Why is the amount of Gamepass subscribers “Highly Confidential”?

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Lol Xbox is not going away.
If GamePass fails, they will abandon it and continue with three major publishers and Xbox's own studios under their belt.
Xbox, after the acquisition of ABK, will be as profitable as PlayStation, if not at least come close to it. The question is, can they sustain and increase it?

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
that question is answer in the video:

they will not be able to reach their own metrics for success.
I am not talking about GamePass.
I mean after the acquisition of ABK. Would they able to sustain the revenue and profitability of Xbox?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Lol Xbox is not going away.
If GamePass fails, they will abandon it and continue with three major publishers and Xbox's own studios under their belt.
Xbox, after the acquisition of ABK, will be as profitable as PlayStation, if not at least come close to it. The question is, can they sustain and increase it?
Microsoft Games Studios would continue, but Xbox? I mean Phil said that they would exit gaming, I assumed he meant Xbox would exit the console market, it may be a selling of the console division and some, of not all, studios.

I think Elon Musk is preparing to merge Xbox and Twitter, this is why he renamed it.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because MS didnt get to where it is from being honest. Seriously doubt they made all that money from there products being sold all these years…

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
They may be waiting to pull the trigger balancing passage of time, allowing people to “forget” the how and why
This. Especially if they wait just long enough after that news, and just close enough to the Starfield launch, they can try to spin it as if that game is what drew in so many new subscribers.

Reactions: Shmunter

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Not only is the number nothing to brag about, but the cost of running the service is a bloodbath. Funding first party games like Starfield and big 3rd party deals isn't sustainable with the subscribers they've got.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
So many companies with subscription services reveal how many subscribers they have.

Crunchyroll: 14.5 million

Netflix: 238.39 million

Disney+: 146.1 million

HBO Max: 76.8 million

Paramount+: 60.7 million

PlayStation Plus: 47.4 million

Nintendo Online: 36 million

I just assume if a company doesn’t share numbers it’s because they’re bad or could give a negative impression. If they break records you’ll hear them shouting from the rooftops within days of release but they gain nothing by talking about slow growth to the public.

Microsoft has been hiding all of Xbox cash flows behind the mountain of profits that are Windows and 365 by putting it all under "More Personal Computing" in their quarterly results.
If they told the public how many subscribers there are (especially if discounting the $1 for 3 months promotions and the like) then the actual losses that Gamepass represent would be easier to calculate, perhaps to the point of regulators accusing them of selling their product below production cost to stifle competition.

As it is, Phil gets to lie is teeth out about how sustainable Gamepass is. Which it obviously isn't, as all the revenue they get from 25 million subscribers is obviously not enough to cover the hundreds of millions they need to pay for each AAA day-one title they put in their survice, let alone the humongous costs in salaries they have to pay for their 1st party developers.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
What do you mean why? I know you aren't like these other fanboys that give excuses or conspiracy theories. Xbox stopped sharing sales numbers, sub numbers, etc because Sony was demolishing them and once that became constant they decided to obfuscate, not release numbers or use metrics like 1,000,000 spacecrafts orbiting earth stats to try to make it look good in front of shareholders.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
What do you mean why? I know you aren't like these other fanboys that give excuses or conspiracy theories. Xbox stopped sharing sales numbers, sub numbers, etc because Sony was demolishing them and once that became constant they decided to obfuscate, not release numbers or use metrics like 1,000,000 spacecrafts orbiting earth stats to try to make it look good in front of shareholders.
Lol my conspiracy theories are based on experience. Try and change a law in a country and you realise its all massive joke From top to bottom. Shills, figures that are sprung from the pits of someones ass and all sorts of nonsense that people overlook because they trust the numbers and people who give them.
They are mostly all in bed with each other ;)

• Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78