Xbox Series S “Nice Option” for Customers, but Can be a “Bottleneck” for Devs – Trine 5 Developer

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Frozenbyte marketing manager Kai Tuovinen said that while the console is certainly a great option to have for those looking to purchase cheaper hardware, from a development perspective, it can potentially become a “bottleneck”, especially for the more technically demanding games.

“More powerful hardware is always better from a developer perspective,” Touvinen said. “I think for more graphically intensive games the Series S can become a bottleneck as supporting it is required. From a player perspective I guess it’s a nice option to have a more affordable console though.”

Of course, this isn’t just a hypothetical at this point. Larian Studios has been facing technical difficulties with getting Baldur’s Gate 3’s splitscreen co-op running properly on the Xbox Series S, resulting in a delayed Xbox launch for the highly anticipated RPG. Last year, Techland also talked about how the console’s GPU was holding development back.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I have good news, DX12 new DirectStorage 1.2 gonna use more of high bandwidth memory because they change priority to use higher bandwidth memory, meaning that 2GB of Series S will be the bottleneck the IO.

Remember when Coliation has to step in to make UE5 Matrix demo working? They would probably have to do it with every games.

Game using UE5 gonna hog more high bandwidth memory thanks becauee it takes more use half-float FP16 geometry rather than full-float FP32 gemometry, so more polygons and mipmap resolution is higher as well, basically it is memory nightmare.

With just 8+2GB, the retarded little brother gonna get absolutely destroyed.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
"Nice option" option if you want to get ripped off by acquiring cheap and weak hardware instead of saving up an extra $100 an getting drastically superior equipment that will last you 8+ years.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAHGamer

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This has come up before:

But MS, unsurprisingly, isn't listening.

Yeah I was going to say this. I remember last year something like this was posted quoting a trine dev as well. This shit is just recycled news that the industry already knows.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This has come up before:

But MS, unsurprisingly, isn't listening.

They're listening, they just don't care. Instead of removing the mandate, they doubled down and released a new version of the S...as long as they get their GamePass subscribers nothing else matters.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Given the output from Xbox Game Studios in the last few years, I think they could have skipped Series X and just focused on making Series S the Wii of its era. Xbox teams are mostly not pushing bleeding edge graphics, and Nintendo clearly does fine with antiquated hardware. If MS had consistent quality releases, they could differentiate themselves as a more accessible way to play AAA games.

Reactions: kuzon

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
As the generation goes on, more and more games will skip Xbox because of the Series S and then bots and paid journalists will spread the fake narrative that "Sony paid them to" 🤦‍♂️
That is when Sony should swoop in and get some cheap exclusivity from devs that don't want to bother with a Series X and Series S version of their game just for about 10% of their sales to be from those platforms.

FFXVI: they got paid by Sony, didn't have to work on a Series S/Series X version, got the marketing push from Sony and the PlayStation fan base, got help from Sony for the PS5 version.

SF6: only about 10% of copies were sold on Xbox and that came at the cost of not getting that FFXVI treatment.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
That is when Sony should swoop in and get some cheap exclusivity from devs that don't want to bother with a Series X and Series S version of their game just for about 10% of their sales to be from those platforms.

FFXVI: they got paid by Sony, didn't have to work on a Series S/Series X version, got the marketing push from Sony and the PlayStation fan base, got help from Sony for the PS5 version.

SF6: only about 10% of copies were sold on Xbox and that came at the cost of not getting that FFXVI treatment.
E1SkISNXoAEduJU

Talking about sale, appearently some people think that FFXVI boxed sale in japan is low is delusional. It's just PS5 got more digital sales than boxed sales rn.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
E1SkISNXoAEduJU

Talking about sale, appearently some people think that FFXVI boxed sale in japan is low is delusional. It's just PS5 got more digital sales than boxed sales rn.
It not even relevant if FFXVI sales are great or not since Xbox wouldn't have helped at all, all games are selling miserably on Xbox specially Japanese games.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
E1SkISNXoAEduJU

We've been through this several times, digital sales in general account for 75% for most of the industry nowadays and for SE they stated it's up to 80% for them.

Xbox FF sales either way are miniscule.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Devs gotta stop slacking then. I can understand high end AAA games having issues at the end of that generation but that indie trash? C'mon.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I've said it since the console spec's were announced, that the Series S would hold the gen back or we would see more PC/PS5 only games because of it later on.

Xbox shills immediately pointed at how PC specced lower than the XS are still being supported. Of course, with their very low IQ, only read the script they got and the idea that min-spec on PC would raise with time, never crossed their minds.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Does Xbox even have any AAA current gen only game of their own?

We are about to enter year 4