Xbox-Fans review bombing Helldivers 2 on metacritic

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't know in 6 months but right now Helldivers is higher than Apex, GTA and COD.

It's at 144k, right below Baldur's Gate 3.
Btw just wanted to point out how impressive it is that a single player game like BG3 is still above 100k almost half a year out from release.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
I believe there's a reason that metacritic allows user reviews despite it being completely known to be vulnerable to shilling, and that's precisely because it's vulnerable to shilling
I would also bet that a significant portion of their web traffic comes from deranged fanatics review bombing, so they probably don't feel too motivated to solve that problem.

Reactions: Box

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
I don't know in 6 months but right now Helldivers is higher than Apex, GTA and COD.

Well I mean Helldivers 2 has more players on PS5 and Steam then Apex Legends right now. The only gaas that has higher engagement on PS5 right now is Fortnight.

Apex Legends came out 5 years ago and it is on around 7 platforms and have order of magnitude bigger player base every damn day. Just because Helldivers 2 has now a bigger player count than Apex on launch, doesn't make it a cultural phenomenon. Apex since launch on Steam at the beginning of 2020 and in just few months had over 300 player count. Doubt that Hellidivers 2 will reach that number in few months on Steam

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Apex’s peak on steam today alone is like 250k.

BRs are a different beast

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Apex Legends came out 5 years ago and it is on around 7 platforms and have order of magnitude bigger player base every damn day. Just because Helldivers 2 has now a bigger player count than Apex on launch, doesn't make it a cultural phenomenon. Apex since launch on Steam at the beginning of 2020 and in just few months had over 300 player count. Doubt that Hellidivers 2 will reach that number in few months on Steam
Apex Legends is also free to play and Helldivers 2 is not. I honestly doubt Apex Legends is ever going to be higher then Helldivers 2 on PS5 unless they take a long time to fix the matchmaking. Destiny 2 came out before Apex Legends and has more players right now. Sony has 2 gaas games with more engagement then Apex Legends at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
honestly doubt Apex Legends is ever going to be higher then Helldivers 2 on PS5 unless they take a long time to fix the matchmaking

Apex Legends is among most downloaded games on PSN for years ( whichever region you check) That won't be the case for Helldivers 2

Matchmaking is fixed.
Destiny 2 came out before Apex Legends and has more players right now. Sony has 2 gaas games with more engagement then Apex Legends at the moment.

Destiny 2 came out way before Sony acquisition and i wouldn't count Destiny 2 at all.

Apex Legends is also free to play and Helldivers 2 is not.

Apex Legends is like i've said, also on much more platforms. Also, BG3 is far more niche game and it has higher player count than Helldivers 2 and it is waaaay more expensive game

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Apex Legends is among most downloaded games on PSN for years ( whichever region you check) That won't be the case for Helldivers 2

Matchmaking is fixed.

Destiny 2 came out way before Sony acquisition and i wouldn't count Destiny 2 at all.

Apex Legends is like i've said, also on much more platforms. Also, BG3 is far more niche game and it has higher player count than Helldivers 2 and it is waaaay more expensive game
Matchmaking has not been fixed have you even played Helldivers 2? Are you passing judgment on a game you've never played?

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I hardly even look at metacritic, even for "real" reviews. I mean, who cares.

The fact that people are sitting around even thinking about user reviews to the degree where they feel the need to "review bomb" something is a sad reflection of the people doing so, IMO. Like seriously, there is way more to life than this stuff lol.

Last edited:

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Matchmaking has not been fixed have you even played Helldivers 2? Are you passing judgment on a game you've never played?

It was patched yesterday. LOL. That's why game surged in good user score on Steam. Also, Helldivers 2 got update yesterday on PS5 to fix matchmaking. Didn't had any problem, yes.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
It was patched yesterday. LOL. That's why game surged in good user score on Steam. Also, Helldivers 2 got update yesterday on PS5 to fix matchmaking. Didn't had any problem, yes.

He meant that it is not totally fixed. If you check the Patch Note for that singular patch so far it says this:

Hey everyone,

Okay, we have another build for PC. Since we launched, we've worked hard at solving some persistent crashes and bugs, especially the matchmaking issues you've likely seen and felt by now. In this new build, we've managed to improve the matchmaking success rate further, but unfortunately, it's not all the way there yet. The full solution might take additional days of work before it's fully functional.

By the way, we have noticed that it works best if you join an active game by searching on planets rather than triggering Quickplay.

Quickplay is still rather bad, especially in a crossplay manner and matchmaking in general if I recall correctly from a discord thingy went from 30% at the peak of pre-patch to about 80% post patch, at least that's what their estimation was before deploying it.

So no, not fixed. It's better and people are getting better at using workarounds, so more people are able to enjoy the game as it was supposed to be played.

Reactions: Plextorage

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
He meant that it is not totally fixed. If you check the Patch Note for that singular patch so far it says this:

Quickplay is still rather bad, especially in a crossplay manner and matchmaking in general if I recall correctly from a discord thingy went from 30% at the peak of pre-patch to about 80% post patch, at least that's what their estimation was before deploying it.

So no, not fixed. It's better and people are getting better at using workarounds, so more people are able to enjoy the game as it was supposed to be played.

Yes, improved matchmaking functionality isn't 100% fixed, but mostly is. That's why it got a huge surge in user score on Steam.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Matchmaking is fixed.

Destiny’s most recent peak concurrent with LightFall last year is definitely fair game to associate as a Sony game. They own them and it was partly developed while owned by Sony. Final Shape will definitely break that too on all platforms. But it in no way is doing as good as apex. Destiny is at its lowest like ever right now etc.. especially since a new expansion would’ve launched now. Even then slow destiny is still bigger than most new releases.

I don’t get why we are downplaying apex. Apex is huge and way bigger than being portrayed here. It still peaks on steam alone above 250k daily. Yea that might be Asian markets but still.

CoD on steam is 3 games combined into one tracked sku. That should be a bigger talking point and comparison.

What surprises me is how low Rainbow Six Seige is on steam compared to how it does on console. I guess you can’t write off different pc launchers.

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023

Mmmmhhh...maybe I don't know how to read Steam Charts, but Apex Legend has a 24 hours peak of 248000 ? And its all time peak is something like 650000 ? Helldivers 2 can certainly improve its numbers in the future and it's anyway a success, but doesn't really seems to be in the same league of AL , at the moment. On the other side, Apex first week on Steam had lower numbers than H2, if I'm not mistaken, so everything is possible.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Mmmmhhh...maybe I don't know how to read Steam Charts, but Apex Legend has a 24 hours peak of 248000 ? And its all time peak is something like 650000 ? Helldivers 2 can certainly improve its numbers in the future and it's anyway a success, but doesn't really seems to be in the same league of AL , at the moment. On the other side, Apex first week on Steam had lower numbers than H2, if I'm not mistaken, so everything is possible.
I was comparing the live numbers at that moment, hours ago before the peak. Not all-time peak because if we compare all-time than only Cyberpunk, BG3, Elden Ring and stuff like that matters. Not a fair comparison.

Anyway, I was exaggerating in that post. I know Helldivers is not bigger than Apex. I thought it was obvious 🤷‍♂️

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
CoD on steam is 3 games combined into one tracked sku. That should be a bigger talking point and comparison.

Yeah these are pretty low numbers for PC. But I would bet a lot of money that CoD is the most console lopsided of the GaaS shooters, so it's not the full picture. CoD is still an insane juggernaut. Also CoD mobile exist for the Asian market.

What surprises me is how low Rainbow Six Seige is on steam compared to how it does on console. I guess you can’t write off different pc launchers.

I don't think a lot of people would use the Ubisoft Launcher, but I could be wrong.
I think it's just a matter of the game being very console focused. I mean Ubisoft is a very console friendly publisher. AC/Far Cry and other large Ubisoft franchises are big sellers among the more casual console gamers, especially in Europe.