Why is Insomniac Games Incapable of making a successful new IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I am right because the thread RIGHT NOW is called "Why is Insomniac games incapable of making a successful new IP".
And they have been struggling to create a new successful IP for at least 15 years.
Won't the Wolverine game be a new IP? Or are we again counting that craptastic Wolverine game that came a decade ago as the OG IP?

OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Won't the Wolverine game be a new IP? Or are we again counting that craptastic Wolverine game that came a decade ago as the OG IP?
Spider-Man and Wolverine are Marvel IPs.
Decades old. Not an Insomniac IP. I'm talking about creating new and successful IPs.
Like Guerrilla did with Horizon, or Sucker Punch with Ghost of Tsushima.

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Decades old. Not an Insomniac IP. I'm talking about creating new and successful IPs.
Debatable, both their Spiderman and Wolverine games have their own universes, separate to the movie franchises, which had to be created by Insomniac. As you would a new IP.

Reactions: FIREK2029

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

Who made the spiderman IP in gaming successful again, please remind me? Go check every single Spiderman game since... ever, and find one that sold more. I'll wait.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Don't know the answer to this, but I would honestly love to see them not making comic stuff. I played the spider man games, but they just don't do anything for me, and I couldn't care less about Wolverine. I know this will rub a lot of fans the wrong way but I have as much interest in comic book IPs as I do playing a Care Bears game. It's literally on the same level for me.

Ok that's not entirely true because I wouldn't have bought a Care Bears game but it's close enough ...

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Don't know the answer to this, but I would honestly love to see them not making comic stuff. I played the spider man games, but they just don't do anything for me, and I couldn't care less about Wolverine. I know this will rub a lot of fans the wrong way but I have as much interest in comic book IPs as I do playing a Care Bears game. It's literally on the same level for me.

This is true, I'd love to see them make a more serious non comic game, absolutely. But I am excited as hell for SM2 and Wolverine.

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
I am right because the thread RIGHT NOW is called "Why is Insomniac games incapable of making a successful new IP".
And they have been struggling to create a new successful IP for at least 15 years.
Resistance was successful enough to get multiple entries, 2 whole sequels

Sunset Overdrive is a really good game that should've had the PlayStation audience to support it

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
That is an interesting question that challenges Insomniac's team, they have tried with Sunset Overdrive but unfortunately, it didn't succeed & I'd put the blame on Xbox's trash PR & how PS4 overshadowed Xbox One at the time, if Sunset came out on PS4 in those 2016/2017/2018 times, it would've been a successful new IP.

But that's one example, now they have all the ingredients & succeeding factors on their side, I feel like they are wasting it & putting all focus on already proven IPs from Marvel like Spider Man & Wolverine, I'm afraid Sony might turn them into Marvel games production team from now on, that alone would erase their identity as a studio tbh.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
That is an interesting question that challenges Insomniac's team, they have tried with Sunset Overdrive but unfortunately, it didn't succeed & I'd put the blame on Xbox's trash PR & how PS4 overshadowed Xbox One at the time, if Sunset came out on PS4 in those 2016/2017/2018 times, it would've been a successful new IP.

Sunset Overdrive was a victim of Xbox's demographics and the piss poor reception the Xbox got. I don't think trash PR was an issue, it's moreso demographics and a very poor console.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: LED and Cragarmi

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
Sunset Overdrive was a victim of Xbox's demographics and the piss poor reception the Xbox got. I don't think trash PR was an issue, it's moreso demographics and a very poor console.
Oh yeah I meant to type that instead of PR, I wasn't accurate, but yes thanks for correcting me.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Darth Vader
OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Who made the spiderman IP in gaming successful again, please remind me? Go check every single Spiderman game since... ever, and find one that sold more. I'll wait.
They topic here is about Insomniac struggling to create a succssful new IP.
Yes I know they made a good selling Ubisoft-open-world Marvel Spidey game.

Status
Not open for further replies.