xbox is using paid reviews to boost starfield meta

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
No, xbox does not need to do that. That's essentially bribing small dudes to gaslight you into thinking xbox is good.

What xbox needs to do is to make great games, a lot of them, at a steady pace. And by great games I mean games with lots of popular appeal, not niche shit like "as dusk falls". And they needed to start doing it 5 years ago.

The problem right now is their management is utter shit so they don't have any handle on their product pipeline. If they could build it, the customers would come. But Microsoft doesn't care about putting out a quality gaming product. They care about trying to manipulate the market through underhanded shit and tricking people into buying into a dead end ecosystem.
They need to do that because they are shit at what they are supposed to do. And Because of that, they will always going to be failure.

Reactions: moobn1

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Disgusting GIF by Big Brother

Reactions: Sloane_Ranger
24 Jun 2022

The problem lies with MetaCritic. They could filter out the shill reviews easily, but choose not to. FWIW I find the similar PlayStation and Nintendo-named websites doing reviews of 1P games on those cringe too, but they have nowhere NEAR the proliferation in the MetaCritic aggregate that Xbox-named and centered review sites do for Xbox games.

It does feel like an extension of the astroturfing campaign, and should be investigated into. Sadly if the industry won't do it, government will have to.

"Even when I had only 200 followers on twitter, Microsoft was kind of there. Saying like 'come to gamescom... we can get you backstage...you can jump the queues to play the games and talk to the devs...' I don't know if Sony does the same thing, but Microsoft really tries to nurture the grassroots..."

@4m30s

He's literally describing astroturfing.

FWIW, I don't think platform holders trying to open up to their community, or the press & media, is in itself a bad thing. But there are levels to it. Microsoft takes it too far IMO; they have a face/mascot in Phil Spencer (and to a lesser extent, people like Aaron Greenberg) which is good in the fact they're a relatable presence, but bad in that they are tied directly to the actual upper management of the gaming division, which ends up creating a cult of personality (which can be dangerous).

It's also one thing to have a relatable face who openly speaks with the media and press; this is something Sony have been VERY bad at this generation because Jim Ryan is just 100% not that type of guy. He's a shrewd businessman, his element is in that environment which is mainly behind-the-scenes. However, buttering up the media and press in return for "favors" to boost reporting and reviews of your platform & games beyond what they otherwise merit, or direct negative reporting towards your rivals, is an unacceptable practice. I don't think Microsoft feels the same way :/

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
FWIW, I don't think platform holders trying to open up to their community, or the press & media, is in itself a bad thing. But there are levels to it. Microsoft takes it too far IMO; they have a face/mascot in Phil Spencer (and to a lesser extent, people like Aaron Greenberg) which is good in the fact they're a relatable presence, but bad in that they are tied directly to the actual upper management of the gaming division, which ends up creating a cult of personality (which can be dangerous).

It's also one thing to have a relatable face who openly speaks with the media and press; this is something Sony have been VERY bad at this generation because Jim Ryan is just 100% not that type of guy. He's a shrewd businessman, his element is in that environment which is mainly behind-the-scenes. However, buttering up the media and press in return for "favors" to boost reporting and reviews of your platform & games beyond what they otherwise merit, or direct negative reporting towards your rivals, is an unacceptable practice. I don't think Microsoft feels the same way :/
There's no reason why we should be concerned with the corporate personalities like Spencer or Ryan. The platform and the games should speak for itself. I don't gaf if Jim Ryan actually doesn't play videogames and spends his days golfing with Rudy Giuliani. It means nothing to me if Phil Spencer is "a really good guy". I'd rather not know these people's names. Xbox keeps trotting out mouthpieces to explain their fuckups and why they're gonna get better. This is PR spin. Stop talking about what you're gonna do, and make good games.

The situation with the gaming ethusiast press has always been messy, and there isn't a great solution. There's always an element of PR to it, that's why publishers send free games and special review packages to these outlets. They want the cheap publicity. HOWEVER, there's a difference between outlets that have built a relationship of credibility with their audience, and those that only exist via the inorganic support of a company like Microsoft. What's described in that video is not MS "opening up to their community", it's funding a fake community of subservient weasels.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
The problem lies with MetaCritic. They could filter out the shill reviews easily, but choose not to. FWIW I find the similar PlayStation and Nintendo-named websites doing reviews of 1P games on those cringe too, but they have nowhere NEAR the proliferation in the MetaCritic aggregate that Xbox-named and centered review sites do for Xbox games.

It does feel like an extension of the astroturfing campaign, and should be investigated into. Sadly if the industry won't do it, government will have to.

I appreciate Jim's approach - let the games do the talking. It works and shows in how well PS is doing world-wide. I can understand, though, that some people would like more and better communication from Sony. Agreed on MS, though. It's gone too far and I don't see MS letting up any time soon. For me, it's completely turned me off the brand. I despise that kind of manipulation and dishonesty.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I appreciate Jim's approach - let the games do the talking. It works and shows in how well PS is doing world-wide. I can understand, though, that some people would like more and better communication from Sony. Agreed on MS, though. It's gone too far and I don't see MS letting up any time soon. For me, it's completely turned me off the brand. I despise that kind of manipulation and dishonesty.
That's a big reason I don't buy their shit, plus no exclusives that move me besides Forza.

The main reason though is the way they blatantly lie, all smug and condescending. It's like they think all consumers are stupid which btw many are.

Also I bought an Xbox One S and used it maybe four times. I disliked halo mp and thought it felt outdated and trash but I tried it bcus so many online made it seem as if it was the pinnacle of mp (maybe once upon a time years ago) but I found Mps such as Uncharted, Killzone, etc infinitely more fun, robust and dynamic. I tried Gears and it was OK but ended up being a shotgun fest I easily acclimated to and it was no real challenge, plus compared to uncharted it felt so static.

Last edited:
Reactions: laynelane

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Jimbo sucks ass, he haven't shown anything for the last two years and he raises prices. Greedy asshat.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Jimbo sucks ass, he haven't shown anything for the last two years and he raises prices. Greedy asshat.
He's living off the success Kaz has made the PlayStation into and reaping it's benefits. He keeps doing anticonsuner shit like raising plus so much he'll undo all that good faith.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
God damn still only 54 reviews on MC for Xbox and it maintains an 87 score. How does OpenCritic have over 100 reviews? something seems fishy here ;)

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
😂😂 LMAO, When will Xbox learn that you can't create artificial hype no matter how hard you try?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
God damn still only 54 reviews on MC for Xbox and it maintains an 87 score. How does OpenCritic have over 100 reviews? something seems fishy here ;)
Meta Critic has 54 on Xbox + 50 on PC (total of 104).
Opencritic has 100 on Xbox + PC (total of 100).

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs