Would it make sense for square to release ff7 remake/rebirth on xbox?

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Apparently, ff7 remake sold total 7 mil

It is difficult to say what is the ps4/ps5/pc split though.
How many people bought the original ps4 release, then either upgraded or bought ps5 version.
According to steamdb - Remake sold 500-800k on steam but it seems doubtful to be with only 13k tops players in the peak.

What does any of that has to do with it?
Simple. Bot pc and xbox players don't like buying new games at full price. Something that playstation players have no problems doing.
PC players love sales and key resellers + tons of piracy which ff7 remake was known to have happened on release.
And xbox players are conditioned to wait for games to hit Gamepass.
And gamepass alone without microsoft money is not able to make development of these expensive AAA games possible just like Larian guy said:

And my feeling (only feeling) is that xbox sales would not even make up for development cost of the port.
Also, putting it in GP or other services can do nothing else but hurt it's full price sales.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well if you follow Square Enix logic... yes.
Xbox received all FFs games, no?

But it were all late releases with exception of FFXIII and FFXV.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
The more people it is available to, the better. That said, I have only played FF games on PlayStation, so that is where I will continue to buy them, including Rebirth.

Reactions: Bryank75

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
It is difficult to say what is the ps4/ps5/pc split though.
How many people bought the original ps4 release, then either upgraded or bought ps5 version.
According to steamdb - Remake sold 500-800k on steam but it seems doubtful to be with only 13k tops players in the peak.
It was an Epic Game Exclusive for 1 year before going to Steam, so a lot of PC players just pirated it. That's why the Steam peak is so low

OP
OP
rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It was an Epic Game Exclusive for 1 year before going to Steam, so a lot of PC players just pirated it. That's why the Steam peak is so low
aaah I forgot about that.
Wait... anyone buys games on epic? We know how that ended for alan wake 2 lol.
I never even created an account there. I am not giving them any satisfaction for free games I don't want

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I never even created an account there. I am not giving them any satisfaction for free games I don't want
Why? I love Epic Games because they piss off annoying PCMR chuds like @flaccidsnake 😂🤣😂

OP
OP
rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Why? I love Epic Games because they piss off annoying PCMR chuds like @flaccidsnake 😂🤣😂
Mainly because I reember how they paid for metro exodus exclusivity and took it away from steam for a year.
Good thing i already had it paid for and pre-ordered then on steam....
but also, I don't need another launcher and all their free games, I've already played

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I have so many free games on Epic and I just bought Lords of the Fallen too 😁

Tim Sweeney is ugly and dumb but I don't care 😎

• brain
Reactions: rofif

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Hey no shit posting.

Sorry Home Alone GIF by filmeditor

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
If Microsoft drops a check why not?

If the port costs 3-5 mill why not?

If I'm Sony on the other hand, why would I sign a 1 year or 2 year deal when I have all the leverage.... 5 year on that bitch, or lifetime. The audience and home of Final Fantasy is on PlayStation, I am the market leader and you're getting prime time by associating with my platform and me boosting your title.

This is a business decision. I think if the port costs are low, it's def worth it to drop it on an ecosystem that has a hardcore of about 5-10 million that may consider it.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah