Xbox version of Black Myth: Wukong reportedly delayed indefinitely

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Lmao thinking a memory leak is going to delay a game indefinitely, this is 100% damage control to make it seem like it's the developer's fault and not the shitty series s
The shitposters at other forums don't know what a memory leak is.

The main problem is not memory leaks, it's memory scarcity. The devs probably hit a std::bad_alloc exception early on. Very difficult to overcome.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You call memory as bug lol

But at essence it is bad program code.
Memory is when a program allocate memory but not free up after use… that happens because the program logic/code doesn’t do the job correctly.

In the case of a game we can list some causes:

1) The game code is allocating memory but not feeling all of it… that is the developer burden.

2) Developer code is fine but the Engine code is allocating but freeing all… that is a Engine burden… in this case Unreal Engine 5.

3) Both developer and Engine code are fine but the APIs of the platform is not… in the case of Series consoles it is the DirectX API used that can be allocating and not feeing it.

Basically these are the place the issue can be.
Developer code, Engine code or the platform APIs code.

Memory leak allow for all the memory to be used over the time and that will either make the OS start to use Swap (becoming super slow even on SSD) or crash the program.

In any case I don’t call memory leak bug because it just bad programming code… if you keep track of what you are doing and free up the memory used correctly you won’t have memory leak.

PS. Of course this is using a language that compiles to native code like the used in games and not something like Java or .NET… in this case all the free up memory is done by the garbage collection… so the issue will be always on the virtual machine / JIT being good enough to free up the memory it used… and in a lot of cases it doesn’t do a good job.

I still prefer to have the control in my hands so even if it is way more work you doing a code where you free up everything you use in C/C++ will be a better job than using some auto garbage collector… but these new languages doesn’t give option to do it yourself.

Games are made in the old languages so either is developer, Engine or MS platform APIs faulty here.

At the end the source of memory leak needs to be fixed.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
UE5 is written in C++, and C++ is very easy to trigger memory leak if not a old ass programmer.
Err… in C++ you can make sure your program won’t have memory leak… you control the memory allocation and free up.

If UE5 has memory leak it is an Epic’s developer issue.

But I know most programmers doesn’t follow programming best practices to avoid memory leak.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
But I know most programmers doesn’t follow programming best practices to avoid memory leak.
That usually happens when programmers assume their experience in other languages translates to C++ where they have none.
Especially Java programmers.

Reactions: ethomaz

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
I disagree with this simply because cross-gen required the base PS4/XBO consoles which had 8GB of RAM which is what the Series S has while the CPU/GPU/SSD is better. Series S was never meant to be the Series X or a PS5. It was meant to be a cheaper option for those who didn't need (like parents with kids) to buy a Series X.

You can disagree all you want, but Series S was shit from the start of the gen even for cross gen games. Go back to DF analysis in 2020 in some games and onwards.