WotC And Hasbro Are Investing $1 Billion In Their AAA Game Ecosystem

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast want a bigger piece of the gaming industry's pie, especially after the huge success of Larian Studios' Baldur's Gate 3. To that end, both companies are investing nearly one billion dollars into their shared gaming ecosystem, which includes half a dozen studios. Some of these studios are working on more Dungeons & Dragons games, while others are working on other Hasbro IP--Atomic Arcade is tackling a G.I. Joe Snake Eyes game, for example--and still more are creating brand-new IPs

Given the success of Baldur's Gate 3, is the goal for all of your D&D projects to replicate those systems? Or make games that are as different as possible an experience from Baldur's Gate 3?

We were obviously thrilled at the reception of Baldur's Gate 3. I think that proved a lot of things. People want these kinds of games and they want high quality, and things that are true to the franchise. So we obviously don't exist on an island. When we make a D&D game, we work with the D&D team. We also want to tie into what they're planning for future releases and things like that. So the different types of games and the roadmaps we have are tied in with a larger D&D strategy. So you may see some overlap, but if you do, it's intentional. And that's kind of where I go back to the studios having their creative freedom, but there's still that larger plan. So you're going to be seeing a number of different kinds of D&D experiences coming.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its all going to be mobile right? I want to laugh but might end up breaking even or even turning a profit. GI Joe probably has tons of unmined pay pigs.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Plotting The Simpsons GIF

More investment in games is always good but I hope they are funding the right studios... Larian.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
Wizards of the Coast sees Baldur's Gate 3 be massively successful, so they end their partnership with Larian in order to make bullshit shovelware with the same IP to cash in.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Good luck with that, without Larian odds are they are going to fail miserably.

Larian + BG3 was the perfect storm.