Xbox cancelled their E3 showing this year due to a marketing budget cut from Microsoft

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
seems like MS is making some significant cuts over at xbox. Marketing budget cut, 11k layoffs, 343i gutted, coalition cancelled projects, it's all starting to add up.

marketing budgets get cut due to reduced market position, it's all a downwards spiral.

xbox really can't catch a break this week.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Now I'm not so sure this is true. Makes more sense to me that MS was just the last of the big 3 to realize that E3 isn't worth it anymore.

People initially gave Sony shit for pulling out, but the truth is just that they saw the writing on the wall. Also, they didn't like working with the ESA. Nintendo realized it before anyone.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
LOOKING AHEAD

As we announced previously, in order to dedicate the proper amount of time for a deep dive into Bethesda Game Studios’ Starfield, a standalone show is in the works. In addition to this, our teams are working hard and look forward to sharing even more of what is next for our fans when we return to Los Angeles for our yearly Showcase this summer.

Leave it to bodycount to make himself a fool every given opportunity

funny-laugh.gif

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Leave it to bodycount to make himself a fool every given opportunity

funny-laugh.gif
They already confirmed they won't be at E3 lol
You link is the the own show they do every year.

They used to do both... owned show + E3.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
They already confirmed they won't be at E3 lol
You link is the the own show they do every year.

They used to do both... owned show + E3.

Last years "E3" was digital, they're doing a separate showcase at the same time just like last year.

There might be an in-person component to E3 again this year but literally no one is coming outside of some select publishers maybe.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
interested to see how the marketing budget cut will affect ads/commercials, 3rd party exclusives, timed content deals, and securing games for gamepass.

all of this falls under marketing.

P

peter42O

"According to industry insider Idle Sloth, the reason for Microsoft’s absence from E3 is a result of a cut from Xbox’s marketing budget"

LMFAO!!! Idle Sloth isn't an industry insider and everyday has to literally correct a tweet he made prior in the same day.

Reactions: Zzero
24 Jun 2022
"According to industry insider Idle Sloth, the reason for Microsoft’s absence from E3 is a result of a cut from Xbox’s marketing budget"

LMFAO!!! Idle Sloth isn't an industry insider and everyday has to literally correct a tweet he made prior in the same day.

So, he works at VGChartz then? 😉

• haha
Reactions: peter42O

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022

Allegedly and Idle Sloth as source :ROFLMAO:

I'm tired of MS's melodrama as anyone else here but this is a non-story. E3 is dead. Geoff, being a smart self-promoter replaced it with Summer Game Fest, of which Xbox will clearly have some sort of presence.

Last year Xbox had a show, crap as always but they had one, and it had nothing to do with what we know as E3. There may obviously be marketing budget cuts within MS's gaming which may affect the form in which MS events take place but this sounds more like a twitter clout chaser chasing notoriety by stretching the truth for clicks and being rewarded for it, in this case twice (the "source"), and the obscure website starving for clicks giving a platform to said source.

You can equate Sony's lack of appearance at a dead horse E3 and subsequent State of Plays as a "marketing budget cut". It's obviously a half truth.

Reactions: AshHunter216

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They literally own a venue called "Micosoft theater" in L.A where they're hosting a showcase.

I know you like to cut loose here and say things you can't elsewhere, but come on 😅
So we're now pretending that they weren't planning to go to E3 at all?

"E3 is just, to me, one of the seminal moments of gaming. I love the history of going down to LA, thousands of people there, getting to see great new things...getting to see people in the industry, the fan events that we've had. I definitely want that to continue."

"Xbox is on the board of the ESA, and I think a successful and healthy ESA is critical to what we're trying to go do. So we place our showcase, like we always have done, at a time where hopefully it's convenient for press and even consumers that are going to the E3 event, and that's what we're trying to do now." -- Phil Spencer

And if hosting a private show at MS theatre was such a genius move, why didn't they do this before? Instead, they were taking digs at Sony for abandoning E3.