Xbox Q4 2023 (fiscal) earnings: Gaming rev. up 1%, Xbox content + services rev. up 5%, Xbox hardware rev. down 13%

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Xbox the console is the heart of their gaming business.
you clearly clueless or didn't read court case documents, CMA investigation etc..

i'll give you a hint, they don't give a shit about xbox.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
you clearly clueless or didn't read court case documents, CMA investigation etc..

i'll give you a hint, they don't give a shit about xbox.
The console is the heart and soul of xbox. Without the console, its not even xbox anymore. You never seemed to know much. you're always wrong. its pretty cute.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
The console is the heart and soul of xbox. Without the console, its not even xbox anymore. You never seemed to know much. you're always wrong. its pretty cute.
We are starting to see microsoft slowly moving away from that direction by making gamepass available almost everywhere on pc, tablet etc

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
MS has jumped the gun on trying to make cloud its first and foremost business in the beginning of the gen. Why would anyone buy an Xbox if you’re pivoting to cloud? Meanwhile, how are you going to convince people to subscribe to gamepass if you don’t have a platform to capture these people first.
MS fumbled once again.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
MS has jumped the gun on trying to make cloud its first and foremost business in the beginning of the gen. Why would anyone buy an Xbox if you’re pivoting to cloud? Meanwhile, how are you going to convince people to subscribe to gamepass if you don’t have a platform to capture these people first.
MS fumbled once again.
You're right, and this almost killed Xbox and was why the hail mary Acti/King acquisition was needed. I think once that goes through things will start looking up for them at least on the software side. Hardware i'm not sure what their plan is.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Isnt it strange how every quarter the gaming division does worse and worse and yet somehow they manage to "Biggest quarter ever." Obviously theyre cooking the books on some things.
it is so obvious. they manage to make over 15B in gaming. which is completely not true. Sony outsell them everywhere pretty much on everything by huge margin, yet Sony manage to do 26B, which make no sense.

they for sure cooking books. we already saw from FTC case that they are scamming their shareholders.

Reactions: Dabaus

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

"None of this would be entirely shocking for a console a solid three years into its life cycle"

I mean with 3 years in the its life cycle console should peaking at hardware sales... not going down.
IGN has no ideia of what they are talking about.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
"None of this would be entirely shocking for a console a solid three years into its life cycle"

I mean with 3 years in the its life cycle console should peaking at hardware sales... not going down.
yes, 3rd to 5-6th year is a peak. Xbox peaking Bottom...

Reactions: ethomaz

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
it is so obvious. they manage to make over 15B in gaming. which is completely not true. Sony outsell them everywhere pretty much on everything by huge margin, yet Sony manage to do 26B, which make no sense.

they for sure cooking books. we already saw from FTC case that they are scamming their shareholders.
shareholders dont care bc cooking the books is how ms is so wealthy

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You're right, and this almost killed Xbox and was why the hail mary Acti/King acquisition was needed. I think once that goes through things will start looking up for them at least on the software side. Hardware i'm not sure what their plan is.

I think all that does is cover up MS's issues with software management. I said this years ago, putting the cart before the horse was the biggest misstep. Not getting software in a place it needed to be and correcting issues within MS like 18 month contracting clauses. Which is why software was so hit or miss even with studios they currently had.

Developer retention is something thats a must for consistency. SO now instead of making internal changes to hierarchy, which I find puzzling that Phil doesnt talk about openly?

Now they spend $70B just to be relevant. Pretty pathetic in my opinion. Buying properties you had no hand in making, or financially supporting. People love to bring up Sony especially when they were starting out. Heres the deal they bought primarily developers and ate the cost for many publishing deals for third party titles to bring them to more countries and regions.

Sony's disc based system and no publishing fee's is why Square jumped from nitnendo/sega. Same goes for capcom. In what world has MS done something akin to this?
OG XBOX was really the only time, specifically when talking about developers and courting them for dx9 development. Which benefited a boom in PC developers.

Anyone looking at both platforms and saying their history/culture are the same is lying straight up.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Isnt it strange how every quarter the gaming division does worse and worse and yet somehow they manage to "Biggest quarter ever." Obviously theyre cooking the books on some things.
They just keep spending money that is coming from outside the division for acquisition.

MS growth by acquisition reminds me a lot of how Embracer did it and we saw what happened to them (at one point they were worth close to $15B and less than two years later they were bellow $3B.

Right now most of what the Xbox division does is to just destroy value for everyone. Gamepass is not taking off, game sales are low, hardware sales are low, indie games are worth less than ever, their studios are extremely unproductive and most seem unconcerned with actually delivering successful games.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Oh but they do have. They are just shilling for MS as usual.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
There won’t be any net profit now for ABK with Gamepass.
Albeit profits of COD coming from microtransactions. But Warzone players gonna buy microtransactions anyway, so I don't see how Game Pass gonna reach more players to

COD B2P sales are just recouping budgets for marketing and development. I don't think COD 6v6 playerbase willing to pay 200 dollars(as the time of writing this) just to play COD year, instead of just 130 dollars.

Clearly COD won't leverage Game Pass from what I see.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They can never release a CoD campaign again and just milk Warzone and no one will care. It doesn’t need gamepass. Warzone replaced all of that as far as being their bottom line

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Albeit profits of COD coming from microtransactions. But Warzone players gonna buy microtransactions anyway, so I don't see how Game Pass gonna reach more players to

COD B2P sales are just recouping budgets for marketing and development. I don't think COD 6v6 playerbase willing to pay 200 dollars(as the time of writing this) just to play COD year, instead of just 130 dollars.

Clearly COD won't leverage Game Pass from what I see.

They are already making money from microtransactions yet the profits are a billion a year.

Now takeaway people buying 60-70 dollar copies of COD and getting gamepass instead on PC and Xbox.

There’s definitely gonna be a lose in profits.

I highly doubt Gamepass subs will balance the books.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
They are already making money from microtransactions yet the profits are a billion a year.

Now takeaway people buying 60-70 dollar copies of COD and getting gamepass instead on PC and Xbox.

There’s definitely gonna be a lose in profits.

I highly doubt Gamepass subs will balance the books.
I don't understand how they gonna make money back with Game Pass. Even with price of 240 dollars a year it is still not possible.