Will PlayStation ever make a new gacha game using there own ip after the success of these gacha anime games on PS from Korea, China & Japan?

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
the_hashiras___demon_slayer__gacha_club__by_martlife23_dg8g8pq-pre.jpg

I would like to see a Demon Slayer open world gacha game from PS at a first party level. Demon Slayer is already big in Japan & the west & a gacha game could expand the ip in a significant ways in China/Korea.

Seems like a miss opportunity to not capitalize.

ftav_p_1121_jan18.jpg

Insomniac can take the Marvel coop concept & make a Marvel open world gacha game for both PS & Mobile this would allow PS to expand to Mobile & live service while also making more PS console exclusive games because the game itself is design for mobile expansion these gacha games don’t necessarily need to be on PC further bolstering the need of a PS console to play these amazing games.

infamous_2_by_patrickbrown_d3ifqef-fullview.jpg

A inFAMOUS open world gacha anime game would be cool to see. And could help PS expand both PS & the inFAMOUS ip to mobile.

2_03d31de6.jpg

Project-Mugen-Wallrunning-scaled.jpg

Project Mugen from Tencent. Open world gacha game w spiderman swinging.

maxresdefault.jpg

New Chinese gacha game.

Sony leaving these games solely to 3rd party is a mistake imo. Just like how they left live service games to 3rd party & now when they want to expand into live service they have to go against a Fortnite, Apex, Roblox that has 5+ years of content & relationship with its consumer.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Maybe they should of purchased something like the Genshin studio/MihoYo etc. They are probably way too expensive now to buy.

But yes, if they cant buy somethinig like Mihoyo, then they are gonna have to try to make there own

• thisistheway
Reactions: Neversummer

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Maybe they should of purchased something like the Genshin studio/MihoYo etc. They are probably way too expensive now to buy.

But yes, if they cant buy somethinig like Mihoyo, then they are gonna have to try to make there own
Why buy them? To pay the staff? They are making bank by just having those in the psn store with just 30%.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why buy them? To pay the staff? They are making bank by just having those in the psn store with just 30%.
Because then they will earn “100%”. Don’t have to worry about anyone else acquiring them. And also its a genre they can have 1st party.
They should try for alot more genres as they are going for mobile and pc market it seems. Keep to what they know best, double down on it, expand but also spread out into new genres

• thisistheway

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I feel like licensing those properties out to external devs for a 10-20% royalty is smarter (+30% from the PS storefront). No risk, all profit.

OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

I think because Hoyo is tied to China that won’t happen.

But yes if it could they should definitely pull the trigger. Genshin alone be making as much profit as PS as a whole does

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
N

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Because Tencent could buy them & shift focus from releasing on PS to releasing on PC, Mobile & Nintendo.

Ofc hypothetically. Not sure why people act like 3rd party will always release there games exclusively to PS. Yakuza & Persona use to release exclusively on PS now there 3rd party & if Xbox ever buys Sega I would not be surprised if Yakuza & Persona only release on Xbox, PC & Nintendo.

If PS consoles where selling 200+ million there will be no world where a studio or publisher skip PS but that’s not the case

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I feel like the playing field has changed a lot and they are now comfortable going back to their old ways of securing console exclusives with these kinda games... As I don't think they have the resources to even do this without it taking years to make.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Because Tencent could buy them & shift focus from releasing on PS to releasing on PC, Mobile & Nintendo.

Ofc hypothetically. Not sure why people act like 3rd party will always release there games exclusively to PS. Yakuza & Persona use to release exclusively on PS now there 3rd party & if Xbox ever buys Sega I would not be surprised if Yakuza & Persona only release on Xbox, PC & Nintendo.

If PS consoles where selling 200+ million there will be no world where a studio or publisher skip PS but that’s not the case
Sony and Tencent are business partners in gaming 🙃

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony announced partnerships with most of the top mobile F2P / gatcha devs in Asia, in many cases apparently to let them make mobile games using their IPs, or to support the future Sony games in Asia regions, or to release their games on PS (sometimes with console exclusivity).

As I remember they announced deals with companies like Tencent, Netease (via Bungie), NC Soft, MiHoyo, Nexon, Shift Up, Pearl Abyss, Akatsuki (3 way deal also with Koei Tecmo) or CyGames (3 way deal also with Kadokawa).

And well, they bought Lasengle many years ago.

So I assume yes, some day they'll make a gatcha game using their IPs. Or at least some mobile F2P spinoff/new game of some of their IPs that they see fit. But I assume in most cases will be things like Genshin Impact: a dedicated new IP for that market, where in some case they may put Sony guest characters as did putting Aloy in Genshin Impact.

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Because then they will earn “100%”. Don’t have to worry about anyone else acquiring them. And also its a genre they can have 1st party.
They should try for alot more genres as they are going for mobile and pc market it seems. Keep to what they know best, double down on it, expand but also spread out into new genres
But then they have to pay to keep making that 100%. And as we have seen with xbox buying cod, it would be stupid to skip playstation.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Sony will never have a 1st party gacha game with the way things stand. There is no western studio with the required work ethic to make a huge game like genshin and keep turning out content on a regular basis. We have devs who think working 40 hrs is a chore good luck getting them to make something like GI or HSR.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
If they do one it's being outsourced with aforementioned partnerships just like the Horizon MMO with NCsoft or eventual joint ventures like Palworld.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
But then they have to pay to keep making that 100%. And as we have seen with xbox buying cod, it would be stupid to skip playstation.
Possibly but theres huge differences between the 2.

Playstation has been successful for decades. Xbox hasnt. Xbox wasnt doing well with its own studios and other acquisitions before making the 2 of the most expensive gaming acquistiions of all time. Activision costing 70+billion.

PS buying a studio like that wouldnt cost the same plus they are way more profitbable to run compared to something like Activision with so many many studios

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PS should bring back Toro & make it PS own Animal Crossing. Atleast Toro would cater to a younger universal family friendly crowd
Wouldnt cost a bomb to make, just do a good full effort job with decent studio. If they also have a handheld it would help

• thisistheway

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I think Marvel might want to stay from anything live service and loot boxes with Avengers after the Square Enix one fell flat on its face.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I already explained to you why they shouldn't and why it's not a good idea.

Sony's other subsidiaries are already doing well with gacha. Sony also has already gotten many of the big gacha games on PS5. No one wants PlayStation 1st party to be affiliated with that crap. They're already making a boatload of money from gacha, stop trying to waste 1st party studios time with it.

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Sony will never have a 1st party gacha game with the way things stand. There is no western studio with the required work ethic to make a huge game like genshin and keep turning out content on a regular basis. We have devs who think working 40 hrs is a chore good luck getting them to make something like GI or HSR.
They already have it. Fate stay order makes them 1 billion a year from Japan alone.