Xbox and AMD partner to create Starfield themed GPU and CPU box (giveaway)

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Xbox/AMD are releasing a themed graphics card but not a themed console......and this is supposedly their biggest game of the generation. Just more evidence that Xbox couldn't care less about the console, and sadly Sony is following suit.

Also I wish Xbox would stop doing every remotely cool thing as a sweepstakes and let people actually buy stuff.

24 Jun 2022
I don't think Microsoft has a lot of confidence Starfield will be a system-seller. Otherwise, as you said, we'd be seeing Starfield/Series X bundles, and themed Series S & X Starfield consoles.

I kinda wonder what the morale is over at Bethesda; from the document leaks and even couple of interviews it feels like Pete Hines is not particularly enthused with the Zenimax/Microsoft arrangement. Shinji Mikami promptly left shortly after Hi-Fi Rush despite not retiring. Some of the same workplace culture issues that existed pre-acquisition are still there in post (not a good sign for ABK), etc.

Now imagine having worked on this massive WRPG for like a decade and having envisioned it for longer, less than a month out from release and...virtually nothing noteworthy in terms of marketing. No demos to whet the appetites before launch, no further information outside of the June Starfield Direct (which didn't give a full feel for the actual gameplay loop). The whole mood around the game corporate-wise seems oddly mute and maybe that is a sign the game's coming in hot.

Even so, I have to imagine more than a few people at Bethesda who've put years into the game are not pleased with this seemingly ho-hum rollout for what's been billed as Bethesda'a most ambitious game ever made :/

Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I don't think Microsoft has a lot of confidence Starfield will be a system-seller. Otherwise, as you said, we'd be seeing Starfield/Series X bundles, and themed Series S & X Starfield consoles.

I kinda wonder what the morale is over at Bethesda; from the document leaks and even couple of interviews it feels like Pete Hines is not particularly enthused with the Zenimax/Microsoft arrangement. Shinji Mikami promptly left shortly after Hi-Fi Rush despite not retiring. Some of the same workplace culture issues that existed pre-acquisition are still there in post (not a good sign for ABK), etc.

Now imagine having worked on this massive WRPG for like a decade and having envisioned it for longer, less than a month out from release and...virtually nothing noteworthy in terms of marketing. No demos to whet the appetites before launch, no further information outside of the June Starfield Direct (which didn't give a full feel for the actual gameplay loop). The whole mood around the game corporate-wise seems oddly mute and maybe that is a sign the game's coming in hot.

Even so, I have to imagine more than a few people at Bethesda who've put years into the game are not pleased with this seemingly ho-hum rollout for what's been billed as Bethesda'a most ambitious game ever made :/
Doesnt matter when Phil already wrote the checks for all the 10/10's "game reviewers" will give it.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This is pretty cool! It's smart of Microsoft/Xbox to market to PC players. Most PC players also own a console so obviously they'd want it to be an Xbox. Plus Xbox does better than Playstation with cross-play, cross-save, even cross-purchase, so there's a lot of potential value there to a PC player. Playstation could learn a few things about it.

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

Not to mention the layoffs, a lot of Bethesda/Zenimax employees were let go. I wonder where Mikami will go to next....I hope back to Capcom. Yeah it must be jarring for Bethesda, the release of their games is usually an event, but now they'll be pretty much giving away the biggest game in companies history for free......

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This is pretty cool! It's smart of Microsoft/Xbox to market to PC players. Most PC players also own a console so obviously they'd want it to be an Xbox. Plus Xbox does better than Playstation with cross-play, cross-save, even cross-purchase, so there's a lot of potential value there to a PC player. Playstation could learn a few things about it.
I would agree with you if it was actually for sale, but it's "giveaway" only. And like with the Halo 6900xt, pretty much all of the gpu's will go to gaming influencers and Xbox shills who won't even use it. Parris got one of the Halo Infinite GPUs but he quickly tossed it aside when he got a 4090 for free. These cool gpu's will just collect dust instead of being used by real gamers.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Xbox/AMD are releasing a themed graphics card but not a themed console......and this is supposedly their biggest game of the generation. Just more evidence that Xbox couldn't care less about the console, and sadly Sony is following suit.

Also I wish Xbox would stop doing every remotely cool thing as a sweepstakes and let people actually buy stuff.

Looks ugly

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That's a pretty nice cooler design. Cpu box art is meaningless though, they should have at least made a custom heatsink for that

Reactions: JAHGamer
24 Jun 2022

Yeah if only Sony owned an OS for PC that had 75%+ of the OS market-share in the PC market to make console/PC cross-whatever a vested interest for them...

Oh wait...

I would agree with you if it was actually for sale, but it's "giveaway" only. And like with the Halo 6900xt, pretty much all of the gpu's will go to gaming influencers and Xbox shills who won't even use it. Parris got one of the Halo Infinite GPUs but he quickly tossed it aside when he got a 4090 for free. These cool gpu's will just collect dust instead of being used by real gamers.

That's crazy. It's basically a promotional stunt.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yeah if only Sony owned an OS for PC that had 75%+ of the OS market-share in the PC market to make console/PC cross-whatever a vested interest for them...
Nothing about MS owning Windows prevents Playstation from supporting PC/PS5 cross-play, cross-saving, and cross-purchasing. If I already double-dipped to buy Returnal on Steam + PS5, why can't I play coop between them? That should be the bare minimum.

Reactions: Systemshock2023