Xbox just price hiked Series X by $100 and nobody is talking about it?

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I think the price of the current consoles, besides switch and series s, are perfectly acceptable for the level of tech you get in them. PS4 got a price cut to $300 in 2016, after inflation that's $392. PS5 is on sale for $399 right now. It is a little sad that Sony isn't pushing harder to get it down permanently though.
Well, here's my gripe. Who asked for that level of tech and what are they doing with it that's worth the asking price?

The PS4 launched with killzone and then The Order a little later. Both were, and still ate, graphical showcases, well worth the price of entry.

I wanted a super powerful PS5, for sure but where's the graphical showcase? Why have powerful hardware if nothing is done with it?

A bigger problem, why buy a PS5pro? What game requires that extra power?

TL;Dr all the consoles are over priced and they won't reduce prices because they don't have to. I just hope it bites them in the arse.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank.
Yeah R+C looks and plays incredible. Horizon, while stunning, is more impressive on PS4 because of how old that machine is, if that makes sense.
Three years in and only one game has shown what the PS5 can do? It ain't enough, chief. Not for £450. Call me tight but 🤷‍♂️

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yeah R+C looks and plays incredible. Horizon, while stunning, is more impressive on PS4 because of how old that machine is, if that makes sense.
Three years in and only one game has shown what the PS5 can do? It ain't enough, chief. Not for £450. Call me tight but 🤷‍♂️
Forgot Spider-Man 2 there. There's more games like Alan Wake 2 and Callisto Protocol that show what these consoles can do, and their best versions are usually on PS5.

• Heart
Reactions: xollowsob

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well, here's my gripe. Who asked for that level of tech and what are they doing with it that's worth the asking price?

The PS4 launched with killzone and then The Order a little later. Both were, and still ate, graphical showcases, well worth the price of entry.

I wanted a super powerful PS5, for sure but where's the graphical showcase? Why have powerful hardware if nothing is done with it?

A bigger problem, why buy a PS5pro? What game requires that extra power?

TL;Dr all the consoles are over priced and they won't reduce prices because they don't have to. I just hope it bites them in the arse.
i asked for that level of tech. never going back to slow hdds and 30fps in consoles.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That Series S at 350 with the PS5 digital currently at 400 (and currently a year of premium Netflix)
Then dropping a 2TB Series X at 600 with some random pollock paint with the upcoming Pro??

chart-monkey.png
I assume MS's idea is: "hey, we don't sell a shit because of having a cheaper console and we're transitioning to focus on the other platforms and slowly kill the Xbox hardwaere. So if we're going to sell a few consoles, at least let's lose less money with each unit sold".

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Graphics aren't going to just keep getting better at the same pace forever. We've reached the point in this industry where tech advancements aren't gonna be as large. I always point to The Order, KZ Shadowfall, sure these games are gorgeous but they aren't the type of games I buy systems for. Technical showcases are often overrated, fools errand to convince myself games like those are what make consoles worth it.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Graphics aren't going to just keep getting better at the same pace forever. We've reached the point in this industry where tech advancements aren't gonna be as large. I always point to The Order, KZ Shadowfall, sure these games are gorgeous but they aren't the type of games I buy systems for. Technical showcases are often overrated, fools errand to convince myself games like those are what make consoles worth it.
They were both graphical showcases and good games. The Order is one of my fave from last gen. Crysis was a graphical showcase and still was great. Unreal, doom, Quake, half-life, they all pushed the graphical boundary and were good games.
I agree that we don't need the power. Is it really worth the small iterative nudges towards 4k/60w/RT, when we can stick with 1080p, blast 120fps with RT, slap some temporal shit on there at ultra settings, all while pushing gameplay. As for smaller budget games, hit 1080p at 60, minimal graphical bells and whistles.
We could have great games, great graphics for a cheap price.

If I were Sony, I would aim the PS6 at a 1080p machine, flog it for cheap as fuck, like I'm talking $249. Port games over to PC after a year and let them spend a shite load of money on expensive hardware to chase the frames and resolution, just like PC used to do back in the day,

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
If I were Sony, I would aim the PS6 at a 1080p machine, flog it for cheap as fuck, like I'm talking $249. Port games over to PC after a year and let them spend a shite load of money on expensive hardware to chase the frames and resolution, just like PC used to do back in the day,
Well thankfully you aren't sony because this is a horrible idea :ROFLMAO:

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
They did put more internal storage in it. Doubled it, in fact.

Say what you will about how much they are gouging their customers for storage, but simply calling this a price hike is disingenuous. The bill of materials is simply not getting any cheaper, and we can see this with the PS5 as well.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Why in the world would Sony sell a PS6 that is a downgrade from its predecessor? Makes no sense.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Well thankfully you aren't sony because this is a horrible idea :ROFLMAO:
Nintendo seem to be doing aight.
Why in the world would Sony sell a PS6 that is a downgrade from its predecessor? Makes no sense.
Because this direction is unsustainable, so sayeth everyone. Hardware is too expensive, games cost too much to make, games take too long to make. Because of that, companies won't take risks, making safe, bland, expensive games that miss the tick-box by five years.

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Nintendo seem to be doing aight.
Did I miss where Nintendo released a next generation console that was a massive downgrade from their previous generation one?
Because this direction is unsustainable, so sayeth everyone. Hardware is too expensive, games cost too much to make, games take too long to make. Because of that, companies won't take risks, making safe, bland, expensive games that miss the tick-box by five years.
Turning down the output resolution to 1080p and making the frame rate worse won't make the game take less time to make.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
They did put more internal storage in it. Doubled it, in fact.

Say what you will about how much they are gouging their customers for storage, but simply calling this a price hike is disingenuous. The bill of materials is simply not getting any cheaper, and we can see this with the PS5 as well.
Lmao, you guys will defend anything.

The pricing is pathetic and doubling their slow ssd storage solution sure doesn't justify a $100 price increase on a console that already had terrible value in any way.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Did I miss where Nintendo released a next generation console that was a massive downgrade from their previous generation one?
The Wii. It sold gangbusters.
Turning down the output resolution to 1080p and making the frame rate worse won't make the game take less time to make.
1080p@120fps with RT and every game at ultra settings. There is a difference between 1080p and 4k, a noticeable difference. Not as noticeable as half price hardware though.