Xbox Series X costs 15 times more in power while in standby mode than PS5

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
“For most consoles, the amount of energy they use when in standby mode seems to be negligible, with the exception of the Xbox Series X.”

“It’s been discovered that leaving the Xbox Series X on standby uses up to £59 worth of energy a year. By comparison, the PlayStation 5 only costs £4 a year if left on standby.”

And that’s if using the “energy saver” mode. Without, The series X draws a staggering £132/y in standby.

Oooof, how did such inefficient design get past the regulators. You could essentially fund Ps+ Premium just with the Series X power draw. Save the planet, shut down your Xboxes!

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
i remember an article like this on gaf about a year ago.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
With governments coming down hard on energy efficiency, this is where consoles should really be pulling way ahead of PC.

But Xbox really is designed to be a mini PC with all of the inefficiencies too I guess... although scaling games seems to be easier across many SKU's.

But this will be a key battle ground in the future, to make AAA gaming viable.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
They have an energy saver mode... that isn't the "standby" mode.

Standby is like "move your mouse and your monitor snaps on" kind of thing, energy saver is.. well.. the one you want for energy savings lol

Enjoy being corny Sony fanboys faux raging who can't read past thread titles though.

Last edited:

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022

Standby is like "move your mouse and your monitor snaps on" kind of thing, energy saver is.. well.. the one you want for energy savings lol

Enjoy being corny Sony fanboys faux raging who can't read past thread titles though.
Yeah, the mode they are bitching about is Instant On LOL. The point of that is to instantly bring you to the dashboard. It's not an energy saving mode and it's not intended to be.

More fake outrage.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Stand By: 132
Stand By with Energy Saving: 59

Yeap we can read past title.

BTW StandBy maintain most background console functions like Internet, downloads, uploads, USB, etc…

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com

Stand By: 132
Stand By with Energy Saving: 59

Yeap we can read past title.

Haha ok

No he was just wrong about the current rates of energy prices.

Instant on mode uses 59 now.. it used 132 at launch because energy rates are higher.

Find me where anyone mentioned the actual energy saver mode cost.

edit: In fact the author of these tweets implies it's the exact same as PS5 as he says changing the setting saves you 55.

And energy saver has a bunch of functions turned on too.. it just has a longer startup.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Haha ok

No he was just wrong about the current rates of energy prices.

Instant on mode uses 59 now.. it used 132 at launch because energy rates are higher.

Find me where anyone mentioned the actual energy saver mode cost.

edit: In fact the author of these tweets implies it's the exact same as PS5 as he says changing the setting saves you 55.

And energy saver has a bunch of functions turned on too.. it just has a longer startup.

Nothing to do with energy rates at all.

Stand-by draw 29W at launch… MS improved it to 13W… seems like in UK 13W device running for a month generate a 59 libres bill.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Nothing to do with energy rates at all.

Stand-by draw 29W at launch… MS improved it to 13W… seems like in UK 13W in a month costs around 59 libres.
OK..

But again, that's still STANDY mode.

"Still very much worth switching to Energy Saver for basically a free £55 a year with no visible downside "

So standby (actually instant on) = £59
Energy saver mode = £4

PS5 just doesn't have the same "modes" really. It has energy saver + you can turn on USB charging.

MS has "instant on" and "energy saver" and the differences just appear to be.. startup time.

This dude is just posting known info, WRONG... that was out of date.. and the entire gaming internet made articles about it. Games "journalism" is so fucking bad.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz
24 Jun 2022
All this talk about doing math got me like:

do-the-math.png

P

peter42O

PlayStation fans are so bored that they're looking for any little negative on the Xbox side and the best they can come up with is power consumption. Wow. You guys need November 9th to get here like, tomorrow!! lmao

BadBurger

3 Jul 2022
PlayStation fans are so bored that they're looking for any little negative on the Xbox side and the best they can come up with is power consumption. Wow. You guys need November 9th to get here like, tomorrow!! lmao

Don't think anyone needs to invent anything with the latest GamePass titles announcement and 343i around to be honest.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If Playstation fans are "bored" what are Xbox fans? Dead? What a weird post.

You know, regardless of what kind of "mode" this thing is in, it screams "bad decision" to me to essentially have a console that is always on to such a degree. My 85" tv costs an estimated 20 dollars a year to run. Xbox in its "default standby", no matter what you want to call it, shouldn't cost that much. It just shouldn't even be a thing. But I always turned off those features right away on mine anyway.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
I should sell my Series X. This is absolutely ridiculous in this day and age.

P

peter42O

Don't think anyone needs to invent anything with the latest GamePass titles announcement and 343i around to be honest.

Don't care about Game Pass until Requiem so this doesn't affect me but I will give you 343. They're a clusterfuck.

If Playstation fans are "bored" what are Xbox fans? Dead? What a weird post.

You know, regardless of what kind of "mode" this thing is in, it screams "bad decision" to me to essentially have a console that is always on to such a degree. My 85" tv costs an estimated 20 dollars a year to run. Xbox in its "default standby", no matter what you want to call it, shouldn't cost that much. It just shouldn't even be a thing. But I always turned off those features right away on mine anyway.

Xbox fans are bored to death so it evens out. lol

I don't pay attention to power consumption at all. I do use energy saver mode since day one and whatever it is, it is. Should the power consumption be lower? Absolutely but if it's that much of a concern for people, unplug the damn console and problem solved.