Xbox Series S’ Lower Specs Will Make it Hard for Graphically Intensive Games to Hold up – Caverns of Mars: Recharged Dev

Unchained

5 Dec 2022
https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-series-...ames-to-hold-up-caverns-of-mars-recharged-dev

Xbox Series S has been a topic of debate pretty much since the day Microsoft unveiled it, and even now, more than two years into the current console generation, it generates conversation over whether its lower specs as compared to the Xbox Series X and PS5 are going to put it at a disadvantage down the road. Developers, too, have been part of that debate and have fallen on both ends of the spectrum, while Microsoft itself has, as one might expect, said that the console is very much not going to hold back development.

According to Caverns of Mars: Recharged’s game designer and producer Tadas Migauskas, however, the Xbox Series S is going to struggle as we get deeper into the generation. Speaking in a recent interview with GamingBolt, Migauskas said that owing to its lower computation power and memory, it will be unable to keep up with games’ technical demands as it gets older, and that it’s unlikely to be able to consistently deliver 1440p/60 FPS games the way Microsoft promised at the time of its unveiling it would.

“Short answer – no,” he said. “If we take the (flawed) metric of FLOPS and compare Xbox Series X to Xbox Series S, you get a 3x difference in GPU computation power. Most of the current games use deferred pipelines, so rendered pixel count can translate to computation complexity pretty directly. Now, if we take the expected resolution targets for both consoles, we get a difference of 2.25x. Add that to lower available memory size, and it gets pretty hard to keep up.”

Plextorage

Banned
26 Feb 2023
phil-spencer-cringe.gif

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
Glad I traded mine in against the PSVR2, got more for it than I paid because of 50% extra trade-in value promotion. At least the XSS was good for something

Reactions: Umar

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
What a surprise. MS not only screwed themselves but the entire industry with it. It's not just about graphics. Gameplay elements and bigger worlds being built will also be held back.

I intentionally held back on getting a current gen Xbox until I could get a Series X.

Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

If the series S was the size of a tablet and as thick as a book, it would fly off the shelves. It's just too big to be worth bothering with.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
If the series S was the size of a tablet and as thick as a book, it would fly off the shelves. It's just too big to be worth bothering with.
No it wouldn't. What difference does it being small makes? It's not a portable.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
More appealing and easier to excuse the short comings
That excuse doesn't fly in a world where the PS5 does so well despite being huge. The obsession with console sizes makes no sense and being small doesn't seem to have helped the Series S that much.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
We are already hearing developer challenges with the S, things will only get worse if we get Pro models.

Phil is gonna be selling the S out of the the trunk of his car at this rate.