Xbox is the smallest earner for Activision/Blizzard after Sony, Apple & Google in that order - more drama for the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Apple and Google is only as a result of crazy people and Candy Crush.... Also Xbox is like 45% of Sony's install base yet their revenue share was nearly 65% of Sony's.

What drama? Rent free my guy.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
basically it backs up Sony's claims on how important ACT/BLIZZARD is as a independent publisher to their and others spreadsheets. Take that away or change the flow of that and you will make it like Microsoft is trying to rig the game in their favor. It shows Xbox's position in terms of what they generate from Act/B sales. Them being forth makes it like they are buying the publisher to be #1.

Which is anti-competitive.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah except they still won’t be #1 in gaming revenue or anything.

Jesus this place lives in make believe land when it comes to that acquisition 😆

It’s like you don’t understand what a competitive market is?

Look at it this way, if a large independent music conglomerate has a bunch of Grammy big time artists that sell well on apple, Spotify, and Sony music service is last place in terms of sales of said artists albums/songs/singles in terms of revenue generated. But then tries to buy the conglomerate while already being larger than most of the competitors, that’s called a monopoly.

Do you get it now?

Reactions: Snake29 and Umar

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Larger in other markets maybe, MS certainly isn’t larger in the gaming market. And AB is one publisher out of many. It’s not a monopoly.

A lot of people here are going to be crushed when this goes through, if the zany posts are any indication.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Larger in other markets maybe, MS certainly isn’t larger in the gaming market. And AB is one publisher out of many. It’s not a monopoly.

A lot of people here are going to be crushed when this goes through, if the zany posts are any indication.

Xbox is a division of Microsoft. CMA,FTC look at the whole company not just a division of it.

As a whole Microsoft is close to the largest in the world. With a hold on business applications only outdone in some regards by Amazon for cloud server usage.

No one is denying that it’s probably going to go through. But the larger point is what will they buy next? Another publisher?

That’s 2 publishers in 2 years.

By one company.

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Apple and Google is only as a result of crazy people and Candy Crush.... Also Xbox is like 45% of Sony's install base yet their revenue share was nearly 65% of Sony's.

Also windows don’t forget

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

This share is for Microsoft, so Xbox + Windows.

So ~60 million Xboxs + ~120 million steam users. The market share is disproportionately lower than PlayStation (~135 million user base).

• haha
Reactions: Bernd Lauert

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
LOL it wont be for long.. to the tune of ~$70B.

But it's nice information knowing Sony will be making MS the largest amount of money from this deal

Laughing-Leo.png

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

But it's nice information knowing Sony will be making MS the largest amount of money from this deal

Laughing-Leo.png
Meh. Sony will move along with their own games that are COD alternatives, and a large majority of PS gamers will also move along with them.

COD is and will remain super popular, but that's not the be-all and end-all. For reference, despite selling the most on PlayStation, COD still sells less than games like God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, TLOU, Uncharted, etc. on PlayStation.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Meh. Sony will move along with their own games that are COD alternatives, and a large majority of PS gamers will also move along with them.

COD is and will remain super popular, but that's not the be-all and end-all. For reference, despite selling the most on PlayStation, COD still sells less than games like God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, TLOU, Uncharted, etc. on PlayStation.
Sony fans seem to be the ones saying that nothing can compete with COD though... and nah... COD sells mad numbers on an annual basis... add up all the COD sales between each of those franchise releases and it's selling more.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony fans seem to be the ones saying that nothing can compete with COD though... and nah... COD sells mad numbers on an annual basis... add up all the COD sales between each of those franchise releases and it's selling more.
COD quality isn't the same as it used to be back in the days of MW, MW2, and MW3, which remain some of my favorite games.

Having said that, COD is still very popular and will remain so. But ... there are other competitors now: Apex, Destiny, Fortnite, etc. And when Sony releases its first-party MP games, I think those games will also make a big impact because they have the right talent, e.g., Deviation Games, Naughty Dog, etc.

Currently, Sony promotes COD left, right, and center because Sony wants PS gamers to buy COD. After the acquisition, Sony will shift that focus to its own games. Gradually, the userbase will start to shift.

Will PS gamers still play and/or miss COD? Absolutely they will. As I said, it's a popular franchise and will remain so. But the reliance on COD will be far, far less than what we see today.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
COD quality isn't the same as it used to be back in the days of MW, MW2, and MW3, which remain some of my favorite games.

Having said that, COD is still very popular and will remain so. But ... there are other competitors now: Apex, Destiny, Fortnite, etc. And when Sony releases its first-party MP games, I think those games will also make a big impact because they have the right talent, e.g., Deviation Games, Naughty Dog, etc.

Currently, Sony promotes COD left, right, and center because Sony wants PS gamers to buy COD. After the acquisition, Sony will shift that focus to its own games. Gradually, the userbase will start to shift.

Will PS gamers still play and/or miss COD? Absolutely they will. As I said, it's a popular franchise and will remain so. But the reliance on COD will be far, far less than what we see today.
Of course. That's what they'll do. That's why competition is a good thing. MS isn't going to deprive Sony of COD... and Sony, will create a new product for it's gamers to gravitate towards. They could create the next COD... and it could be exclusive to their platform. Sony fans could have another hot series in the vein of COD... giving them access to two great game series instead of just one.

And that is what will make Sony stronger in the end. The more challenges the face head on, and overcome, makes them more resilient to anything that can happen in the future.

• brain
Reactions: Heisenberg007
OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Laughing-Leo.png
That’s the paradox, ms cutting themselves off from the largest market after 70B clams is almost implausible for their bottom line.

But my bet would be that it would be a long game - gradual incentives to move to Xbox eco system and thus a slow transition of users. Halo skins in COD, some games timed/exclusives, dlc etc.

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

I expect this years Modern Warefare 2 will be a mega hit. After many skipping out on Vanguard, there is much pent up interest I expect, not to mention MW1 2019 is a landmark imho, very much like the original.

Even compounded by a lacklustre Battlefield & Warzone fatigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.