With success of Helldivers Sony can't let Arrowhead remain independent |UP| Rumor of acquisition is unsubstantiated as per Arrowhead. 10 mil sales?

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
and that's how Sony should ALWAYS do, work with a studio, grow them, see if they fit, and then acquire them, not go the desperate route of acquiring publishers just as an overeaction to their competitor, we've seen the shit show that's happening with them rn and i honestly don't want the same to happen to PlayStation EVER.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I never understood why they don't do it while they have special access and insight about the game (I guess they do it sometime like it was with Heaven and Firewalk).

Sony knew about Bloodborne and likely had people see and play it and still decided to not buy From Software for peanuts when they were sold (that was also after Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were break out successes). Same with Atlus back in the day and Persona 5 (Persona 4 Golden was also the best Vita game).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko and Diah
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Ballistic Moon, Arrowhead and Shift Up are studios Sony needs to watch, they can't let companies like Tencent or Microsoft gobble them up, and i would argue, they need to work with Emberlab once more and see if they can deliver an AAA project (Kena was amazing for an indie (AA) game, with the right budget and support they can deliver insanely great AAA games, i'm sure of it)

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I never understood why they don't do it while they have special access and insight about the game (I guess they do it sometime like it was with Heaven and Firewalk).

Sony knew about Bloodborne and likely had people see and play it and still decided to not buy From Software for peanuts when they were sold (that was also after Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were break out successes). Same with Atlus back in the day and Persona 5 (Persona 4 Golden was also the best Vita game).
Sony missed MANY opportunities, they could've bought Capcom for less than 1B back in 2015, Atlus, FromSoftware, Ready At Dawn, were all on their hands and they let them go

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Ballistic Moon, Arrowhead and Shift Up are studios Sony needs to watch, they can't let companies like Tencent or Microsoft gobble them up, and i would argue, they need to work with Emberlab once more and see if they can deliver an AAA project (Kena was amazing for an indie (AA) game, with the right budget and support they can deliver insanely great AAA games, i'm sure of it)
All of them would be perfect complements to the studios Sony has now, they need more games that aren't budgeted to need to sell 10m+.

Sony missed MANY opportunities, they could've bought Capcom for less than 1B back in 2015, Atlus, FromSoftware, Ready At Dawn, were all on their hands and they let them go
Ready at Dawn hurts, clearly a great studio that Sony fucked and gave up on just because of a game taking too long to make (that in retrospect didn't even take that long). The Order 1886 with an extra years of development would likely be one of Sony best IPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko and Diah
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
All of them would be perfect complements to the studios Sony has now, they need more games that aren't budgeted to need to sell 10m+.

Ready at Dawn hurts, clearly a great studio that Sony fucked and gave up on just because of a gaming taking too long to make (that in retrospect didn't even take that long). The Order 1886 with an extra years of development would likely be one of Sony best IPs.
Ready At Dawn was an excellent studio, The Order should've been one of the biggest IPs, they could even use it for a TV Show or Movie with PlayStation Productions today

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
i'll add: the only publisher Sony should try to work with more and eventually buy is Square Enix due to the history this publisher has with Sony, but first, Square Enix needs to be completely reformulated to work only on AAA IPs, (i heard it's what they're doing)

Reactions: Diah

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
It would probably be prudent to ensure they don't have to layoff the guys they have before taking on more ppl.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Been saying this forever. They are a great studio on the cousp of greatness once they are able to finally have a permanent safety net and funding. But I suspect Sony won't let them get away.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So far, it's too early to make any proper sales estimate via user reviews.

But regarding Steam CCU all time peak (Helldivers 2 will grow more this weekend, pretty likely will become top 1 specially if they fix the PS specific issues asap):
  1. Helldivers II: 79,295
  2. God of War: 73,529
  3. Spider-Man Remastered: 66,436
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn: 56,557
  5. TLOU Part I: 36,496
  6. Days Gone: 27,450
  7. Spider-Man Miles Morales: 13,539
  8. Uncharted collection: 10,851
  9. Ratchet Rift Apart: 8,757
  10. Detroit: 8,222
  11. Helldivers 1: 6,744
  12. Death Stranding: 6,093
  13. Guns Up!: 2,277
  14. Journey: 1,757
  15. Predator Hunting Grounds: 1,504
  16. Beyond Two Souls: 1,346
  17. Heavy Rain: 747
  18. Sackboy: 610
It's right now top 1 in Steam top sellers:
F0qPDIsWCatx.png

It's being a big hit, and I assume that it's performing even better in PS. I assume that in a few months we'll see Sony announcing they acquired Arrowhead, as did with Housemarque after the Returnal release, and with Bluepoint after Demon's Souls remake release. Or at least they should do it to avoid another Ready At Dawn case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ballistic Moon, Arrowhead and Shift Up are studios Sony needs to watch.
Fuck watching, just buy them now while they are cheaper. The days of working with Insomniac for decades before buying them is over. And no need. They bought Haven, Bungie and Firewalk Studios before working with them exclusively.

Sony needs more studios. New games, reboot old IPs and new Ips. If they dont want to buy big studios or a publisher, then buy some smaller studios before they turn big.
Add Ember Labs, Blue twelve studiio/Annapurna Interactive and Slocap to that list.

Personally I prefer they buy bigger studios. But this is a minimum

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
So far, regarding Steam CCU all time peak (Helldivers 2 will grow more this weekend, pretty likely will become top 1 specially if they fix the PS specific issues asap):
  1. God of War: 73,529
  2. Spider-Man Remastered: 66,436
  3. Helldivers II: 64,183
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn: 56,557
  5. TLOU Part I: 36,496
  6. Days Gone: 27,450
  7. Spider-Man Miles Morales: 13,539
  8. Uncharted collection: 10,851
  9. Detroit: 8,222
  10. Death Stranding: 6,093
It's right now top 1 in Steam top sellers:
BMzIwImUKDJr.png

It's being a big hit, and I assume that it's performing even better in PS. I assume that in a few months we'll see Sony announcing they acquired Arrowhead, as did with Housemarque after the Returnal release, and with Bluepoint after Demon's Souls remake release. Or at least they should do it to avoid another Ready At Dawn case.
The Order 1886 was a profitable game and Sony is still shit for the way they treated that studio after them carrying the PSP in the West