With Xbox nearly dead, does that put generational transition completely in Playstations hands?

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
With the news that Xbox will stop advertising in Europe and possibly giving up completely on the territory, the end of Xbox hardware could certainly be in sight.

Does this mean that Sony are free to completely control when a generation begins and ends?

Can they extend the PS5 lifespan to 9 or 10 years to reach a certain sales target?

Can they blur the lines now and say that anything after PS5 is just one generation?

How do you see this proceeding?

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
With the news that Xbox will stop advertising in Europe and possibly giving up completely on the territory, the end of Xbox hardware could certainly be in sight.

Does this mean that Sony are free to completely control when a generation begins and ends?

Can they extend the PS5 lifespan to 9 or 10 years to reach a certain sales target?

Can they blur the lines now and say that anything after PS5 is just one generation?

As long as they divert from those live-action game rubbosh and return to focusing on the single-player experiences, they should be more than ok.

Reactions: arvfab

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
I think they will stick to the usual 7 to 8 years generations which is how its been since the Ps3 gen. I dont think they will make it last 10 or 11 years long. By that point sales would probably be really slow and Ps5 would be feeling "ancient" performance wise.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Ask Nintendo circa 1989 how that works out for you. Or, indeed, Sony circa 2004.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023

At certain points, the market will still call for new hardware. The switch is finally starting to hit the point so 10 years is really a stretch. Also i would presume that PS and even Nintendo to some degree would prefer to have their launches seperated by a few years as they are now

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
With PC support the concept of generations is gone. I can't wait to see PS6/PC games that skip PS5 but run on budget PCs that are weaker than a PS5.

Xbox was never the real competitor, they were a major annoyance trying to tank the market and now they are just another third party publisher like Ubisoft or EA.

They'll likely still be able to coast until the end of the generation due to GTA6, Swich 2 likely being less powerful than it should be, but PS5 was going to do well anyway. If it ever becomes too obvious that PlayStation is losing momentum that would be it for Sony, they are betting everything that people will not move to PC regardless of how much more attractive they help make it.

PlayStation followed up a very similar path to Xbox they just happened to be like 5 years behind on their attempt of making their own console irrelevant.

Ask Nintendo circa 1989 how that works out for you. Or, indeed, Sony circa 2004.
There are plenty of candidates to disrupting Sony business in the near future, NVidia, Valve, Nintendo, MS (with another angle other than Xbox), Epic, Meta, etc.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
With PC support the concept of generations is gone. I can't wait to see PS6/PC games that skip PS5 but run on budget PCs that are weaker than a PS5.
That's already happened, Rift Apart and TLOU1 Remake run on the Steam Deck but aren't on PS4. Returnal can run on the Rog Ally/Legion Go but not Steam Deck. And not to mention Lego Horizon is on the Switch.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

Xbox custom hardware is probably not happening ever again.
At best, we're looking at standard PC component configurations to which Microsoft says "this is xbox" and releases some custom launcher and pre-configured settings in games for it. And that's fine by me, honestly.

But a much harder question is whether there will even be Xbox brand or even any games studio under Microsoft by the time we get to the next generation.
How much longer can Phil Spencer and Matt Booty spread their incompetence at running all these studios into the ground, before Microsoft's stock holders just tell them to fuck off and sell/close everything?
We know Xbox's executives (Phil Spencer, Matt Booty and Sarah Bond) aren't running the Xbox show anymore. Anything they say and promise in public gets discredited in a matter of weeks or months. Matt Booty was publicly congratulating Tango weeks before they were closed. Sarah Bonf said 2 months ago that CoD would be available day-1 to all Gamepass subscribers and now they're tiered.

The natural conclusion is they have no agency over nothing at this point, other than PR appearances. So we can't trust a single word coming their mouths. They could be promising on their mothers' life that no studio will be closed this year and tomorrow they would be closing another 5 studios.

No console maker ever controlled that unilaterally. What determines when they start developing the next console is when sales for the current console start going down.

• brain

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Always has been. I think if xbox series released in 2020 and PlayStation delayed their release to 2021 nothing would have fundamentally changed.

Not sure about that. I think the XSX/S wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it has this generation if it hadn't been for the pandemic and the lack of PS5s available.

Having no PS5 at all during the pandemic would have created a renaissance for Xbox.

• brain
OP
OP
Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Not sure about that. I think the XSX/S wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it has this generation if it hadn't been for the pandemic and the lack of PS5s available.

Having no PS5 at all during the pandemic would have created a renaissance for Xbox.

True, the dynamics were very unique this generation.

The pandemic and Xbox having the heater alternative to sell when everything else was unavailable was a boon for the first two years but now is hurting them and limiting their path forward....

They can't possibly release more skus and demand support from developers when developers are already skipping Xbox at present.

Shows how complicated the market can be, even with so few competitors.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

But there was absolutely zero hype for Xbox at the end of PS4 gen. The only reason people got an XSX was due to FOMO created by the PS5 launch and lack of supply. The Xbox had zero launch games, nothing would have fundamentally changed.

Reactions: Diah

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I don’t see why people believe the absence of competition is a good thing for PlayStation. They will without a doubt become worse.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Next generation Xbox console(s) will launch in Fall 2026 while PlayStation 6 will launch in Fall 2028. Microsoft is releasing two years earlier and going in their own direction ala Nintendo but nothing is really going to change for Sony's PlayStation 6.