Xbox had a parity clause preventing Yakuza: Like a Dragon from releasing on PS5 before its Xbox Series counterpart

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Found in the FTC's document leak, Damon Baker confirms that Xbox had a parity clause for Yakuza: Like a Dragon that prevented it from releasing on PS5 before releasing on the Xbox

jvQArh5.png

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
We knew this., 6 months to be exacted.

Spike Chunsoft leaked this first to be fair. Funny how the series best sold on Playstation.
The series wouldn't exist without PlayStation period. Both RGG/Atlus wouldn't be what they are without PlayStation. Sad that they took that GamePass money, but Microsoft probably overpaid by a ton so I can't blame them. I don't have issues with that, but purposely making games run worse on PlayStation, where 95% of your audience is, is inexcusable and I lost almost all respect for them. Xbox STILL has the next gen version of Persona games, and PS5 doesn't.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Kokoloko

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
The series wouldn't exist without PlayStation period. Both RGG/Atlus wouldn't be what they are without PlayStation. Sad that they took that GamePass money, but Microsoft probably overpaid by a ton so I can't blame them. I don't have issues with that, but purposely making games run worse on PlayStation, where 95% of your audience is, is inexcusable and I lost almost all respect for them. Xbox STILL has the next gen version of Persona games, and PS5 doesn't.

I think Atlus would have been picked up by SIE at one point, but Sega outbided them.

But yeah Atlus did blew up on PS, all the best releases SMTIII, DDS, P3, P4 and P5 was on PS.

So is Yakuza, Yakuza 5 Western releases sucess launch series into mainstream in the West, and Sony support them to publish the game like SFV.

Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I think Atlus would have been picked up by SIE at one point, but Sega outbided them.

But yeah Atlus did blew up on PS, all the best releases SMTIII, DDS, P3, P4 and P5 was on PS.

So is Yakuza, Yakuza 5 Western releases sucess launch series into mainstream in the West, and Sony support them to publish the game like SFV.
yep Sony also did the international localization/translation for Yakuza 5 when Sega didn't want to, and RGG repays them by giving them inferior versions of their games 😒

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Entropi

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
yep Sony also did the international localization/translation for Yakuza 5 when Sega didn't want to, and RGG repays them by giving them inferior versions of their games 😒
Also ittle did everyone knows but SIE published COD in japan.

I have the disc for COD Black Ops cold war, not sure about later versions.