With Xbox nearly dead, does that put generational transition completely in Playstations hands?

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Next generation Xbox console(s) will launch in Fall 2026 while PlayStation 6 will launch in Fall 2028. Microsoft is releasing two years earlier and going in their own direction ala Nintendo but nothing is really going to change for Sony's PlayStation 6.
I still think it would be smart for Sony to extend the PS5 generation & introduce a “PS5 GO” essentially a native PS5 handheld that competes w Switch 2 & Xbox handheld & adds sell numbers for PS5.

Xbox is gonna release a handheld hybrid that can play Xbox console games aswell as Steam/Epic & if it’s true Xbox will be the only handheld in 2026 to play GTA 6 “on the go” so Sony/PS releasing a “PS5 GO” in 2025 or 2026 would be smart to curve stomp Xbox. This will allow PS to extend the PS5 life span due to covid delaying first party games & allow PS to bolster, invest & buy studios to ensure PS6 generation 1st party output isn’t anything near bad as PS5 generation. PS6 should start in 2028/2030 somewhere near that.

PS can release a “PS5 GO” a native PS5 handheld that uses the same model as the Portal for $450 & feature the same screen size & then have a “PS5 GO mini” with a significant smaller screen size make the screen size similar to iPhone significantly smaller targeting the Japanese/Asia market & sell it for $350 while having $100 off both standard PS5 model so PS5 disc less is priced at $300 while the PS5 w a disc drive is $400

I don’t see PS5 gamers migrating to PS6 in 2027 with how bad PS4 gamers are taking long to migrate to PS5 & that’s mainly due to the lack of PS5 exclusive games aswell as PS games going to PC so those PS4 gamers are migrating to PC instead or just staying on PS4. Imagine trying sell PS6 knowing Switch 2 & Steamdeck 2 will be out in the wild how do you sell PS gamers, PC gamers & casuals to migrate or convert when they keep porting games to PC.

Reactions: Diah

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I still think it would be smart for Sony to extend the PS5 generation & introduce a “PS5 GO” essentially a native PS5 handheld that competes w Switch 2 & Xbox handheld & adds sell numbers for PS5.

Xbox is gonna release a handheld hybrid that can play Xbox console games aswell as Steam/Epic & if it’s true Xbox will be the only handheld in 2026 to play GTA 6 “on the go” so Sony/PS releasing a “PS5 GO” in 2025 or 2026 would be smart to curve stomp Xbox. This will allow PS to extend the PS5 life span due to covid delaying first party games & allow PS to bolster, invest & buy studios to ensure PS6 generation 1st party output isn’t anything near bad as PS5 generation. PS6 should start in 2028/2030 somewhere near that.

PS can release a “PS5 GO” a native PS5 handheld that uses the same model as the Portal for $450 & feature the same screen size & then have a “PS5 GO mini” with a significant smaller screen size make the screen size similar to iPhone significantly smaller targeting the Japanese/Asia market & sell it for $350 while having $100 off both standard PS5 model so PS5 disc less is priced at $300 while the PS5 w a disc drive is $400

I don’t see PS5 gamers migrating to PS6 in 2027 with how bad PS4 gamers are taking long to migrate to PS5 & that’s mainly due to the lack of PS5 exclusive games aswell as PS games going to PC so those PS4 gamers are migrating to PC instead or just staying on PS4. Imagine trying sell PS6 knowing Switch 2 & Steamdeck 2 will be out in the wild how do you sell PS gamers, PC gamers & casuals to migrate or convert when they keep porting games to PC.

Sony releasing PlayStation 6 eight years after PlayStation 5 is long enough. The tech is already becoming outdated when compared to PC and you can't go longer than eight years especially if your main competitor has tech that's closer to PC than your own. PS5 Pro will be a decent graphical stopgap but that's pretty much it. New hardware will be necessary by Fall 2028 in my opinion.

As for the handheld aspect, PlayStation Portal is a good enough stopgap for the next four years while they work on a handheld to go along side PlayStation 6. But it needs to allow you to download the PlayStation 6 games and play them natively but at a lower resolution/spec.

I wouldn't bother with a PlayStation 5 native handheld because first, they have the Portal which just released eight months ago and second, they would simply be better off going with a handheld to go along side PlayStation 6 and just be backwards compatible which would solve the native aspect.

Consumers not upgrading from PS4 to PS5 has more to do with the majority of games that people play (Fortnite, COD, sports games, GTA 5, etc.) still being cross gen so no reason to upgrade, the console and games being more expensive than last generation and worldwide economy not exactly being great to where people aren't willing to spend the money especially when you have so many other options that are far cheaper.

We'll see what Sony does but as of right now, they're doing great and will be just fine.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
With the news that Xbox will stop advertising in Europe and possibly giving up completely on the territory, the end of Xbox hardware could certainly be in sight.

Does this mean that Sony are free to completely control when a generation begins and ends?
Yes, as usual. Being a clear market leader always gave them freedom to do what they wanted, and were the main reference to decide when a new generation started.

Regarding the end of a generation the line is more blurry, because for some people is when the successor is released. For other ones is when the console gets discontinued, much later. For other ones is when the console stops getting games, which is even later.

Can they extend the PS5 lifespan to 9 or 10 years to reach a certain sales target?
I think the distance between PS6 and PS5 release pretty likely will be the same as it was between PS5 and PS4, or between PS4 and PS3: 7 years. Maybe this time 8 due to games taking longer than usual, because the production was almost stopped due to the covid lockdowns, component shortages, etc.

PS home consoles always got discontinued over 10 years, maybe more than 11 or 12 years after launch. Nowdays, thanks to the GaaS titles getting content across multiple generations, game subs providing new content every month, crossgen being more common and BC being something people takes for granted I think it's easier to see PS5 lasting even a bit more than usual.

Can they blur the lines now and say that anything after PS5 is just one generation?
No, generations will always be there because the related marketing pushes are needed, and always there will be newer tech providing better and different experiences, big enough to justify to need a new machine.

As of now, PS5 would be greatly benefited of hardware pushing way beyond RT to achieve real and complete RTGI or 'AI' (machine learning) stuff for various topics, and even faster SSDs. I also think that latency reduction will be very important for VR, cloud gaming, remote play or compensate input lag added by AI stuff processing like frame generation.

How do you see this proceeding?

I think they won't give a fuck about upcoming MS and Nintendo steps because won't affect them, and they'll follow their path with PS and also growing their ecosystem beyond it to mobile and PC, plus also growing their IPs in other non-gaming areas beyond movies and tv shows: toys, novels, music, books, comics, board games, theme parks, merchandising, clothing, etc.

I think late 2027/early 2028 they'll release PS6. Maybe a year later or two the PSP6, a next gen PS Player successor that also will run natively PC PSN games (which will include basically all their PS5, PS6 games and the main PS4 titles with a ton of 3rd party support and pretty likely integrated with crossbuy and cross-save with the console PSN.

I also think around a couple years after the PS6 release they'll release PSVR3, this time lighter and standalone and with full BC PSVR2 support plus maybe also PSVR1 BC.

I also think that with the start of that generation we'll also see the start of a big mobile push, pretty likely debuting their mobile store also around the PS6 release. Featuring PS cloud gaming also in mobile, browsers or smart tvs, not only of the whole PS+ Extra and Premium catalog but also (if you pay PS+ Premium) any game you bought.

I think that gen we'll start seeing some of the Sony GaaS IPs evolved into F2P games, being released on console + mobile + PC mostly trying to target Asia (think MiHoyo).

I think will be a generation of growing PS in all directions: in console, in their dev teams (more acquisitions coming), in PC (becoming the top 1 publisher and starting to confront Steam as the leading PC gaming store), in mobile (becoming a top 10 publisher in mobile), in the game sub (including gaming content for PC and mobile, plus non-gaming content), in movies/tv shows/etc.

I also think that generation VR, cloud gaming and PC handhelds still won't be the norm or mainstream, but will start becoming important and I think Sony will lead all these markets, in addition to also leading the console, PC and game subs markets. I think mobile will be the only gaming market they won't lead that generation. I think they'll need a generation or two more to also lead mobile.

I also think this generation will be the first one where Sony, MS, Valve, Epic, Apple and Google (plus maybe Amazon and Tencent) will directly compete as multiplatform ecosystem storefronts.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I do think they can probably start the next generation whenever they want at this point.

Conventionally wisdom would push for 2028, but they could elect to stretch it til 2030 if they want.

The PS5 is still so expensive, it has quite a bit of a runway, especially with the PS5 Pro and an eventual handheld.

I think the industry is more interested in a cheap PS5 than a PS6.

2 Jun 2024
xbox is practically dead fans need to stop trying to be delusional about it once they went to fire stick and dropped all mentions of the console name from gamepass it's now just software they care about who knows if their be next gen Xbox it's most certainly more dire for them if they're stopping their consoles being produced while Sony still has PS5s in Europe hellblade 2 done nothing for them they just raised the price for gamepass and made both cloud and day one locked behind ultimate

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and 2spooky5me
2 Jun 2024
xbox is practically dead fans need to stop trying to be delusional about it once they went to fire stick and dropped all mentions of the console name from gamepass it's now just software they care about who knows if their be next gen Xbox it's most certainly more dire for them if they're stopping their consoles being produced while Sony still has PS5s in Europe hellblade 2 done nothing for them they just raised the price for gamepass and made both cloud and day one locked behind ultimate
what's next them adding apple TV and Roku to have gamepass apps for their next gen version don't know if Sony will attempt it again when they did with the PlayStation TV and ps now

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I don’t see why people believe the absence of competition is a good thing for PlayStation. They will without a doubt become worse.

"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does" - Kaz Hirai 2006

Aaaah, the good old "we need good guys MS to protect us from arrogant Sony" bullshit.
Even including a quote from the PS3 days, a whole 18 years ago by a guy who's long retired.

Remember the old days of Arrogant Sony, when they wouldn't dream of charging people for online multiplayer, until "the good guys" paved the way?

Don't worry, Sony has and always will have competition, and unlike MS they don't have a monopoly to rely on while normalizing anti-consumer practices in the market.

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
With the news that Xbox will stop advertising in Europe and possibly giving up completely on the territory, the end of Xbox hardware could certainly be in sight.

Does this mean that Sony are free to completely control when a generation begins and ends?

Can they extend the PS5 lifespan to 9 or 10 years to reach a certain sales target?

Can they blur the lines now and say that anything after PS5 is just one generation?

How do you see this proceeding?

1) Sony unofficially controls when the next console generation begins and ends. By simply slapping a number at the end of PlayStation, people expect next-gen to begin when the higher number is announced. They're not 'free' in the sense that they will (assumedly) still rely on AMD and a bunch of other companies to determine what tech is feasible for the PS6. I mean, they could always go crazy and do an ultra custom Cell-like architecture. But that's incredibly unlikely.

2) They can extend the PS5's lifespan for maybe an extra year this time due to the Xbox's collapse as a viable platform for third-party software and accessories. But at some point, it becomes more expensive to stick with the old than it is to move to the new. A lot of their partners (e.g., AMD) would need a fatter check to keep making an older Zen architecture that doesn't fit their business needs and business identity (i.e., bleeding edge performance.)

3) They can blur the generation lines if they go full cloud everything. For example, no one asks what generation YouTube is right? But if they keep making consoles, the expectation is still generational. It's not going to be easy to sell the successor to the PS5 as just 'The PlayStation.' There's a real expectation of sequentially better performance, so if their next thing isn't numbered, then what's the point of it? Numbering products can get tricky when you get really high (e.g., Final Fantasy 16), but it's a much better solution than eliminating the number or going with the mentally unbalanced Xbox approach of changing the console name everytime.

How I see this stuff proceeding is:

- EU becomes completely lost for Xbox. No chance of recovery for their console business in any of the 45+ countries.

- Some major third-party games skip Xbox entirely. This will be the moment when it really clicks -- with the slower ones -- just how bad Xbox has been doing as a platform globally.

- Xbox announces more games for PlayStation, further cementing their transition to a publisher.

- Jez Corden cries and lies some more, further cementing his transition to a village idiot.

- PlayStation probably hits the reverse on some of their business plans. If they were planning on doing more acquisitions, it won't make a lot of sense in 2-3 years if they're the only healthy console platform. A developer/publisher would have no choice but to put their game on PlayStation because Xbox is (currently) tracking on a path towards complete platform irrelevancy.

- The Xbox handheld gets announced, gets hyped as the second coming of Christ by the Xbox Shill Network (IGN, Kinda Funny, Eurogamer, GiantBomb.) Maybe it does 'well', but the definition of 'doing well' will be exceeding Steam Deck sales and not Switch sales. We know Switch sales figures but still don't know Steam Deck numbers. That should tell you how 'well' the Steam Deck has actually sold.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Sony still has several cards up its sleeve to extend this gen.

The release of GTA VI.
The PS5 Pro.
The price cut for the Slim model.
Yes, but if the key drivers of sales growth are the release of GTA and a more expensive version of the console, then this is a sign of big problems...

XONE was also "saved" by the release of XONEX, the GTA 5 edition, and the release of RDR2...

This also increased PS4 sales, but there was no question of torrent ports at the time, and in general, PS4 received much better quality exclusive games and games from partners.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
The tech is already becoming outdated when compared to PC and you can't go longer than eight years especially if your main competitor has tech that's closer to PC than your own.
Hardware power doesn’t matter in the long run. Again, it all comes to exclusive games true permanent exclusive games. Nintendo Switch beating PS2 & will do 150+ million console sells with hardly any 3rd party support + weaker hardware why? Nintendo releases the most first party exclusive games true permanent exclusive games then any other competitor.

There’s no reason for PS to chase PC when there’s no GPU/CPU for PC upgrading performance every 2 years. The difference between console & pc is console having exclusive. Xbox doesn’t have exclusive games so Xbox gamers & other gamers who would buy an xbox just migrated to PC same thing will happen between the migration of PS5 & PS6 since PS port there exclusive games to PC. Nintendo will always sell 150+ million console because they have true permanent exclusive games as long as they don’t make there hardware naming/advertising complicated like WiiU

If you want power go to PC but if you like console you like console because the ease & the exclusive games. This is why I say what PS is doing w PC port is dumb & short sighted Nintendo console power wise w be further blurred between Xbox & PS console. Nintendo console maybe not Switch 2 but Switch 3 will be able to play all 3rd party games day 1 the only thing that make PS, Nintendo & PC different & sole reason to buy each hardware/platform are the exclusive games they have. If PS continues to do PC port you might aswell migrate to PC/Steamdeck & make that your PS console since PS consoles no longer has exclusive games + the benefits of PC & the exclusive PC games that don’t go to PS & buy the Nintendo Switch console for exclusive + 3rd party. Unless you have fomo for PS games day 1

Reactions: Diah

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
PS5 tech is far from outdated lol. The machine hasn't even even properly pushed as yet. That's a huge part of the issue this generation, the consoles aren't being flexed since last generation is only ending this year.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
1) Sony unofficially controls when the next console generation begins and ends. By simply slapping a number at the end of PlayStation, people expect next-gen to begin when the higher number is announced. They're not 'free' in the sense that they will (assumedly) still rely on AMD and a bunch of other companies to determine what tech is feasible for the PS6. I mean, they could always go crazy and do an ultra custom Cell-like architecture. But that's incredibly unlikely.

2) They can extend the PS5's lifespan for maybe an extra year this time due to the Xbox's collapse as a viable platform for third-party software and accessories. But at some point, it becomes more expensive to stick with the old than it is to move to the new. A lot of their partners (e.g., AMD) would need a fatter check to keep making an older Zen architecture that doesn't fit their business needs and business identity (i.e., bleeding edge performance.)

Sony is AMD's client, they're going to make chips for the PS5 as long as Sony wants and they aren't going to drastically increase the price just because the generation is long in the tooth. There will be contractual obligations about how much they can jack up the price anyways and AMD is already signed on for PS6, so they know not to bite the hand that feeds it.

I could see them delaying for a couple years to recover from the pandemic. The last years of the PS5 will be Sony's highest margin years. The longer they extend the PS5 the more profitable it will be, especially in the face of no competition.

3) They can blur the generation lines if they go full cloud everything. For example, no one asks what generation YouTube is right? But if they keep making consoles, the expectation is still generational. It's not going to be easy to sell the successor to the PS5 as just 'The PlayStation.' There's a real expectation of sequentially better performance, so if their next thing isn't numbered, then what's the point of it? Numbering products can get tricky when you get really high (e.g., Final Fantasy 16), but it's a much better solution than eliminating the number or going with the mentally unbalanced Xbox approach of changing the console name everytime.

They aren't going cloud based.

How I see this stuff proceeding is:

- EU becomes completely lost for Xbox. No chance of recovery for their console business in any of the 45+ countries.

Yeah, pretty much.

- Some major third-party games skip Xbox entirely. This will be the moment when it really clicks -- with the slower ones -- just how bad Xbox has been doing as a platform globally.

With many games taking 4-5 years to develop, I doubt too many big AAA games will skip the Xbox at this point. Most games (at least the ones that won't immediately be cross gen) are already in development for this generation. Of course Xbox versions can be cancelled, but I think Xbox would have to be really toxic as a marketplace for that to happen, to the point that it would likely be discontinued.

- Xbox announces more games for PlayStation, further cementing their transition to a publisher.

Definitely.

- Jez Corden cries and lies some more, further cementing his transition to a village idiot.

He is going to pivot.

- PlayStation probably hits the reverse on some of their business plans. If they were planning on doing more acquisitions, it won't make a lot of sense in 2-3 years if they're the only healthy console platform. A developer/publisher would have no choice but to put their game on PlayStation because Xbox is (currently) tracking on a path towards complete platform irrelevancy.

I doubt this. Any acquisitions Sony makes at this point will be about bolstering not only their console plans, but their PC and Mobile plans as well. They've been in this mode for the last few years.

- The Xbox handheld gets announced, gets hyped as the second coming of Christ by the Xbox Shill Network (IGN, Kinda Funny, Eurogamer, GiantBomb.) Maybe it does 'well', but the definition of 'doing well' will be exceeding Steam Deck sales and not Switch sales. We know Switch sales figures but still don't know Steam Deck numbers. That should tell you how 'well' the Steam Deck has actually sold.

If it is PC based, I don't see it doing so hot.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Hardware power doesn’t matter in the long run. Again, it all comes to exclusive games true permanent exclusive games. Nintendo Switch beating PS2 & will do 150+ million console sells with hardly any 3rd party support + weaker hardware why? Nintendo releases the most first party exclusive games true permanent exclusive games then any other competitor.

There’s no reason for PS to chase PC when there’s no GPU/CPU for PC upgrading performance every 2 years. The difference between console & pc is console having exclusive. Xbox doesn’t have exclusive games so Xbox gamers & other gamers who would buy an xbox just migrated to PC same thing will happen between the migration of PS5 & PS6 since PS port there exclusive games to PC. Nintendo will always sell 150+ million console because they have true permanent exclusive games as long as they don’t make there hardware naming/advertising complicated like WiiU

If you want power go to PC but if you like console you like console because the ease & the exclusive games. This is why I say what PS is doing w PC port is dumb & short sighted Nintendo console power wise w be further blurred between Xbox & PS console. Nintendo console maybe not Switch 2 but Switch 3 will be able to play all 3rd party games day 1 the only thing that make PS, Nintendo & PC different & sole reason to buy each hardware/platform are the exclusive games they have. If PS continues to do PC port you might aswell migrate to PC/Steamdeck & make that your PS console since PS consoles no longer has exclusive games + the benefits of PC & the exclusive PC games that don’t go to PS & buy the Nintendo Switch console for exclusive + 3rd party. Unless you have fomo for PS games day 1

For Sony (and Microsoft) the hardware power and specs DO matter because the third party publishers want those specs to push the visuals as far as they can because for marketing and advertising, that's the easiest and cheapest aspect to sell to consumers. Having true exclusive games only matters to and for Nintendo as they're the only hardware manufacturer that can, has and will survive with no third party support. If Sony/Microsoft had nothing but their published games, they both would be dead overnight because when you look at both of them, all the best selling and most played games month in and month out are the third party games, mainly free to play, sports games, Minecraft and Call of Duty.

You (like many here) put too much emphasis on "true exclusivity" when in reality, the vast majority simply don't care about that. When you have a 50m user install base and Stellar Blade sells less than 2m thus far, that tells me 48m don't care. When a Spider Man hits 30m life time out of a user install base of 120m give or take, that tells me 90m (75%) don't care. As for Nintendo Switch, as impressive as it's been, people are forgetting about one major detail - The Nintendo Wii sold over 100m units while Nintendo DS sold over 150m units while 3DS sold over 75m units. In that life span of all three units was a combined 325m+ units sold. As impressive as Switch is, they lost sales because instead of getting their user base to double/triple dip, they just bought one console now which is hybrid. And even if they bought the handheld only Switch, it's included in the total sales numbers which is around 140m units. So if anything, they lost out on 185m units being sold.

So while Nintendo has dominated with Switch and should continue that with Switch 2, it's not without a cost which is selling more units to the same consumer base. Sony trying to get more people into PlayStation isn't happening like majority want to believe. They will sell around 120m units life time. That's NOT growing at all. It's retaining what you had. Nothing more and nothing less. Xbox will sell it's 50m+ units which is basically the same as Xbox One which is the same result - no growth. Just retention.

Exclusives as great as they are and I love them but it's not the 1990's or even 2000's anymore. It just isn't. Exclusives isn't what grows the platforms because look at Sony and Microsoft. The best games are rarely if ever their own. It's always the games I mentioned earlier and it's more times than not, the online co-op/multi-player live service games where people will pick a few of them and simply stay with them. Also, growing your owned IP's will forever be more important than any console hardware because all hardware has an expiration date. The IP's don't unless the owner for whatever reason doesn't renew it which is rare.

What Sony is doing with porting their games to PC isn't stupid at all because they want more revenue, more profits and to increase the growth of the IP's, that's what and everyone else has to do and for the most part, have already been doing. Tsushima was the best selling game in NA despite being four years old because there is a huge fan base that will buy and play Sony's games but they're not going to buy a PlayStation to do so because if you're a PC gamer, especially hardcore, going to console is basically demeaning, degrading and lowering yourself. You have literally the best at your fingertips, way better sales, prices and deals, no online paywall, mods, emulation and all this other shit that no console is currently or most likely will ever give you.

If anything, Sony should put their games on PC day one because that's when you'll gain the most revenue and profit while growing the IP as the release is when it's at it's peak especially if you're a single player one and done game. Not only that but from a development, marketing, advertising perspective, it makes the most sense because why do all this shit twice when you could do once? Also, games are already developed and programmed on high end power PC's to begin with, they all have the same x86 tech, the dev kits are basically for optimization and to make sure the game doesn't brick the console.

As for Nintendo, huge differences between them and Microsoft/Sony. First and foremost, the nostalgia for Nintendo and their IP's is above and beyond anything Sony or Microsoft has. It's not even close. Second, Nintendo is literally the Apple of console gaming and by that I mean, they never ever devalue their shit no matter what. They rarely if ever give you any sales whatsoever. They rarely if ever drop the price of their hardware. Switch is still $300 seven years later. Their IP's sell tens of millions of copies, even rematsers like Mario Kart go on to crush records. Sony's games barely hit 5m unless they're the top tier and the problem there is that while they have several of them, they're not as many as Nintendo and they take much longer to develop and release.

Microsoft barely sells anything so they don't really matter whatsoever in this conversation. Back to Nintendo, the other major difference is that their tech isn't at the level of Sony or Microsoft and thus, their budgets aren't overflated like Sony and Microsoft which saves them a lot of fucking money and makes them more profits.

Sony is a tech company. It's what they do. They push their tech and their visuals and all that stuff. The problem is that it costs a shit ton of money and the return just isn't there like it was even a generation ago and when you look over their deal with Marvel, I understand why most publishers don't want to do licensed games because that shit costs way too much money and return is even less. Nintendo will always be at least a generation if not two behind Microsoft and Sony because it's not what they do and unlike the other two, don't need third party support to survive, succeed and still make money.

As for the exclusivity argument, it's becoming less and less important because again, when you look at the top selling and top played games, outside of Nintendo, it's rarely an exclusive game. You'll see a top tier game like Spider Man 2 or something like that be #1 for the month it releases, then it declines to where outside of a cheap sale, you won't see it again because it's a game that's not meant to be continusouly played. The games going to PC doesn't change or affect anything. Sony will still sell it's 120m consoles give or take. The games on PC are for those who are on PC already and have no interest in buying a console. And in some rare instances, you may even get people to double dip which is a positive if you're Sony/Microsoft.

Consoles are becoming obsolete and yes, they are. Only Nintendo will truly be the sole survivor while Sony and Microsoft eventually go streaming only which is once the tech is there the best way because they can reach EVERYONE and they don't need to spend hundreds on a console which let's be honest, those who do like majority here or on other forums are already console owners and have been for generations. People who are younger don't give a shit about consoles because it's not how they play or how their friends play. It's literally that simple. Reason why Nintendo will be the one that stays the way they are the longest is because they don't chase tech, they don't spend the money, their IP's are highly valued and rarely if ever go in that realistic visuals approach which costs a lot of freaking money that Nintendo isn't going to spend. They also have the best and longest history, the most loyal fan base and they have the highest level of nostaglia.

I went on a rant/tirade five months ago because of Microsoft's decision and just like I reached a point with Sony, Ubisoft, EA, Capcom, etc. to where I don't care about them and whatever they do, they do, Microsoft is now lumped in along with them all. They can all die tomorrow or live forever. I don't care which. All I care about is playing the games that are of interest to me and that I hope they're great or better for me personally. That's literally all I care about when it comes to gaming. :)

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
Sony is AMD's client, they're going to make chips for the PS5 as long as Sony wants and they aren't going to drastically increase the price just because the generation is long in the tooth. There will be contractual obligations about how much they can jack up the price anyways and AMD is already signed on for PS6, so they know not to bite the hand that feeds it.

I could see them delaying for a couple years to recover from the pandemic. The last years of the PS5 will be Sony's highest margin years. The longer they extend the PS5 the more profitable it will be, especially in the face of no competition.
Correct. We're both in agreement that it would be foolish to do bad business with one of your biggest clients. Whatever contract they currently have will have an expiration date. If Sony wants to extend the PS5's life beyond what they've currently agreed upon with AMD, then a new contract will have to be drawn up. AMD could decide that they want 5% more money for the same ingredients because they just can. It would be an incredibly dumb move. But businesses make dumb moves all the time. If AMD's focus as a company is the latest and greatest tech, they can attempt to justify their higher demands as simply the reality of making older parts in a newer world. They know they've got Sony by the balls due to BC, and if they (AMD) are dumb enough, they could try to squeeze them just a bit if Sony decided to extend the PS5 beyond it's current lifespan plan.

They aren't going cloud based.

Yep. Sony aren't quite insane enough to believe a Stadia approach would be a great platform for next-gen. What's more likely to happen is a combination of a traditional console paired with a PS Portal-ish Dual Sense 2. Stranger things have happened, but I suspect their internal math isn't pointing to a cloud platform or a hybrid/Switchy device just yet.

With many games taking 4-5 years to develop, I doubt too many big AAA games will skip the Xbox at this point. Most games (at least the ones that won't immediately be cross gen) are already in development for this generation. Of course Xbox versions can be cancelled, but I think Xbox would have to be really toxic as a marketplace for that to happen, to the point that it would likely be discontinued.

Excellent point about dev time. I don't expect games that are currently announced to skip Xbox. Those contracts have dried ink so it would be too much of a battle to get out of them. But I do believe that as the generation grows older, the combination of the Xbox's abysmal hardware sales + abysmal software sales + Series S development 'noose' are going to give developers and publishers a real business reason to skip Xbox. I 100% expect some major third-party games to be announced without an Xbox version planned. People will scream Sony moneyhats, but the reality will be Xbox is an unhealthy platform and the Series S introduces expensive development challenges that Microsoft aren't willing to cover.

I doubt this. Any acquisitions Sony makes at this point will be about bolstering not only their console plans, but their PC and Mobile plans as well. They've been in this mode for the last few years.

Do I think Sony will make another acquisition? At some point, absolutely. Especially if it is, like you said, for bolstering their PC and Mobile plans. But I think the primary reason they acquired a lot of companies this gen was due to the real threat of Microsoft's spending spree. It only became crystal clear this year that not only were Microsoft's acquisitions not resulting in gains for Xbox, but the cost of acquiring a boatload of studios and locking their content to an unhealthy software market was catastrophic to the respective studios' and their IP. Hypothetically, if Sony were planning on acquiring a company like Remedy, it makes significantly less sense today than it did at this same point last year. Xbox has collapsed, so even if Microsoft aren't done with acquiring companies, whatever they do will require a PlayStation version to exist. It's the greatest self-inflicted wound in the history of gaming; they bought a bunch a studios, tried to make their games exclusive and it failed, now they're stuck with a bunch of studios that need a healthy platform to sell their games... and the platform happens to be their direct competitor.

If it is PC based, I don't see it doing so hot.

Yep. But that won't stop shill factories like IGN and The Verge from hyping it up as the savior of gaming and demanding that PlayStation follow suit.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Reading this page of the thread is like reading a novel.

nobody-got-time-for-that-a-intnobody-got-time-for-that.gif

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
If PlayStation tries to fuck over their customers they will learn real fast that entertainment is a want and not need and there are options out there.

They learned that lesson with the PS3 reveal. Due to the price tag and general attitude from Sony, people just didn't buy it and stuck with their PS2s. Things slowly turned around with the slim, price cuts, and great games but it took time - and Sony lost a lot of money and goodwill which took them quite some time to earn back.

Reactions: Kokoloko and arvfab