Xbox Games Showcase Followed by Mysterious New Reveal Direct Airs June 9

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
747e743irow.jpg

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
HeisenbergFX4 is hyping up Gears 6 big time, saying people aren't ready for how it looks. Also an UE5 game. Not really playing much of anything these days, but curious to see it.
Craptastic eye candy.. what could go wrong?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How is it the market leader when Apple Gaming has made more money than Nintendo,Playstation and Xbox combined?
No, Apple Gaming hasn't made more money than Nintendo, PS and Xbox combined.

The market share of a company is the percetage of revenue of that market that has made each company. The market leader is the company with the biggest market share (or revenue made) in that market, and currently the top position keeps changing between Sony and Tencent (with $26-27B/year aprox) depending if you look to a specific quarter, or year, etc.

Below them there are others like MS (with $25B aprox), Apple or Netease. Here you have a couple rankings (one of them yearly but incomplete, the other one quarterly):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_video_game_companies_by_revenue
https://newzoo.com/resources/rankings/top-25-companies-game-revenues

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No, Apple Gaming hasn't made more money than Nintendo, PS and Xbox combined.

The market share of a company is the percetage of revenue of that market that has made each company. The market leader is the company with the biggest market share (or revenue made) in that market, and currently the top position keeps changing between Sony and Tencent (with $26-27B/year aprox) depending if you look to a specific quarter, or year, etc.

Below them there are others like MS (with $25B aprox), Apple or Netease. Here you have a couple rankings (one of them yearly but incomplete, the other one quarterly):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_video_game_companies_by_revenue
https://newzoo.com/resources/rankings/top-25-companies-game-revenues

Yeah, it has. At least profit (the title is wrong, but the content correctly states things). And that's what matters. These are old numbers too, and they've only gone up.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Yeah, it has. At least profit (the title is wrong, but the content correctly states things). And that's what matters. These are old numbers too, and they've only gone up.
It's just fake news propaganda, or probably just a mistake from someone who didn't know what he was talking about. Notice the article you mention says:

"Apple, however, repudiated the publication’s analysis of its profits: “The tech giant said operating margins discussed during the trial were flawed and as a result are too high,” WSJ wrote.

I can't read the article but I assume that what happened is that they counted the AppStore game revenue/operating income as "profits" ignoring the (pretty likely included in other divisions, so not counted there) costs of servers, running and mantaining the store, making the hardware, marketing the hardware and a long etc. They are not profits, they were basically game revenue.

While in case of companies like Sony or Nintendo they looked instead to their operating income of the whole company, which includes all the costs I mentioned and way more.

If comparing gaming revenue vs gaming revenue, SIE has been on top of Apple both in 2020 and now (as can be seen in the Newzoo website I provided).

Edit: in the free version of the Newzoo website you no longer can check previous quarters as happened in the past. The oldest version tracked in Wayback machine shows Q3 FY2022 data, that also includes Sony above Apple

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's just fake news fanboy propaganda. Notice the article you mention says:

"Apple, however, repudiated the publication’s analysis of its profits: “The tech giant said operating margins discussed during the trial were flawed and as a result are too high,” WSJ wrote.

I can't read the article but I assume that what happened is that they counted the AppStore game revenue/operating income as "profits" ignoring the (pretty likely included in other divisions, so not counted there) costs of servers, running and mantaining the store, making the hardware, marketing the hardware and a long etc. They are not profits, they were basically game revenue.

While in case of companies like Sony or Nintendo they looked instead to their operating income of the whole company, which includes all the costs I mentioned and way more.

If comparing gaming revenue vs gaming revenue, SIE has been on top of Apple both in 2020 and now (as can be seen in the Newzoo website I provided).

Edit: in the free version of the Newzoo website you no longer can check previous quarters as happened in the past. The oldest version tracked in Wayback machine shows Q3 FY2022 data, that also includes Sony above Apple
Yep, no reason for Apple to argue the numbers when they are trying to protect their rent collecting scheme.

HARD TO SPIN ANY OTHER WAY — Despite its best efforts, Apple’s attempts to downplay the App Store’s inordinately lucrative gaming profits rang a bit hollow to everyone in the room during the trial. At one point, Apple CEO Tim Cook argued that the financial documents painted an exaggerated view of the situation, an assertion the judge pushed back citing... well... the basic mathematics involved. She even went so far as to call Apple’s gaming profits “extraordinarily high,” which given fiscal years 2018 and 2019’s respective 74.9 percent and 77.8 percent operating margins, is a pretty accurate description.

And again, this was four years ago and their revenue (and therefore profit) in this category has only gone up.

Denying reality because it means your favorite gaming company isn't on top is weird to me.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yep, no reason for Apple to argue the numbers when they are trying to protect their rent collecting scheme.

And again, this was four years ago and their revenue (and therefore profit) in this category has only gone up.

Denying reality because it means your favorite gaming company isn't on top is weird to me.
I mean, the hard data numbers are real. It's true Apple made $8.5B from the AppStore (and they make way more now as I mentioned) in revenue. But it isn't profit. It's like to say Sony makes $27B in profits from PS, that's false and wrong.

Some goes with considering these are net profits because that had 75-78% operating margin. It would be like to say, hey, PSN is a gold mine because makes a shit tone of revene with an insane operating margin/operating profits.

Well, like the AppStore, PSN may have a huge operating margin profit. But there are huge related costs reported in other areas -so not considered for the operating margins- like from making the PS hardware -sold at a loss-, funding a ton of big ass AAA 1st and 2nd party games, signing many 3rd party exclusives, marketing deals, paying the servers for PSN, marketing, etc.

This is what Apple -and I- say: it is misleading to ignore all the other costs that aren't included there. When instead when looking at the whole SIE or Nintendo, all these costs are included there, so obviously the profitability -at all levels, including the operating one- is way smaller than when ignoring them for Apple.

Even if in Apple's case, profitability is still higher because they don't spend hundreds of millions on funding games, and they sell their hardware at a profit.

Apple doesn't like, these dumb journalist are just comparing Apples to oranges.

I don't deny reality, I just explain they are wrong because aren't comparing the same for both companies. They are comparing the revenue of a store vs the profits of a whole company, which is a retarded and biased comparision.

When they should compare the same for all companies, like the gaming revenue from the companies. Or if want to limit to their stores, the revenue from their stores. When doing so, the claim made by these journalists of "Apple getting more profit than Nintendo, Sony etc combined" is false and wrong. First because they are not comparing profits, and second because the quantity isn't bigger than the other one, in fact Sony's one alone is bigger.

A fair comparision is to compare this Apple gaming revenue vs Sony and Nintendo's gaming revenue in the same period, because you'd be comparing gaming revenue for both:

44bde5b1-c6fb-4926-bfd8-698bb9dd3990-screen-shot-2021-10-04-at-13036-pm.png

We can't compare operating profits from the stores because companies like Nintendo or Sony don't report the operating profitability of their stores separatedly, because they consider them just another part of their whole business and their costs and revenues are too interconnected.

It would be as retarded as to say that Sony makes more profits than Nintendo from gaming because SIE makes 27B in revenue and Nintendo only has around 3B in profits. This would be stupid because you aren't comparing the same.

Last edited: