Why is the amount of Gamepass subscribers “Highly Confidential”?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
So many companies with subscription services reveal how many subscribers they have.

Crunchyroll: 14.5 million

Netflix: 238.39 million

Disney+: 146.1 million

HBO Max: 76.8 million

Paramount+: 60.7 million

PlayStation Plus: 47.4 million

Nintendo Online: 36 million

I just assume if a company doesn’t share numbers it’s because they’re bad or could give a negative impression. If they break records you’ll hear them shouting from the rooftops within days of release but they gain nothing by talking about slow growth to the public.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's hilarious how they have to contort themselves so much.... first console sales dont matter, then software sales dont matter, profit doesn't matter...

Then they decide that it is subscriptions that matter.... but then they slow down, so now they don't matter anymore and must be kept confidential.

Any information Xbox / MSFT release is so meaningless at this stage. They have basically run out of figures to spin.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They have rolled Gold into gamepass basic now. You’d think they could chest beat about an “increase”

Exactly, I thought an announce for 35 million was imminent. 25 plus about 10 million gold... and still quiet! Weird.

At any rate, I'm not sure how long it might stay at that level. They seem to be hitting a wall regardless.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Because it is not growing.

When it was growing MS released each new milestone data.

But after 25 million… 30 million never come.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Because it’s stagnant and it’s not going to grow more.
MS has, once again, read the gaming market wrong.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Unless they are numbers that they must share for being a public company due to legal reasons, companys only share numbers when they consider it's something worth to brag about.

To don't share them don't imply they are bad. Maybe they don't share them because they aren't special or worth sharing.

How many copies did sell games like Uncharted 4 sold until now? Who knows, Sony doesn't share Uncharted 4 numbers since a gazillion years ago. Does it mean they are bad? No, they simply maybe aren't something special for them because they have many other game that sold similar or higher numbers, and the updated numbers of that game are just a random number for them and only a few hardcore fans would care about.

Regarding GP, the subs number has been stagnant for around a year, and now they removed the $1 tricks and that will increse prices, pretty likely will decrease in the following months since their (pre-ABK) last hope Starfield won't pump the numbers as they'd like.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
If we could work out sales percentage split of active player base for games, and we also knew how many people were subscribing to gp at the same time, we could probably extrapolate some bad-news theoretical numbers easier.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
They're betting it all on Game Pass.

Sure, they're worth trilling of dollars, but they're not going to keep losing billions on a service that's proving to be unfruitful.

They announced 25m subscribers a few years ago (I believe) and it's stagnant. If they acquire ABK and it's still around 25-30, then it's going to be bad for the service. They'll have more studios and they're committed to releasing games on a service day one.

Releasing 4 major titles each year while not seeing any growth? Then that's bad.

I'm sure they're looking at all the streaming services falling apart.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Because it’s stagnant and it’s not going to grow more.
MS has, once again, read the gaming market wrong.
You just wait until Microsoft power-up those Doritos' printing presses again, you will see numbers that you did not even think were possible.

Doritos GIF

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Part of me also thinks it's so they can bluff publishers and developers when getting thee Day One deals. Exaggerating or underselling where necessary to get them to say yes, or agree to take a certain amount under what they initially asked.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Exactly, I thought an announce for 35 million was imminent. 25 plus about 10 million gold... and still quiet! Weird.

At any rate, I'm not sure how long it might stay at that level. They seem to be hitting a wall regardless.
They may be waiting to pull the trigger balancing passage of time, allowing people to “forget” the how and why

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Because Xbox has zero effect on MS stock price so they can just hide and pretend things are better than they are and the main stakeholders don't care either way

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss