With success of Helldivers Sony can't let Arrowhead remain independent |UP| Rumor of acquisition is unsubstantiated as per Arrowhead. 10 mil sales?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How is it good business to lose fans to PC platform and Steam?
They aren't losing fans with PC, it's the opposite: last month they achieved the all time high monthly users for PS and PS5 became their fastest selling console ever (with around half of sales being from new users). Plus PS5 only sequels of the titles ported to PC are selling the same or better than the previous titles.

And of top of that they'll be making hundreds of millions of dollars every year in PC, where they are making new fans. And most of their PC titles are ports of old games that took them only around a couple years each to be made. So it's highly profitable for them, money that later can use to fund their super expensive AAA titles.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Call me when Apple and Nintendo try to finance and a 300m AAA game. None of them do this and you are ignoring that very key part.
Your point being? Not all PS Studios games cost 300M.

Both Apple and Nintendo don't take a loss on any hardware or services either. Those are fundamental differences to the PS biz models.
Neither does PlayStation

If Apple ever enters the console biz (very likely imo, iPad revenue has been declining for a while and they need something to supplement that), they won't be taking a bath on console pricing, I fully expect that $1000-1200 premium device, and they will likely be ok with $80 or $90 games if it's on their own originals (which will assuredly be great, this isn't Microsoft). This way they will get to keep things 1P AND make big budget stuff.
Besides the point. PlayStation consoles are profitable, and so are their services.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They aren't losing fans with PC, it's the opposite: last month they achieved the all time high monthly users for PS and PS5 became their fastest selling console ever (with around half of sales being from new users). Plus PS5 only sequels of the titles ported to PC are selling the same or better than the previous titles.
I know 3 people who have bascally left PS and buying the titles on PC instead. and probably not gonna buy a PS6. I might be a 4th.
So when PS sells 1 game on PC, there gonna lose a bunch of sales from 3rd party that they would of made on PSN from people leaving the platform.

And of top of that they'll be making hundreds of millions of dollars every year in PC, where they are making new fans. And most of their PC titles are ports of old games that took them only around a couple years each to be made. So it's highly profitable for them, money that later can use to fund their super expensive AAA titles.

Yes thats what Xbox thought as well

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because you don't consider COST. You're thinking like Phil Spencer did, where his aim was always to keep the hyperfans happy, at the detriment of the business's financials, and he's about to get a public embarrassment on Monday.
And your not considering fans leaving and buying those 3rd party and 1st party games on PC.
Ive spent thousands on PSN, that will soon go to Steam.
Thats a lose.
Your acting like PS was losing money selling only on PS4, they werent

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I know 3 people
Over 123 million users played on PS this December, record month ever in PS history.

3 people means nothing, PS userbase isn't declining: it's growing and achieving gaming history record numbers.

PS, Nintendo, Xbox, Sega, Atari, etc. never had an active console userbase that big in gaming history as Sony is having now. And keeps growing. This is a fact.

And on top of that (so not replacing it), Sony is generating hundreds of millions of dollars with their games outside their console. This is another fact.

Last edited:

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Yes thats what Xbox thought as well
That's actually not what they thought lol.

People forget that Xbox didn't just put its titles day 1 on PC, they also GAVE THEM AWAY FOR ALMOST NOTHING ON GAMEPASS. They trained their fanbase to buy nothing and expect everything to come to gamepass.

Gamepass is far more to blame for where MS is at rn than merely releasing on PC. If anything, releasing on PC has been a saving grace for their finances.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
And your not considering fans leaving and buying those 3rd party and 1st party games on PC.
Ive spent thousands on PSN, that will soon go to Steam.
Thats a lose.
Your acting like PS was losing money selling only on PS4, they werent
They're demonstrably not leaving tho. If so then ps5 sales would have lagged behind ps4.

Buying a good PC that lasts is prohibitively expensive nowadays, the cost to performance is far, far worse than it was during the ps4/xbone era.

The cannibalization is not as big as ppl think here.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's actually not what they thought lol.

People forget that Xbox didn't just put its titles day 1 on PC, they also GAVE THEM AWAY FOR ALMOST NOTHING ON GAMEPASS. They trained their fanbase to buy nothing and expect everything to come to gamepass.

Gamepass is far more to blame for where MS is at rn than merely releasing on PC. If anything, releasing on PC has been a saving grace for their finances.
Before Gamepass they were losing there console base with Xbox One. They lost a huge reason to own a Xbox console compared to 360

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They're demonstrably not leaving tho. If so then ps5 sales would have lagged behind ps4.

Buying a good PC that lasts is prohibitively expensive nowadays, the cost to performance is far, far worse than it was during the ps4/xbone era.

The cannibalization is not as big as ppl think here.
I know people personally who are leaving

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Over 123 million users played on PS this December, record month ever in PS history.

3 people means nothing, PS userbase isn't declining: it's growing and achieving gaming history record numbers.

PS, Nintendo, Xbox, Sega, Atari, etc. never had an active console userbase that big in gaming history as Sony is having now. And keeps growing. This is a fact.

And on top of that (so not replacing it), Sony is generating hundreds of millions of dollars with their games outside their console. This is another fact.
Your talking users played, like how xbox counts users playing instead of buying. Playing what though? One game, COD, Fifa, GTA, Fortnite? That doesnt compare to hardcore fans like myself who spend thousands.

4 people who spent thousands on PSN is more important than 4 people who buy a PS studio game. Where Steam makes the money. You have no way of proving they won’t lose fans, whereas I know they are losing hardcore fans. Ive seen it in my own house lol.
Losing hardcore fans does mean something, if thats how PS wants to play for gaining some PC fans who shit on PS anyway, then lol.

When it sells more than PS2 then its history breaking numbers.. When games sell more than Spiderman 1 then you can say it. Active userbase talk is like talking about how many people have played Starfield.

Like Nintendo and during the PS4 era they were fine making money off there own PS console user base. Spiderman 2 and Demons Souls are the only 2 next gen exclusives on PS5. Im sure they made there money already and dont need those 1million PC sales lol.

Yall acting like PS hasnt been doingg great for decades without the PC install base. Or even now

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Call me when Apple and Nintendo try to finance and a 300m AAA game. None of them do this and you are ignoring that very key part.
Call me when PS hasnt made profit from there own platform on there games. Spiderman 2 and Demons Souls made a profit, they are the only next generation PS5 exclusives. Its not like PS is desperate for PC users money. Its also not worth the leaks we’ve see and pirating that come with PC users

Yes you can make some more money from another platform, but why not start selling games on Switch and Xbox then. You give a reason for people to leave your platform like Xbox gamers went to PC.
Some people are willing to wait for a PC release instead on buying on the PS5 like Im seeing.

We can agree to disagree and time will tell. Both cases can be true.
Im personally seeing it with my own eyes when people leaving for PC. Look at some forums and you’ll see, Ill wait till the PC release. Yes your always get a new generation buying a PS5 for Fornite, COD and Fifa. Thats not gonna out weight the hardcore users who leave or buy elsewhere away from PSN.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 1154

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Your talking users played, like how xbox counts users playing instead of buying.
Active userbase talk is like talking about how many people have played Starfield.

No, I'm proving that you are wrong showing that the userbase of PS is bigger than ever has been. It isn't decreasing; it's growing.
This is only counting the people who played in Deccember, not people who bought the console years ago and forgot about it.
This is the reason of why companies look at MAU: to see how many people are playing it, not the ones who left it years ago.

Playing what though? One game, COD, Fifa, GTA, Fortnite? That doesnt compare to hardcore fans like myself who spend thousands.
Playing PS5 games. Btw on average people buys more games, spend more time playing and spends more money than ever before.

PS4 is also performing better in this metrics than it did in its early years.

When it sells more than PS2 then its history breaking numbers..
Launch aligned is performing better than PS2 in all trackable metrics. Like consoles sold or amount of games sold per console.

When games sell more than Spiderman 1 then you can say it.
Launch aligned, Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok (and not sure if HFW) are selling more than Spider-Man 1. Same goes with 3rd party games like Hogwart Legacy or Elden Ring.

Spiderman 2 and Demons Souls are the only 2 next gen exclusives on PS5.
Totally wrong, inform yourself.

Yall acting like PS hasnt been doingg great for decades without the PC install base. Or even now
Not true. I'm just showing the facts that PS is performing now better than it ever has performed.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Well let's hope Concord and Fairgames turn out something special seeing as those are the companies Sony went and bought

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
No, I'm proving that you are wrong showing that the userbase of PS is bigger than ever has been. It isn't decreasing; it's growing.
This is only counting the people who played in Deccember, not people who bought the console years ago and forgot about it.
This is the reason of why companies look at MAU: to see how many people are playing it, not the ones who left it years ago.

Playing PS5 games. Btw on average people buys more games, spend more time playing and spends more money than ever before.

PS4 is also performing better in this metrics than it did in its early years.

Launch aligned is performing better than PS2 in all trackable metrics. Like consoles sold or amount of games sold per console.

Launch aligned, Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok (and not sure if HFW) are selling more than Spider-Man 1. Same goes with 3rd party games like Hogwart Legacy or Elden Ring.

Totally wrong, inform yourself.

Not true. I'm just showing the facts that PS is performing now better than it ever has performed.
You’re not proving anything, stop trying to be that guy. Because Im not talking userbase. Im pretty sure the kids playing fortnite and Fifa arent spending more than hardcore fans. My brother and friend easily would out spend people who buy 1-2 games a year like the Hogwarts, COD and FIFA fans. And they are gone. They bought every 1st party game. Your PS stats wont show that.

I just dont think its worth it for selling 1-2 million copies on the PC. Especially now that Xbox might be leaving, PC/Valce is a competing platform.

Most real PS fans have no desire to have there games on PC/
Horizon 2 isnt selling better than Horizon 1, just to let you know and it has a bigger install base.

Im not saying its not performing better than ever, Im saying its gonna lose some hardcore fans and that means money will be lost because they spend more than the average consumer. There spending is worth more than PC sales. Why not keep those gamers instead of losing them to PC.

Why not sell games on Nintendo and Xbox? Clearly that means better sales right? Why just release on Steam where games are getting pirated and leaked. PS should go 3rd party because it means more and more sales

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You’re not proving anything, stop trying to be that guy.
You said they are losing people and I proved it wrong showing the fact that in December they had the biggest userbase ever for a console brand in a month.

So they are growing, not decreasing. Like in any console some people may leave, but more people are joining it. They are growing.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Bro we just want Sony to do better and not get too complacent
Yes, and this is compatible with accepting the reality. No need to believe in fantasies.

They are performing better than ever, which doesn't mean to be complacent: they have more games under development than they ever had before and growing all their teams.

They have been also expanding to different shooter genres, MP, GaaS, PC, mobile, partnerships with Asian companies, movies & tv shows, theme park rides, accessorie of all kinds including even VR or a Remote Play controller and also significatively improved their game subs and cloud.

In the last 4 years (Jimbo + Hermen era) they acquired Insomniac, Bungie, Housemarque, Bluepoint, Firesprite, Firewalk, Haven, Evo, Nixxes and more. They have more than 25 games, being around half of them new IP.

Unlike Nintendo, they reinvest most of the revenue itself in new projects of the company like the ones mentioned above, instead of keeping them as profits in the bank.

How are they supposed to be complacent?

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You said they are losing people and I proved it wrong showing the fact that in December they had the biggest userbase ever for a console brand in a month.

So they are growing, not decreasing. Like in any console some people may leave, but more people are joining it. They are growing.

You grow each year but that doesnt change the fact they are losing hardcore fans too. Ive seen it with my eyes, my own friends and brother lol. I cant ignore that no matter what stats are shown. Sure theres gonna be new buyers every year, kids 1st PS etc.

But they are giving a choice to people to go PC. You want to play God of War, Spiderman, the only place should be PS.

But they are still losing people. Hardcore fans, and if you check out forums you'll see plenty of comments saying, Ill wait till it comes on PC. Something no PS fan would say in the last 3 decades

And again if its all about sales, why not release games on Switch 2 and Xbox. Surely that would be way?

Last edited:

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
This complecancy worry is most definitely a Microsoft FUD campaign resulting with inception of this ridiculous notion. It's not day and date, it's not going to be day and date, any PC release after some period is extra money made in addition to console sales continuing in slowing fashion.