Would it be unforgivable if Sony doesn’t have a showcase this Fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It seems like they have a lot of stuff to announce but looking around the web and other forums it seems like people aren’t too confident about it. It feels like Sony has a lot to talk about though.

After Ubisoft announced their showcase for the 10th it seems unlikely that Sony will have a showcase the same week so I feel like that is out. Maybe late August or late September but then it feels too late to announce anything else for this year. Also, The Last of Us Part I comes out on the 2nd of September so it probably wouldn’t be that week either.

Questions on my end-

• Will Spider-Man 2 make 2023, when else would they debut gameplay?
  • Will there be any other major AAA games for 2023, nothing else is really announced or rumored
  • Will we get any more games for 2022? Helldivers 2 was rumored but no update or official announcement
  • What exactly is the other GAAS title that Jim Ryan hinted at for this FY? It can’t be Factions as we now know
  • When is PSVR2 releasing, this year or early next? There are full complete sets in the wild already
  • What is the rest of the PSVR2 line up? We only got 4 titles out of 20 so far
  • Where is the Dualsense Pro controller?
  • When is the next big firmware updates, its been months
  • Will Bungie or Haven be part of the showcase?
Do you think it would be insane if Sony really go the rest of the year without a major 1st party showcase? Could they get away with it?

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I'm in the "I don't really care that much" about marketing events.

Make the games; tell me about them before they launch... show me a decent amount of actual gameplay as part of that.

Having said that Sony's showcase videos have been the best of the post-live event era.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It seems like they have a lot of stuff to announce but looking around the web and other forums it seems like people aren’t too confident about it. It feels like Sony has a lot to talk about though.

After Ubisoft announced their showcase for the 10th it seems unlikely that Sony will have a showcase the same week so I feel like that is out. Maybe late August or late September but then it feels too late to announce anything else for this year. Also, The Last of Us Part I comes out on the 2nd of September so it probably wouldn’t be that week either.

Questions on my end-

• Will there be any other major AAA games for 2023, nothing else is really announced or rumored
  • Will we get any more games for 2022? Helldivers 2 was rumored but no update or official announcement
  • What exactly is the other GAAS title that Jim Ryan hinted at for this FY? It can’t be Factions as we now know
  • When is PSVR2 releasing, this year or early next? There are full complete sets in the wild already
Do you think it would be insane if Sony really go the rest of the year without a major 1st party showcase? Could they get away with it?

I wouldn't go so far as to say I would be upset....but I would definitely be a little disappointed if they didn't have a showcase.

It really feels like PlayStation are doing the minimum on the PR and marketing front, the fan outreach is nonexistent as far as I can see and they do bizarre things to alienate their own fanbase like putting a PC release / port announcement in the middle of a PS5 showcase / SOP.

It really feels like a totally different group leading PlayStation now compared to the PS4....which seemed to have people with massive insight into what their fans wanted and there was a huge amount of fanservice back then. Now..... it all seems ham-fisted or like they just dont care.

So maybe no big showcase is better if they were to do a really bad job at it and put PC releases in the middle and pace it badly with no fan service.... maybe SOP's focused on individual titles is safer.

Reactions: Cragarmi

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Lol, they have no need to make a showcase, nor aren't forced to do it. They'll do one once they consider it's the time and think they have enough stuff to do it. If not, they'll simply do SoPs from time to time. They mentioned that expect to start to improve the supply later this year, and I think they may have enough material to do showcase this fall leaving enough stuff to be announced/shown later.
Will Spider-Man 2 make 2023, when else would they debut gameplay?
Insomniac has a long history of releasing at least a game per year since forever with a few exceptions. I assume one of them was 2022 due to covid. I'm super confident they'll release it in 2023 and that originally it was planned for 2022. I assume they'll debut gameplay this summer/fall in a SoP/Showcase/Game Awards.

They already announced many 2023 exclusives like Spider-Man 2, TLOU online, Horizon CoM, RE Village VR, RE4R VR, Tchia, Final Fantasy XVI, Granblue Fantasy Relink, etc. Obviously more will continue to be announced in the next events during the rest of this year and early 2023.

Sony doesn't plan to release more games for PC, and doesn't plan to release day one games on PC for this FY or for the FY2025. Whoever made the Nvidia list GoW was the only one correct, all the other almost a dozen unannounced Sony games of that according to that list were going to be released in PC during 2022 won't be released on PC, at least not during the current fiscal year.

This means that if Helldivers 2 exist won't be released this year at least for PC.

Accoding to Sony they'll publish during this FY 4 games only in PS5 and 4 games in PS4+PS5. If you remove from there GoW and the already announced ones you'll see the amount of PS Studios games to be released during the rest of the fiscal year (not 2022), which means will include some PSVR2 launch games.

I have no idea. Knack 3?

As I remember due to rumors and a legit Chinese insider they were targeting Q1 2023 but the date will depend on availability of games developed for launch. So pretty likely they are waiting to announce the date and launch lineup until they sure about it.

Regarding to these 4 games announced for PSVR2, they didn't mention if they will be launch games or not.

Ask the "leaker" who mentioned it. Officially it doesn't exist.
I have no idea
We don't know if they will ever make another showcase. Their games will be announced when they consider they are ready to be announced and that it's the proper time to announce them. I bet both games will be announced next year. In fact, I think Bungie will announce 2 new IPs next year: one to be released late 2023/early 2024 and the other one late 2024/early 2025.

Do you think it would be insane if Sony really go the rest of the year without a major 1st party showcase?
No. This year they will have released Horizon 2, GT7, TLOU Part I, GoWR plus many 3rd party exclusives, the new PS+ and many big multis, some with a marketing deal signed with them (Avatar, Howgarts Legacy, etc). They will sell a shit ton of games for PS, will make a ton of money with PS+ and will continue selling out very fast all the consoles they can ship. And well, MS won't have any big exclusive this second half of the year.

With all their releases they have the demand and engagement metrics at gaming history record levels, so no need to rise hype levels now, specially when there are no consoles in the shops. I assume they'll wait until supply gets back to almost normality.

Could they get away with it?
For sure, for the reasons I just mentioned. I think the announcements or trailers for the H2 2022 and Q1 2023 stuff including exclusives or games with marketing deals can be shown at places like SoP, Gamescom, Game Awards or random Tuesday PS Blog posts. No need a showcase for it.

Reactions: Cragarmi
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I’d almost bet my life on the fact that if they have a showcase they will announce more pc ports in it lol

We know Returnal and Sackboy ports are damn near ready, I’m also assuming Ghost of tsushi is next. Also, Uncharted still doesn’t have a release date and it was announced the last showcase already

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
TBH Horizon 2, GT7 and TLOU1 Remake is a pretty good year. But God of War Ragnarok Would be the icing on the cake.

But I hope they have more than Spiderman 2 next year when it comes to single player 1st party games, but Im not sure they will

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
TBH Horizon 2, GT7 and TLOU1 Remake is a pretty good year. But God of War Ragnarok Would be the icing on the cake.

But I hope they have more than Spiderman 2 next year when it comes to single player 1st party games, but Im not sure they will

Yeah, unless its a remake, remaster, or a stand alone short expansion sony usually need two years to announce their big games. I don’t see a big AAA single player game dropping next year outside spider-man 2 unless its a VR hybrid title

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I’m already well fed with the Final Fantasy and kingdom hearts game reveals so, not for me. Anything else is just a plus at this point.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
New titles and IP's that are single player would be great!

Great to see you post... I was worried cause you were offline for 241 minutes and 34 seconds. :unsure:

New York Wtf GIF by Lifetime

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Bryank75

Theap99

21 Jun 2022
Yes. We essentially do not know what's in the pipeline after God of War.. not much to look forward to rn

• brain

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yes. We essentially do not know what's in the pipeline after God of War.. not much to look forward to rn

Agree... apart from Wolverine and SM2 which are vaguely on the horizon.

We need a really great showcase with good pacing to re-energize the fanbase and hype everyone up!

Orchestra intro please!

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, unless its a remake, remaster, or a stand alone short expansion sony usually need two years to announce their big games. I don’t see a big AAA single player game dropping next year outside spider-man 2 unless its a VR hybrid title

I hope we’re both wrong lol but your probably right. Lets hope there’s some real surprise with some exclusives then

• sad
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Only for the fanboys I guess. The rest of the universe dosen't give a shit.

But...is about marketing. PlayStation (and any other company) NEEDS to market their shit. So. I am not worried at all.

PlayStation HAS to have something to show.

• they're_right_you_know

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Questions on my end-

So far insomniac has shown to be the most productive Fisrt Party PlayStation has. So odds are very high.

At least one.
Sure. If you count none AAA.
I dunno.
In the wild as in developers have it.... I though was supposedly to be released at the end of this year. But who knows.

Only they know. I hope we see a high profile FPS (call of duty or Killzone).
I don't care.
I don't care.
I don't think so.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 13

Questions on my end-

I don't know if it would be unforgivable because I think they probably have already made the big announcements already for the year. BUT I think word on PSVR2 should happen.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
nope, they're on cruise control. God of War doesn't even need to release this year either.

Their main competition has released nothing all year and has nothing on the horizon for the foreseeable future, and the PS5 is still supply constrained, so its better to wait and release games when more systems are in more people's hands.

they've had a steady cadence of 1st party games since day 1, and even got a few 3rd party exclusives throughout the year like Relayer, Valkyrie Profile, and Disgaea 6 Complete (none of which came to Switch let alone Xbox).

They're under no pressure to release or show anything right now. Hell they just inadvertently announced a GOTG-level exclusive in FF7R part 2.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Yes.
Acting like PS Studios is king shit but not announcing anything for a whole year is pathetic.
They can't even announce the release date for GOW:R which got delayed for a whole year.
It's sad to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.