Why there’s so much negativity and hatred in gaming right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
People get/got attached to there one box, The one box they have enjoyed since Childhood/Teens and it started in/on the playground.
Then in later years when the internet became popular people started to have a louder voice, It was not contained to XBL/PSParty/Ventrilo/TeamSpeak.
With easy access to speak your mind to as many people that will listen or read it became a wild ride of this side / that side and some picked a side.
When it becomes a bad thing is when you become overly attached to it, Just like anything you can get attached to it can make you overly protective.

I have owned at one point or another all Consoles and PC but i have stuck with PS for a few reasons.

1. Its where Most/All my friends are.
2. Its where I have enjoyed the most games in my time playing games.
3. It is where most of my gaming Digital library is.

Gaming is a way to enjoy downtime, Take you out of the "Real World".
To let your mind wonder and take you out of the stress you might be having or to just relax at the end of the day.

Gaming for me will always be a way to be entertained, I might like one box more then the other but i enjoy all games no matter where or what they are or could be.

We are all here to have fun and enjoy gaming, So lets have fun and enjoy our time on this planet.
Season 3 Netflix GIF by Stranger Things

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I don't think it's something affecting only gaming, unfortunately. People nowadays feel the urge to give their opinions when they are not asked (which is ok) AND even when they are ignorant in that matter (which is not ok).
The past 2 years seem to have worsen it even more, with everybody and their dogs suddenly being MDs and giving their "advices" regarding the virus.

Regarding gaming, it surely doesn't help when majority of the "media" is only able to survive thanks to console warring. Every tiny occasion to turn something into negativity is taken, just for the clicks, views and retweets. And people are stupid enough to fall for it, without an inch of scepticism.

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Whereas toxicity has always existed in gaming, I think it has become much more noticeable with the increase in social media. However I think this forum proves that this negativity is just a small minority, and though they may shout louder, we all know that when you shout continuously you will strain your voice, and then you can't shout again for a while. We all just need to speak up a bit when they go quiet, sorry this post became more abstract as I wrote it! 😂

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 140

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
I bet it’s all people being spoiled lately + companies trying f*ck with consumers with almost every game release, MTXs, Always-online crap, games built with Game Pass trash model, unfinished buggy games etc etc…

But sometimes you just can appreciate the hate and how funny and creative some of the memes people have created, just because Guerrilla Games made Aloy with kind of an inflated face filled with water weight, people turned it into McDonald’s fat woman like that, it’s very silly but it’s so damn funny. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

FWxn2imUUAAebgE

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Excellent thread @Swift_Star

I think the biggest problem is the obvious console wars. People are very tribal, and the console warring is a byproduct of that. However, this is not the biggest problem related to console wars. The biggest one is that you have one company actively engaging in and partnering with console warriors, Microsoft. The ambassador program existing is, to me, absolutely unreal and unacceptable. It's basically a public astroturfing program.

Then you have the obvious political agendas, from all sides, but I won't comment on those as not to derail the thread.

Theap99

21 Jun 2022
Cus the industry is constantly leading people on with false promises and dead-ends. There's no actual consistently fully great releases anymore

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: LED and Sircaw
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Excellent thread @Swift_Star

I think the biggest problem is the obvious console wars. People are very tribal, and the console warring is a byproduct of that. However, this is not the biggest problem related to console wars. The biggest one is that you have one company actively engaging in and partnering with console warriors, Microsoft. The ambassador program existing is, to me, absolutely unreal and unacceptable. It's basically a public astroturfing program.

Then you have the obvious political agendas, from all sides, but I won't comment on those as not to derail the thread.
Tbh I didn’t even know this ambassador tbing was real lmao.

Reactions: Sircaw

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Tbh I didn’t even know this ambassador tbing was real lmao.

That page provides some context, but you need to go down the rabbit hole.

And then you have examples of people that don't really play games at all, but defend every single thing Xbox thing, like clockwork. Here I'll drop a single example:

How this has not been investigated as an open scheme of astroturfing is beyond me.

Reactions: LED

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

That page provides some context, but you need to go down the rabbit hole.

And then you have examples of people that don't really play games at all, but defend every single thing Xbox thing, like clockwork. Here I'll drop a single example:

How this has not been investigated as an open scheme of astroturfing is beyond me.

"Ambassadors are here to pretend we love gaming" Rofl
How could you type that out and think....Yep this it a great thing to say to a gaming community is beyond me.
New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

azertydu91

4 Jul 2022
I think it is a mix of confirmaton bias and for some that translate into dismissing what other do..."For my brand to be successful others have to failed" without realising that 1,2,3,X actors in this industry can all be successful without the need to shit on others.Just be happy with what you bought play what you want to play and if you are not happy then sell it back.
How hard is it and why do we have to be this invested in our choices, it's OK to be wrong to change tastes but no, for some if they are unhappy then everybody else should be.

Reactions: Sircaw and Cragarmi

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think it is a mix of confirmaton bias and for some that translate into dismissing what other do..."For my brand to be successful others have to failed" without realising that 1,2,3,X actors in this industry can all be successful without the need to shit on others.Just be happy with what you bought play what you want to play and if you are not happy then sell it back.
How hard is it and why do we have to be this invested in our choices, it's OK to be wrong to change tastes but no, for some if they are unhappy then everybody else should be.

What is beyond me is that some people cheer for consolidation. Just think about that for a bit...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab and Cragarmi
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
What is beyond me is that some people cheer for consolidation. Just think about that for a bit...
That’s a funny thing though because it’s ok to consolidate only if a certain company is doing it, of course.

azertydu91

4 Jul 2022
Yay the others are not getting what I would've had anyway my choice is therefore more validated....I don't care if there are problems on my side as long as I can show the problems on the other sides.Because I need to feel part of someting, I AM what I CONSUME.Criticizing what I bought thus become a personal attack.
That's how some people think, it can be a conscious or unconscious process.

• brain
Reactions: Cragarmi
Status
Not open for further replies.