With success of Helldivers Sony can't let Arrowhead remain independent |UP| Rumor of acquisition is unsubstantiated as per Arrowhead. 10 mil sales?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Days Gone didnt have a good critical reception either. I think ready at dawn was a more talented studio, they should of kept them
Yes but Days Gone sold millions and Sony was never gonna look away from it. The critics bashed the game for dumb reasons the minute it debuted it had a weird hate train. But gamers voiced their opinions and supported the game. And Sony kept the pushing the IP in the face of all the negative critics.

Unfortunately critics and gamers aliked destroyed the The Order 1886 brand. It was tainted. I still think Sony should have given them another chance tho.

Bend is super talented as well. Days Gone remains one of the most impressive open world games to this day.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes but Days Gone sold millions and Sony was never gonna look away from it. The critics bashed the game for dumb reasons the minute it debuted it had a weird hate train. But gamers voiced their opinions and supported the game. And Sony kept the pushing the IP in the face of all the negative critics.

Unfortunately critics and gamers aliked destroyed the The Order 1886 brand. It was tainted. I still think Sony should have given them another chance tho.

Bend is super talented as well. Days Gone remains one of the most impressive open world games to this day.

It was supposedly full of bugs etc. Driveclub also deserved better its just there online situation was a mess.

Yeah Ready at dawn did some great stuff before and showed there ability with the Order. It was just too heavily focued on QTE’s etc. Otherwise it was awesome.

Days Gone, I just couldnt get into it, it was the only PS studio game I couldnt be bothered with in the last 15 years or so. I played it after GOT and TLOU2 (PS5) and the combat, especially the melee just was nowhere near the other studios. I didnt give the rest of the game a chance. I might do in the future.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
IPs without the creators that made them are worthless. See Star Wars, Halo, etc…. That’s the Microsoft and Disney business plan and you want proof? Look at the soulless garbage they both shit out.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
The irony is this cunt talking about lying

Seriously, Why are these whiny little bitches so triggered over the Arrowhead acquisition rumor? With such a heavy partnership for such a long time already established, it's really only a matter of time for Arrowhead.

It will happen either way.

Reactions: ghostdog

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The lead saying its fake means nothing tbh

Bluepoint were acquired less than 3 months later...
We all know that. It's gaming and politics. The sane way some random saying it means nothing. The exec holds more weight though.
Acquisitions is one of these things that should remain confidential until it's the time to announce them. First because may affect stock value for no reason or may make some other potential acquirers to affect the negotiations and break the acquisition that may not be finalized.

Second because they may decide to announce it when it's everything ready and consider it's the time. As an example, to announce it just after firing 900 people isn't a good idea. It's better to do it in May when showing the fiscal report of the current quarter explaining that they improved a lot their 1P revenue and sales in PS and PC thanks to it, and that sold a gazillion amount of copies, numbers higher then that would be now.

So in the eyes of the investors the acquisition would be seen as a better idea at that point than doing it now. If they'd acquired them now, which I wouldn't bet on it. I think they may be negotiating now.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Acquisitions is one of these things that should remain confidential until it's the time to announce them. First because may affect stock value for no reason or may make some other potential acquirers to affect the negotiations and break the acquisition that may not be finalized.

Second because they may decide to announce it when it's everything ready and consider it's the time. As an example, to announce it just after firing 900 people isn't a good idea. It's better to do it in May when showing the fiscal report of the current quarter explaining that they improved a lot their 1P revenue and sales in PS and PC thanks to it, and that sold a gazillion amount of copies, numbers higher then that would be now.

So in the eyes of the investors the acquisition would be seen as a better idea at that point than doing it now. If they'd acquired them now, which I wouldn't bet on it. I think they may be negotiating now.
Definitely agree, acquisitions or anything not finalized should be confidential.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Definitely agree, acquisitions or anything not finalized should be confidential.
Yes. In addition to this, it's also important to consider the impact of the news in their stock value.

The impact of doing it so a random Tuesday in a PS blog may be very different than to do it while also explaining with numbers in a fiscal reports that their PC and GaaS strategies are being successful and helping increase their 1P sales and revenue both in console and PC and that they have been great help to achieve it.

Knowing better that context and results, investors would receive better the news instead of thinking "these guys got their profitability impacted by costs of acquisitions and instead of addresing their profitability they are hurting it more with additional acquisitions".

When a company is publicly listed they control via PR very strictly all the stuff they say and the timing.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I'm not sure what "should" means here. Like if a journalist finds out Amazon is in active talks to buy Nintendo, they shouldn't report it because it could affect stock values? I don't think so, and I don't think it's how it works in reality either. The problem here is we have an extremely thin rumor from somebody with no demonstrated reason to know. If somebody recently laid off at Sony in a position to know Arrowhead was an acquisition target leaked it to Jason Schreier, I would find that very credible and would like to know it.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
IPs without the creators that made them are worthless. See Star Wars, Halo, etc…. That’s the Microsoft and Disney business plan and you want proof? Look at the soulless garbage they both shit out.
Can't find any information on who created the IP other than it was trademarked by Sony in 2013

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Makes sense

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Can't find any information on who created the IP other than it was trademarked by Sony in 2013

What? Dude Arrowhead made the game. It’s their art, game design and their blood and sweat that created it. Sony didn’t come up with the concept and find arrowhead to make it. Sony helped fund it and give it a platform.

A bloodborne 2 without From Software or a Helldivers 3 without Arrowhead would effectively be fan fiction tier sequels.

I say this while preferring Santa Monica God of War way way more than the previous saga. In fact, I didn’t care for those at all… and as a Greek I still prefer Balrog’s games. But Santa Monica is sorta an outlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I don't think an acquisition ever leaked before. I do believe HD2 has sold almost 10M though