With Sony buying EVO back in 2021 where are the first party fighting studios?

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
With Sony buying EVO in 2021 where are the first party fighting studio? When will PS have a first party fighting studio? Will they put effort beyond owning EVO? From the leaked emails we know Sony is aware that they own EVO but don’t have a first party studio/first party fighting game to mainline EVO

I’m surprised Sony went & bought EVO the biggest fighting game tournament in 2021 but didn’t have the insight of also buying multiple fighting studios or at the very least green lighting fighting games from 3rd party. Bring back PS Allstars BR it was pretty obvious Nintendo would’ve pullout Smash out of EVO once Sony owned them so did Sony not have the foresight? Where 3 years in after acquisition & seemily still have nothing in the near future. If we ever get anything will have to wait a minimum of 3-4 years depending if they solely focus on a live service platformer like Multiversus w no campaign so roughly 6-7 years after acquisition will we get anything from Sony regarding games for EVO which is embarrassing near sighted (Nickelodeon Allstars 1 & 2 took 2 years to make likely took 3-4 years for the first since a sequel would’ve been easier)

Fighting games I like to see from Sony

PS Allstars BR 2
PS VS Capcom
Demon Slayer
The Boys fighter/The Boys VS MK
Demon Souls vs Bloodborne vs Elden Ring ‘Soulsborne fighter’

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
PS4 gen and their efforts then kinda gave them dominance as the platform of choice for the entire genre.

This is a fine position as fighter genre still mostly dominated by sf, tekken and mortal kombat in the traditional space. Put up anything against street fighter and I will buy street fighter… even if Sony tries themselves. Nah, I’m good.

MK used to push the biggest numbers but MK1 seems to have underperformed and SF6 hasn’t really moved the needle either. The hardcore crowd is taken care of and the growth isn’t there with the mainstay franchises.

I’m totally ignoring smash and will continue to do so. But if we’re bringing up smash night as well go steps further and include pro wrestling games and For Honor. Which… fine... that would be fair game.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Releasing quality fighting games requires a level of expertise not many have. How many new fighting game studios or IPs have been created lately?

Hell let's see how project L turns out

Reactions: Yuniac

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
They should buy Arc System works, create a Spny 2d fighter

I agree with this, Arc Sys are underrated and have incredible knowledge of the fighting game genre.

Sony own half of Dimps too, they might be available to be completely acquired, by buying out Namcos share.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
PS is the fighting game platform, the only one with basically all of the modern ones.

So bought EVO -I assume cheap because of the controversies- basically as an advertisements platform where they know almost everybody watching it is a potential or current customer, and that may help them when negotiating with 3rd party publishers to advertise their fighting games and accesories (plus 1st party eSports focused accesories).

In fact, this year or the next one may announce there that Killer Instinct -the missing one- is coming to PS.

Don't need to buy a fighting game publisher but yes, to acquire Capcom, Dimps or ARC System Works would be a great acquisition that would fit with EVO very well. I assume they may not want to sell because they work very well alone and multiplatform, and in case in Dimps -even if in the last decade worked for Capcom and Sony- normally works for Bandai Namco (co-owner of Dimps in addition to the CEO and Sony).

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
They didn't buy Evo to make fighting game studios, that would only invite scrutiny in terms of antitrust etc for what is a niche genre at this point.

They bought it to ensure that all fighting games have to consider the ps5 their lead platform, and all for a relative pittance in terms of costs.

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024
It's all about mindset Sony playing a psychological game, people will start associating fighting games with PlayStation which will lead to more console sales and higher market share which will make the devlopers ensure the PlayStation version is best version.

Think About It GIF by Identity

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm a bit confuse here.

Because Sony never bought EVO with intent to make a fighting game.
They bought EVO to ensure that PlayStation is the default platform for fighting games.

They made PS5 "THE" Fighting game platform.

AfnanAcchan

3 Mar 2023
Company that Sony should buy is SNK. They own multiple fighting game franchise like King of Fighter, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown and platformer like Metal Slug. Currently they are owned by Saudi prince, MiSK Foundation.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
BEEN saying sony should have scooped up arc system works, they already make a lot of exclusives for Sony.

OP
OP
N

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Company that Sony should buy is SNK. They own multiple fighting game franchise like King of Fighter, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown and platformer like Metal Slug. Currently they are owned by Saudi prince, MiSK Foundation.
The Saudis already bought SNK so it’s already to late & the Saudis said they wana buy another gaming publisher so it wouldn’t be surprising if they target Sega, Capcom or Koei Tecmo since it would be reasonable that they would wana double down gaming in Japan & Sega & Capcom has similar catalog to what they’ve been investing (esports, fighters, classic arcades, ip)

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
The Saudis already bought SNK so it’s already to late & the Saudis said they wana buy another gaming publisher so it wouldn’t be surprising if they target Sega, Capcom or Koei Tecmo since it would be reasonable that they would wana double down gaming in Japan & Sega & Capcom has similar catalog to what they’ve been investing (esports, fighters, classic arcades, ip)
if Capcom were to be sold, it would be highly disputed in bidding wars

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
if Capcom were to be sold, it would be highly disputed in bidding wars
This is not accurate. First Capcom peremptory ruled out to be acquired by Microsoft. Secondly in Japan big acquisition are running with different processes. It's not like in the west. Acquisitions in Japan are are organised & coordinated. They are controlled and need to be approved by the Japanese government & JFTC.

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
This is not accurate. First Capcom peremptory ruled out to be acquired by Microsoft. Secondly in Japan big acquisition are running with different processes. It's not like in the west. Acquisitions in Japan are are organised & coordinated. They are controlled and need to be approved by the Japanese government & JFTC.
i didn't even mentioned Microsoft, but Capcom is one of the best publishers in the market, Sony would for sure make a bid on them

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Capcom should not sell, neither should Square, neither should Sega

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Capcom should not sell, neither should Square, neither should Sega
Disagree. Square Enix is on a lost track. They never know what they want to do. They have have like for more than a decade an identity crisis. Therefore I am all for it Sony buying them, if the opportunity is given.

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com
Releasing quality fighting games requires a level of expertise not many have. How many new fighting game studios or IPs have been created lately?

Hell let's see how project L turns out
You are right. Not many have been created nor have many survived and made it through to be successful. It's only the same few games since the 90s, etc.

Reactions: Systemshock2023