: Sircaw and JAHGamer

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Pretty much every single year Playstation has some of the best games that are either made/published by Sony or exclusive to PS.

Sony is by far the best game publisher in my opinion.

Reactions: Sircaw and JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
@Bryank75 can we permanently ban anyone that has this PS Stars collectible??

GJZakvSXAAA2jZ7

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Because it's the most well rounded console every gen both in Hardware and software.

They are willing to take some risks as well to push the industry forward each gen, so I can appreciate that even if they end uo failing.

Wish they'd realize what made them get to where they are now though, seems they've lost sight of what PlayStation actually is.

Reactions: arvfab