Windows 12 May Require a Subscription - PC Mag

Will MS make Windows a subscription service OS?

• Total voters

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Just a holla to my PCMR friends....

https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-12-may-require-a-subscription
Microsoft is reportedly considering releasing Windows 12 as a subscription service.

As Neowin reports, an INI configuration file in the Windows Canary channel, discovered by German website Deskmodder, includes references to a "Subscription Edition," "Subscription Type," and a "subscription status."

We currently have two main versions of Windows 11 - Home and Professional, which cost a set price and include free updates for the lifetime of the operating system. It looks as though Microsoft may change that for Windows 12, with the upfront cost replaced by an ongoing subscription charge that would limit access to features based on the subscription tier chosen.

For preconfigured desktop PCs and laptops that ship with Windows 12 preinstalled, it would allow manufacturers to lower their prices as Microsoft would likely let them install Windows 12 for free knowing that the person buying the system would need to pay a subscription.

We currently have two main versions of Windows 11 - Home and Professional, which cost a set price and include free updates for the lifetime of the operating system. It looks as though Microsoft may change that for Windows 12, with the upfront cost replaced by an ongoing subscription charge that would limit access to features based on the subscription tier chosen.

For preconfigured desktop PCs and laptops that ship with Windows 12 preinstalled, it would allow manufacturers to lower their prices as Microsoft would likely let them install Windows 12 for free knowing that the person buying the system would need to pay a subscription.

If this turns out to be the case, we also need to consider the possibility of Microsoft offering a free tier and forcing the user to view ads placed throughout the Windows 12 experience.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
linux+pirates+they'll never get people to upgrade lmao

the business world already uses majority linux or unix based systems because windows is inefficient and insecure as fuck, this would just spell the end of windows as the primary PC operating system in homes and office computers

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I don’t think this is a good decision to force a os to be based on a subscription. Even though red hat does this with their Linux distro I would say that it’s not a good thing for the average consumer in an age where everyone is trying to sell a subscription. Just more anti consumerist moves by Microsoft.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I'm not going to use an Operating System-as-a-service. And I doubt anyone who makes software for windows is going to like this.

Proton can run any windows x86 app, right?

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
Forcing something like this on pc is nearly impossible, this is not a closed ecosystem like consoles.

They can try, but also every person who wants to run a pirated version is going to do so. The only ones who are going to be stuck with a subscription are the ones who have no knowledge at all. Word is a subscription service now, but guess what? if you go to literally Youtube and search "Microsoft Word 1 link" you are going to get it for free in less than 5 minutes.

Reactions: Banana and Snes nes

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Microsoft OS getting more garbage day by day just use imac already
The funny thing is you'd be trading Hitler for Stalin.

Apple will for sure go that route. No one knows how to milk their consumers better than apple.

If anything I can see this just effecting the casual markets. The implications of this won't be felt right away, but I think linux will grow significantly due to this. As @anonpuffs said, windows is really only used by basic business and home consumers. All "real" computing is using linux already. This website is hosted on a linux server.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It goes without saying. The time is NOW. Purge Microsoft products from your households. Switch to Mac, Linux, Haiku, whatever. Anything but Windows!

Fixed it there for you buddy. Moving from MS to Mac, if the idea is to somehow be free, would be like moving from explosive diarrhea to not being able to shit at all.

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
Windows 11 isnt perfect, but theres a lot it gets right. Id stick with it as long as I could if they tried a maneuver like this.

Honestly, ever since they did this for Microsoft Office, I ditched that too. Not big on subscriptions in general.