Xbox Users Are Sick Of Being Shown Full-Screen Ads

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
When it comes to console UI and home screens, I don't think it's unfair to say that Xbox is the worst of the big three. PlayStation and Nintendo have managed to keep things quite minimalist with the PS5 and Nintendo Switch, and while the Xbox home screen isn't bad, it's definitely more visually cluttered.

Reddit user VeryVideoGame shared the advert in question that they were greeted with upon booting up their Xbox, which is there to remind people about the game's coming to Game Pass, pre-order them if they're interested, and to watch the recent Xbox Game Showcase and Call of Duty Direct if they missed them. Unlike the home screen ads, this fills the entire screen and has to be clicked off before moving on.

It's not exactly the most offensive thing in the world, but it must be frustrating to be met with an advert for something just for turning on your console. Other Reddit users have taken this opportunity to vent their frustration about Xbox's advertising practices as a whole, with user Knives766 fed up with the company "spamming the home screen with garbage."

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
LOL...
and the media tried to make a big fuss about Playstation having ONE AD on the Playstation store (when you actually click into it via your PS5/PS4)... to you know, promote whatever sale that is going on during that specific week!

Reactions: MaxParrish

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I want to see an xbox add that advertises Sea of Thieves on the Ps5.

That would be glorious to see.

Evil Smile GIF

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
So many Xbox shills in that comment section defending Microsoft and playing victim on their behalf

Reactions: The Icon

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Almost first thing when you setup a new X box is you get full page opt out ad for GP.

Last edited:

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
People in the comments saying “hurr durr it’s only been 4 times” lol Were these folks born yesterday? Do they not how this works. YouTube ads used to be like 3-5 seconds and now you get double ads that can be longer than 30s. Accept this shit now and it’ll get worse in the future. But hey, too blinded by brand loyalty to actually care

• brain

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
LOL...
and the media tried to make a big fuss about Playstation having ONE AD on the Playstation store (when you actually click into it via your PS5/PS4)... to you know, promote whatever sale that is going on during that specific week!

No console should have any ads

Reactions: PropellerEar

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I didn't know this was a thing (I haven’t turned on my XsX in ages). Xbox needs to subsidize gamepass somehow, I guess.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Fools, they deserve every inch of this.

Since day one Xbox was always a bad influence in the gaming space of course they would be the one pushing for add in consoles and Xbox fans will gladly keep supporting them.

I remember out of place add on Xbox going back all the way back to the 360 days, what a repulsive line of products and consumers are to blame for it too.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I don’t see any issue with that particular ad. If you miss the showcase or generally don’t keep up with those events, it’s nice to see the upcoming releases as soon as they’re available for preorder.