Xbox Series X sells a WHOPPING 279 units in Japan! (Source: Famitsu)

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Wow. Just, wow.

【ソフト&ハード週間販売数】『ポケモン スカーレット・バイオレット』が3週連続の首位! 新作『マリオ+ラビッツ』『遊戯王ラッシュデュエル』もトップ10入り【11/28~12/4】 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

The latest weekly sales charts from Japan show quite the picture.

ハード推定販売台数​

• Switch/28729台(累計1892万8178台)
  • Switch Lite/20091台(累計501万3958台)
  • Nintendo Switch(有機ELモデル)/10万3464台(累計328万7166台)
  • PS5/25379台(累計191万9558台)
  • PS5 デジタル・エディション/2456台(累計29万9694台)
  • Xbox Series X/279台(累計17万1827台)
  • Xbox Series S/1575台(累計22万3025台)
  • PS4/4211台(累計783万2572台)
  • Newニンテンドー2DS LL/111台(累計118万9361台)
At least Series is beating the New 2DS XL!

OP
OP
KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Imagine when Xbox fans commemorated three weeks where it sold 2k units lol
Much like how next year is always going to be huge for Xbox, this generation is always going to be when Xbox finally gains a foothold in Japan. Until they fail to do so. Again.

At least it isn't as bad as the weeks when the Bone sold NEGATIVE units at Japanese retail, which did happen a few times around the start of last gen due to sellbacks and returns.

• fire
Reactions: ethomaz

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Are these the same sales we get on thursday released early or is this just reposting last thursdays results?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Much like how next year is always going to be huge for Xbox, this generation is always going to be when Xbox finally gains a foothold in Japan. Until they fail to do so. Again.

At least it isn't as bad as the weeks when the Bone sold NEGATIVE units at Japanese retail, which did happen a few times around the start of last gen due to sellbacks and returns.
If I say that I believe part of Series sales where due gamers not finding PS5 on stores to buy you will call me crazy?

If PS5 was heavy available in stores the today sales of Series consoles should be lower than what it is.

OP
OP
KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Those Phil Spencer visits to Japan and some studios sure paid off!
The little-known truth is that he wasn't there to talk to developers and publishers, he was there to buy the particular style of Hello Kitty panties he prefers to wear for press events, as he can't find them in his size in Seattle.

• fire
Reactions: Gamernyc78
24 Jun 2022
If I say that I believe part of Series sales where due gamers not finding PS5 on stores to buy you will call me crazy?

If PS5 was heavy available in stores the today sales of Series consoles should be lower than what it is.

That's definitely possible. By what amount I don't know, because I think PS5 sales have started picking up of late in Japan not just out of increased availability but more games that customers there want to buy and maybe more of them are ready to move on to current gen by now.

All I know is if PS5 continues with improved Japan sales and MS doesn't have enough Series S at reasonable pricing to increase unit sales (for whatever reason I think the S has a bit more demand in Japan than the X whereas it's the other way around in the West), they might not be clearing 360's Japan sales this gen after all and that would be kind of sad.

Anyone know the LTD for PS5 and Series in Japan by now? IIRC PS5 crossed 2 million recently; Series were about shy of 400K.

OP
OP
KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That's definitely possible. By what amount I don't know, because I think PS5 sales have started picking up of late in Japan not just out of increased availability but more games that customers there want to buy and maybe more of them are ready to move on to current gen by now.

All I know is if PS5 continues with improved Japan sales and MS doesn't have enough Series S at reasonable pricing to increase unit sales (for whatever reason I think the S has a bit more demand in Japan than the X whereas it's the other way around in the West), they might not be clearing 360's Japan sales this gen after all and that would be kind of sad.

Anyone know the LTD for PS5 and Series in Japan by now? IIRC PS5 crossed 2 million recently; Series were about shy of 400K.
Series S in Japan is in a bit of a precarious place right now, with SquareEnix passing up Xbox releases for the lower-budget games that they had released a bunch of while not releasing them on PS4/5, that's a big chunk of known performers in terms of sales that gamers know won't be coming to Series.

With so much of MS' exclusive library having little to no appeal in Japan, and Sony having so many strategic partnerships with devs and publishers in Japan, and considering the Japanese consumer market tends to be better-informed about tech than western consumers, Xbox really doesn't have a mass-market pull over there. If things hold solid as they are, we are probably going to see Xbox in the sub-1000 unit sales range for another generation.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Imagine when Xbox fans commemorated three weeks where it sold 2k units lol
Was that the time when Series outsold PS in Japan for a few weeks, I think PS was transferring units to another region or something. I think I saw many sales threads on GAF where Japan sales mattered rofl.....

Reactions: ethomaz

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This could go in a regular Japan sales thread and is basically dunking specifically on Xbox. Not necessary.

Reactions: arvfab

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

Not crazy. Another possible reason could also be, that tourists see a console which is not available in their country sitting on a shelf, with a cheaper price tag compared to their currency, and just pick it there and take it home. Talking about the X, of course, as the S sits on shelves everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if the S sales are due to the retro gaming capabilities there (and elsewhere).

This could go in a regular Japan sales thread and is basically dunking specifically on Xbox. Not necessary.
This.

OP
OP
KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Not crazy. Another possible reason could also be, that tourists see a console which is not available in their country sitting on a shelf, with a cheaper price tag compared to their currency, and just pick it there and take it home. Talking about the X, of course, as the S sits on shelves everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if the S sales are due to the retro gaming capabilities there (and elsewhere).

This.
There have been a lot of reliable reports that Xbox stock in Japan is being bought by scalpers from a neighbouring nation, as the lines for the systems are usually a mass of foreign individuals.